There is hope for Randy Gregory

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Show me factual evidence that one can be addicted to pot. A medical opinion. I have used pot for over 25 or so years off and on. I smoked regularly when I was in my early 20s - late 20s. Stopped for a long, long while and didn't start up until it was legalized here in Oregon. I am now 48. I am not, or have ever been addicted to pot. I have no internal pain or regret if I am off of it.

You have your opinion on why he uses, and I have mine. I am not making any excuse.

We don't know the day to day treatment of his condition as of today.

"How is bipolar disorder treated?

If you’re diagnosed with bipolar disorder, your doctor will create a plan of action for you. Your treatment options may include:

- psychotherapy involving interpersonal, behavioral, or social rhythm therapy
- medication, such as mood stabilizers and anti-anxiety medications
- certain lifestyle changes, such as a planned exercise regimen or sleep schedule"
People get addicted to cigarettes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dion Jordan hadn't played a meaningful down in 3 years, but goes on to record 4 sacks for the Seahawks this year.

Peeps?

how many drug tests do you think he has failed over the past year he has been out? I would bet several. He will NEVER play a down in the NFL.

tideh20heel

Reaction score
He uses marijuana because he likes it. As you say, there are other ways to treat mental issues that do not violate his work policy so if he wanted to give up the drug and play, he would.

I don't want to excuse his marijuana use by saying he uses it for medical purposes. He uses it because he wants to.

From the combine:
My girlfriend suffers from anxiety and a bi polar disorder. Telling someone to just “use something else” is not nearly as easy as it sounds. It very well could be that weed works best for him. Psychiatric medicines often have wildly different effects of different people. The League should focus on performance enhancers. Gregory sitting on his couch smoking is having zero effect on the league’s precious image.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
He most likely is in some good physical shape. I doubt he has been sitting on the couch eating chips and dip for the past year.
He has all off season to get is shape and some PS games will get him if "football" shape. He will be coming into TC in the same "football" shape as most players.

When is he actually eligable to return?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how many drug tests do you think he has failed over the past year he has been out? I would bet several. He will NEVER play a down in the NFL.
In the past the media reported when he had failed another test while on suspension. I think they would know if he failed on this time but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

They could have him completely drugged up with legal prescription drugs at this point if he is really bipolar.

My gut feelng is he will be available for training camp but is a high risk to fail during camp due to the pressure.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When is he actually eligable to return?

he was eligible to apply on December 6th. He and his agent decided to wait until the 2018 NFL year starts. I think that is mid February, or mid march, need to look it up. He can apply for reinstatement then.
they decided to wait as not to be a distraction from the teams playoff run.

Reaction score
Not being rude, but how do you know?
Was there a recent article on that?
IIRC They don't discuss any new failed tests when he is serving a suspension for a prior failed test.

This is correct.

All the testing that has been done since he's been suspended has not been made public. Once he asks for reinstatement, those tests will be used to determine if he can come back. Then we will find out about them. If he's been clean, we will hear about it and his chances would be pretty good that he will be reinstated.

There were rumors back in the spring that NFL types tested him and he failed. And when they tried to talk to him about it, he ran them off. Don't know if it's true or not.

To me I'll believe he plays again when I see it. Until then, he's a non-entity. The team cannot count on him at all and must act accordingly.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is correct.

All the testing that has been done since he's been suspended has not been made public. Once he asks for reinstatement, those tests will be used to determine if he can come back. Then we will find out about them. If he's been clean, we will hear about it and his chances would be pretty good that he will be reinstated.

There were rumors back in the spring that NFL types tested him and he failed. And when they tried to talk to him about it, he ran them off. Don't know if it's true or not.

To me I'll believe he plays again when I see it. Until then, he's a non-entity. The team cannot count on him at all and must act accordingly.

Right, if he plays he may be a bonus. Nothing to lose at this point to see what he can contribute, if at all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He uses marijuana because he likes it. As you say, there are other ways to treat mental issues that do not violate his work policy so if he wanted to give up the drug and play, he would.

I don't want to excuse his marijuana use by saying he uses it for medical purposes. He uses it because he wants to.

From the combine:

He uses marijuana because that's what has been effective for him in dealing with his mental issues. He's likely been using it for years as it gave relief. Many people with mental health problems have to try numerous medications to find the one that works for them. This isn't a simple "take this instead" deal.

More generally, it is pretty bizarre that I (living in CA) can walk to a store and buy marijuana legally but NFL players can't enjoy the medicinal benefits.

Now off to the dispensary.

kazzd58

Reaction score
Even Gordon has finally got back on the field. One thing about dealing with people who have addiction issues, you can never depend on them
If they get their lives straight, it’s great
But never plan on that happening
If he does that’s great for him

People we are talking about weed plant that is proven to heal not kill but heal... Marijuana is not a drug! Acting like marijuana is crack or something... I bet he plays 10 times better after smoking too..

Im just saying Lets be real about it and not sugar coat it.. is a natural herb that heals multiple issues that goes on in the human body especially us Melenated people it actually have a purporse its a reason its here on earth to fight the bs...

Plus If people are healed how will dr's make there money

just though Id bring some insight into waht we are discussing and acting like is a drug addiction or harmful lets state facts while we hope the league stop the bs on the benefits for the ones that do use it.

Dont judge that man not you but the others

slick325

Reaction score
Rooting for this kid. Loved his skill set coming out of Nebraska. Hope either the Feds start moving inthe same direction as many states and the League follows suit as it relates to marijuana. And, I hope he is able to abide by the CBA and get back on the field.

Probably just me but hey...

Greasylake17

Reaction score
Guys come on. He has not played football in 2 years. Forget about him. He wont be a factor. Enough with these pipe dreams . Its part of whats wrong with this team. Stop drafting these projects. We are not good enough to waste picks ( no matter what round it is )

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If he actually does have a mental disorder, which has never been officially declared as far as I know, (just assumptions), and marijuana is what controls it, he can get a medical prescription in pill or oil form to control it. But I don't think that is the preferred method for Randy, he prefers to lite up and smoke at will.