There are going to be a couple dozen good DTs this FA

Tussinman

Reaction score
You save his 7 Million salary by cutting him but take a dead cap charge of 4 Million. Thats a savings of 3.
No. He had a 10.1 million cap hit for 2019 but had 4.2 million dollars left in prorated signing bonus (3.1 in 2019 and 1.1 in 2020).

Cowboys would of payed the 4.2 million signing bonus hit to rid him in 2019 but would of been off the hook for his 10.1 cap hit (would of saved 5.9 million)

2019 charge for crawford was 10.1 million, if we had cut him it would of been a 4.2 hit (5.9 million dollar savings).

That's was enough money to sign 2 superior players last off-season

Kaiser

Reaction score
That's was enough money to sign 2 superior players last off-season

They rolled over 20 Million in cap space from last year, they had enough money to sign whoever they wanted. They were banking on a breakout by Maliek Collins in his walk year and Woods staying healthy and neither one happened. Its fun to think about Hankins in the middle but he wasn't a scheme fit for Marinelli for better or worse. Also Woods was above average against the run at the 1T for a super low salary, you have to have guys like that on the field in the salary cap era.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They rolled over 20 Million in cap space from last year, they had enough money to sign whoever they wanted. They were banking on a breakout by Maliek Collins in his walk year and Woods staying healthy and neither one happened. Its fun to think about Hankins in the middle but he wasn't a scheme fit for Marinelli for better or worse. Also Woods was above average against the run at the 1T for a super low salary, you have to have guys like that on the field in the salary cap era.
Now your bringing up "we like our guys" or "rod knows best" which is a completely different point. We could of replaced Crawford for the exact price of signing 2 superior players but we couldn't since "Crawfords our friend" "it will make us look dumb for signing him" "rod likes position flex aka being medicore at multiple positions".

90% of NFL teams Crawford isn't on the roster in 2019 at 10 million hit. The interior line was a laughing stock (aging overpaid crawford, convington whose a back-up, maliek whose injury prone and not that great against the run).

LOL at them banking on this line doing anything substanial, especially when there was obvious alternatives without affect the roll-over cap that they wanted to preserve for future contracts coming up

Kaiser

Reaction score
Now your bringing up "we like our guys" or "rod knows best" which is a completely different point.

I'm talking about those two particular DTs because they are the ones you mentioned. They aren't the comparison to Crawford because he played more DE than DT. And whatever you think of position flex, its valuable to have your 5th DL able to play every one of the 4 DL positions.

Kaiser

Reaction score
90% of NFL teams Crawford isn't on the roster in 2019 at 10 million hit. The interior line was a laughing stock (aging overpaid crawford, convington whose a back-up, maliek whose injury prone and not that great against the run).

We were 13th in rushing yards allowed, so apparently 19 teams were "worse than laughing stock".

Crawford was overpaid. Water is wet. No one doubts that. But that decision was made years before and in 2019 the decision is whether you take the cap hit and sign a guy at a similar salary or roll with Crawford - who was one of your team leaders. Even in your numbers the team would have saved less than 2% of the teams salary cap by cutting him.

Big_D

Reaction score
I agree that it's a buyer's market, but I consider some of the names you listed as "ridiculously priced", like Brockers and Suh, and possibly McCoy. Those guys are used to making the big bucks.

Seems like we're willing to overspend in plenty of areas, but never on the interior Dline. I'd be OK with a high priced free agent. Specially a 26 year old Chris Jones. The top DT in FA.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They aren't the comparison to Crawford because he played more DE than DT. And whatever you think of position flex, its valuable to have your 5th DL able to play every one of the 4 DL positions.
That makes it worst. They already have 2 high dollar DE's, they don't need a 10 million cap hit to occasionally rotate to DE and be medicore. There's absolutely no balance on the line when you do this and it leads to players like Convington being your starter
Even in your numbers the team would have saved less than 2% of the teams salary cap by cutting him.
My point wasn't saving money, my point was you could literally of upgraded arguably the 2 weakest positions on the team (which would help them win football games) without affecting your future cap versus keeping a guy whose going to be essentially a serviceable back-up/veteran

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like we're willing to overspend in plenty of areas, but never on the interior Dline. I'd be OK with a high priced free agent. Specially a 26 year old Chris Jones. The top DT in FA.

I also woudn't mind spending but I think he will be out of our range.

Big_D

Reaction score
I also woudn't mind spending but I think he will be out of our range.

With Quinn, Lawrence and Jones that can transform a mediocre D into a great one. It's definitely wishful thinking but I wish they would take the position seriously. Maybe someone like Quinton Jefferson from Seattle? A year older and not as pricey.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's your preference. I see others say they want more muscle than fat on our 1 tech. I don't know who to believe.

all fatty implies is a Big 1-tech like snacks harrison 340 but strong as Ox

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like the way you describe that. That would be great to have to plug up the middle. 340 is a big boy.

yes it would...i think we all got sick and tired of being run up the middle last year and the year before especially by the rams in playoffs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Quinn, Lawrence and Jones that can transform a mediocre D into a great one. It's definitely wishful thinking but I wish they would take the position seriously. Maybe someone like Quinton Jefferson from Seattle? A year older and not as pricey.

I'm hopeful that they can sign at least one free agent DT to help improve in tha area. Two would be ideal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
yes it would...i think we all got sick and tired of being run up the middle last year and the year before especially by the rams in playoffs
Is this Snacks Harrison expected to be available when the Cowboys first pick gets on the clock?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That makes it worst. They already have 2 high dollar DE's, they don't need a 10 million cap hit to occasionally rotate to DE and be medicore. There's absolutely no balance on the line when you do this and it leads to players like Convington being your starter
My point wasn't saving money, my point was you could literally of upgraded arguably the 2 weakest positions on the team (which would help them win football games) without affecting your future cap versus keeping a guy whose going to be essentially a serviceable back-up/veteran

Notice the dance. Deflecting from one thing to another to another after being proven to be wrong.