There is hope for Randy Gregory

conner01

Reaction score
Even Gordon has finally got back on the field. One thing about dealing with people who have addiction issues, you can never depend on them
If they get their lives straight, it’s great
But never plan on that happening
If he does that’s great for him

superonyx

Reaction score
The answer is yes. There is always hope. Our team clearly won’t count on anything. In fact he wouldn’t even count on himself. He has an issue that will never get fixed. It’s a lifetime problem.
But the possibility does exist that he comes back and contributes.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Even Gordon has finally got back on the field. One thing about dealing with people who have addiction issues, you can never depend on them

He uses marijuana for his mental issues. He has to find another way to treat it.

From the Dallas News site....
"Questions arise about his mental health. Sources say Randy is bipolar."

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't think Gregory will ever play another down in the NFL
I agree. I hope for his sake that he proves us wrong because that would indicate that he got his life together at least enough for the league to give him that chance.
His history, however, indicates that him playing will be a long shot, IMO.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
knowing people of addiction, I'd place my bet he's already failed another drug test if not more, unfortunately!
Yep, just because we haven't heard of any other failed tests doesn't mean they haven't occurred. That being said, his suspension is done and he is eligible to apply for reinstatement, if I'm not mistaken. Would the league not have already announced his next (lifetime?) ban if he had failed another test? I don't know the league's policy there...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He uses marijuana for his mental issues. He has to find another way to treat it.

From the Dallas News site....
"Questions arise about his mental health. Sources say Randy is bipolar."

He uses marijuana because he likes it. As you say, there are other ways to treat mental issues that do not violate his work policy so if he wanted to give up the drug and play, he would.

I don't want to excuse his marijuana use by saying he uses it for medical purposes. He uses it because he wants to.

From the combine:

"I don't wake up every day saying, I'd really love to go smoke," he said. "It's not a struggle for me every day (now), it really isn't. In the past, hell yeah, it's been a struggle. It really has been. Now, I'm focused on my dream."

Gregory said he first smoked marijuana after graduating from Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers, Ind., and before enrolling at Arizona Western Community College in 2011. He had failed to qualify academically at Purdue, which represented a considerable disappointment to him, and Gregory said he turned to marijuana to cope with the anxiety.

He sat out the 2012 season with a broken leg but was still pursued by major colleges. In 2013 he transferred to Nebraska, where he officially tested positive for marijuana twice, in January 2014 and April 2014. (Gregory said Nebraska officials told him he would be kicked off the team if he were to fail a third test.)

Gregory said he has not smoked marijuana since December, but because his THC levels were so elevated, the drug remained in his system at the combine. Thus, the positive test.

"I was worse at Nebraska than I've ever been at any other time of my life," Gregory said. "But I know how I am now. I think if teams really look at how I am now more so than the past, they'll see I'm making strides to get better, as a person and as a player."

Asked if anyone at Nebraska bears any responsibility for his situation, Gregory said no. "Their job isn't to focus on (whether) these kids are smoking. Their job is to coach us. We should be able to take it upon ourselves and to have enough character to not do it. At the time, I did not. I really didn't. ...

"At the end of the day, it was my fault. I was being selfish. I was being stubborn. I felt like I could do things my way and it would work. And it didn't work."

rockj7

Reaction score

Did you also see Gordon had a few 100yd games

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
knowing people of addiction, I'd place my bet he's already failed another drug test if not more, unfortunately!

Again, I don't see this as an addiction. He smokes because it relieves him from the mental stress of his so called bipolar issues. He just needs to find another way to treat his bipolar frame of mind.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he’s gone all this time without failing another test, then I don’t see why he won’t play next year.

I know this may seem strange Randy Gregory the weed smoker and sober Randy Gregory could be entirely two different people and players.

Which brings to mine.........Cailf just legalized recreational pot smoking. Does this mean Rams, Raiders and 49ers players are exempt from the league ban on pot?

John813

Reaction score
Well you're wrong cause he has passed every drug test so far.
Not being rude, but how do you know?
Was there a recent article on that?
IIRC They don't discuss any new failed tests when he is serving a suspension for a prior failed test.

I know this may seem strange Randy Gregory the weed smoker and sober Randy Gregory could be entirely two different people and players.

Which brings to mine.........Cailf just legalized recreational pot smoking. Does this mean Rams, Raiders and 49ers players are exempt from the league ban on pot?

No, still banned by the league.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He uses marijuana because he likes it. As you say, there are other ways to treat mental issues that do not violate his work policy so if he wanted to give up the drug and play, he would.

I don't want to excuse his marijuana use by saying he uses it for medical purposes. He uses it because he wants to.

From the combine:

Of course he likes it. He doesn't have the mental fatique or stress of being bipolar while under the influence.