There are going to be a couple dozen good DTs this FA

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah leave off the best guy available

Newsflash for ya, he's not "available" at all. You've managed to be wrong about every single thing when it comes to David Irving. That takes some work.

Verdict

Reaction score
No, he needs to be cut.

Rip off that bandaid once and for all and stop wasting money on a non-starter.

I have no problem with cutting him. And emotionally, I have some of the same feelings you do. He’s not starting material, at least on a high level.

But he is also a bit of an unknown in that Marinelli sort of used him like a Swiss Army knife, and he never really settled in at a single position. Very few players can play more than one position well and that’s what the team asked him to do. It is possible that he was mismanaged just like many other facets of the team.

I don’t think it hurts to ask him to take a pay cut to stay with the team and if he’s not good enough, cut him late in the year. It doesn’t hurt to have him evaluated by the new coaching staff. Obviously if he can’t pass a physical then all that goes out the window.

I think this may be his final year under contract. If he ends up playing at a reasonably good level, he may somehow enter into the comp pick formula next year when he leaves as a free agent. At least that would be the hope.

I am hoping Witten leaves and some clueless team pays him to stink up their roster and we get some sort of comp pick out of him next year, although that it’s doubtful anyone is going to pay him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem with cutting him. And emotionally, I have some of the same feelings you do. He’s not starting material, at least on a high level.

But he is also a bit of an unknown in that Marinelli sort of used him like a Swiss Army knife, and he never really settled in at a single position. Very few players can play more than one position well and that’s what the team asked him to do. It is possible that he was mismanaged just like many other facets of the team.

Is it just as possible that he was never that good to begin with? That he was a 3-4 defensive end, drafted by a team that then switched over to a 4-3, making it why "he never really settled in"?

I don’t think it hurts to ask him to take a pay cut to stay with the team and if he’s not good enough, cut him late in the year. It doesn’t hurt to have him evaluated by the new coaching staff. Obviously if he can’t pass a physical then all that goes out the window.

It "hurts" when there's guaranteed money involved, which any agent will insist upon in any restructured contract. Neither Crawford nor any other player will sign over everything to have no guarantees. And what's that "paycut" you're referring to? How much does that involve?

I think this may be his final year under contract. If he ends up playing at a reasonably good level, he may somehow enter into the comp pick formula next year when he leaves as a free agent. At least that would be the hope.

That seems like foolish hope to me, no offense to you. He's at the end of the line NOW. He missed most of last year and is just off of surgical procedures on both hips. Do you honestly think he would have any market a year from now? And do you actually want to plan your team strategy around that hope?

I am hoping Witten leaves and some clueless team pays him to stink up their roster and we get some sort of comp pick out of him next year, although that it’s doubtful anyone is going to pay him.

Forget about any bottom rung comp picks and make your roster decisions based on fielding your best team this year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Is it just as possible that he was never that good to begin with? That he was a 3-4 defensive end, drafted by a team that then switched over to a 4-3, making it why "he never really settled in"?

It "hurts" when there's guaranteed money involved, which any agent will insist upon in any restructured contract. Neither Crawford nor any other player will sign over everything to have no guarantees. And what's that "paycut" you're referring to? How much does that involve?

That seems like foolish hope to me, no offense to you. He's at the end of the line NOW. He missed most of last year and is just off of surgical procedures on both hips. Do you honestly think he would have any market a year from now? And do you actually want to plan your team strategy around that hope?

Forget about any bottom rung comp picks and make your roster decisions based on fielding your best team this year.

I am not of the opinion that we “need” to keep Crawford around. I am also ok with cutting him.

I have a feeling that you view Crawford in much the same light as I do Witten and if so I have no quarrel with that. I can see that school of thought. I’m not a Crawford “fan” I’m just neutral on him. If they want to get a look at him with no added guaranteed money then that’s fine. I am not for giving him any additional money nor extending his contract.

Yes it is possible that he was never that good because he was drafted as a 3-4 end but they did extend him. So IDK.

I’m not giving Crawford a pass. I’m just saying Marinelli is such an old fool that it’s hard to know that much about what we have.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There will be ample opportunity for Dallas to turn DT into a strength from a weakness.
No reason not to sign a couple of decently - but not ridiculously - priced players at the position.
Hmm, Shelton, Brockers, Suh, McCoy, Pierce from Baltimore, Billings, Snacks, Robinson, ect.
Every single one of these players is worse than Collins, except maybe Brockers, and against the run, none are better than Woods.

It is not the 1990s. If you can't penetrate, you're not valuable. There's a reason all of these guys are going to be available.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not of the opinion that we “need” to keep Crawford around. I am also ok with cutting him.

I have a feeling that you view Crawford in much the same light as I do Witten and if so I have no quarrel with that. I can see that school of thought. I’m not a Crawford “fan” I’m just neutral on him. If they want to get a look at him with no added guaranteed money then that’s fine. I am not for giving him any additional money nor extending his contract.

Yes it is possible that he was never that good because he was drafted as a 3-4 end but they did extend him. So IDK.

I am fully for cutting him entirely. I want that full $8 million in cap space. And I will use my monies for players that do have some form of a starting or at least a fixed role vs a 'maybe we can play him here' veteran on his last legs (literally).

I’m not giving Crawford a pass. I’m just saying Marinelli is such an old fool that it’s hard to know that much about what we have.

I can't argue with you on Marinelli. He did an incredible amount of damage to this defensive line while he was here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that it's a buyer's market, but I consider some of the names you listed as "ridiculously priced", like Brockers and Suh, and possibly McCoy. Those guys are used to making the big bucks.

Maybe Jerry will sweet talk them into taking less play to come here to play in Jerry World and a chance at a SB...:muttley:
Well ok, I had myself convinced or it may sound more believable until I mentioned SB. :lmao2:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am fully for cutting him entirely. I want that full $8 million in cap space. And I will use my monies for players that do have some form of a starting or at least a fixed role vs a 'maybe we can play him here' veteran on his last legs (literally).

I can't argue with you on Marinelli. He did an incredible amount of damage to this defensive line while he was here.

Right there with you on this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Jerry will sweet talk them into taking less play to come here to play in Jerry World and a chance at a SB...:muttley:
Well ok, I had myself convinced or it may sound more believable until I mentioned SB. :lmao2:

Sadly, we're 'just another team' at this point.
:(

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford needs a significant pay cut and keep him around to avoid the dead money. Plus if he hits FA instead of getting cut he fits into the comp pick formula.

I think if we release him he will not count toward the comp picks. I believe they have to be were their contract ended normally.
Such as RFA and ERFA, if they are not tendered an offer, they then become FA's and do not count toward the comp picks.
We lost, I think it was Keith Smith at FB from that. Which is why they then traded for Olawale.

I do agree Crawford needs to take a pay cut, but to what, it still will be too much, so I prefer they just release him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There will be ample opportunity for Dallas to turn DT into a strength from a weakness.
No reason not to sign a couple of decently - but not ridiculously - priced players at the position.
Hmm, Shelton, Brockers, Suh, McCoy, Pierce from Baltimore, Billings, Snacks, Robinson, ect.
ill take 2 please...

kskboys

Reaction score
Every single one of these players is worse than Collins, except maybe Brockers, and against the run, none are better than Woods.

It is not the 1990s. If you can't penetrate, you're not valuable. There's a reason all of these guys are going to be available.
That's simply not true.

So then, why is Collins available?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think Kinlaw will be there. And like you, I'm also expecting the team to be looking at cornerback, either in round one or round two.

I don't see it. If we let Byron walk, I believe the plan is to start Lewis and Awuzie. If we let Brown walk as well, then I think we'll be looking to add a mid-round corner to compete with a cheap vet for the nickel spot.

Not saying that's the approach I would take, but I believe it is how Dallas is going to handle it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A dozen DTs being available sounds like music to mine ears!:thumbup:

Cowboys will likely acquire a 3rd tier guy who's the cheapest. :omg:

Last edited:

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Yeah, and for the first time in forever, I actually have hope that we'll address this position of weakness.
Just a tiny bit. I still feel that Jerruh will be cool with dumpster diving like he has in so many years passed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see it. If we let Byron walk, I believe the plan is to start Lewis and Awuzie. If we let Brown walk as well, then I think we'll be looking to add a mid-round corner to compete with a cheap vet for the nickel spot.

Not saying that's the approach I would take, but I believe it is how Dallas is going to handle it.

I actually agree with you that I also think Awuzie and Lewis will be the prohibitive starters after Jones leaves in free agency. But I believe they will use a premium pick on another cornerback to add to that group and challenge to start at some point (or provide depth at the beginning).

Keep in mind that both Lewis and Awuzie are unrestricted free agents themselves following this season. This team will need an influx of talent at the cornerback position no matter what.