There is hope for Randy Gregory

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
knowing people of addiction, I'd place my bet he's already failed another drug test if not more, unfortunately!

This is not necessarily true. There are many people that are successful in rehab and continue to stay sober / drug free.
People need to get over this..once an addict, they will always fail...syndrome....

Not saying he has not failed a test. But chance are he has passed his test also. As he and his agent decided not to apply for reinstatement until the league year starts. He was eligible to apply on December 6th. But they did not want to disrupt the team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Of course he likes it. He doesn't have the mental fatique or stress of being bipolar while under the influence.

Of course he likes it because it makes him high.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Not being rude, but how do you know?
Was there a recent article on that?
IIRC They don't discuss any new failed tests when he is serving a suspension for a prior failed test.

No, still banned by the league.
He's eligible to reapply for reinstatement. They wouldn't say he's eligible if he had failed more tests and Jerry in the past has said he hasn't heard of any failures. This last suspension wasn't even for a failed test, he missed the test because he was in rehab. The nfl front office is a joke. They went easy on Le'veon Bell for missing a test because he changed his phone number and forgot to tell them.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The high is what relieves the pain. Not rocket science.

The high is what makes him feel good, which is what it was about with Gregory. If he had mental problems and wanted them to be treated, he could have gone to a doctor and been treated. He tested positive at least twice for marijuana while in college. Don't you think if he had said that he takes it because it "relieves the pain," the coaches would have gotten him treated?

Quit acting like Gregory smokes dope because he's trying to treat a mental illness. He doesn't give it up because he likes it just like most dope smokers. There's a big difference in those who need medical marijuana to treat actual problems and those who just want to get high and like that feeling. In fact, the ones who need it for treatment of mental illness, pain and inflammation and even seizures, don't actually need the THC that makes you high, they need the CBD, which doesn't make you high.

You're making an excuse for Gregory when there is none. He's addicted to pot (and yes, you can be addicted to pot) because he smoked it, liked the feeling he got from it and wanted to keep smoking it.

diefree666

Reaction score
The pressures of preparing and playing in the NFL will drive him back to the weed pretty quickly so anyone thinking he would be around long is nuts.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The high is what makes him feel good, which is what it was about with Gregory. If he had mental problems and wanted them to be treated, he could have gone to a doctor and been treated. He tested positive at least twice for marijuana while in college. Don't you think if he had said that he takes it because it "relieves the pain," the coaches would have gotten him treated?

Quit acting like Gregory smokes dope because he's trying to treat a mental illness. He doesn't give it up because he likes it just like most dope smokers. There's a big difference in those who need medical marijuana to treat actual problems and those who just want to get high and like that feeling. In fact, the ones who need it for treatment of mental illness, pain and inflammation and even seizures, don't actually need the THC that makes you high, they need the CBD, which doesn't make you high.

You're making an excuse for Gregory when there is none. He's addicted to pot (and yes, you can be addicted to pot) because he smoked it, liked the feeling he got from it and wanted to keep smoking it.

Show me factual evidence that one can be addicted to pot. A medical opinion. I have used pot for over 25 or so years off and on. I smoked regularly when I was in my early 20s - late 20s. Stopped for a long, long while and didn't start up until it was legalized here in Oregon. I am now 48. I am not, or have ever been addicted to pot. I have no internal pain or regret if I am off of it.

You have your opinion on why he uses, and I have mine. I am not making any excuse.

We don't know the day to day treatment of his condition as of today.

"How is bipolar disorder treated?

If you’re diagnosed with bipolar disorder, your doctor will create a plan of action for you. Your treatment options may include:

- psychotherapy involving interpersonal, behavioral, or social rhythm therapy
- medication, such as mood stabilizers and anti-anxiety medications
- certain lifestyle changes, such as a planned exercise regimen or sleep schedule"

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score

What "treatment" specifically do you suggest he takes that will definitely take care of issues he may have? If that treatment fails...then what? It seems like you're making a lot of assumptions.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The answer is yes. There is always hope. Our team clearly won’t count on anything. In fact he wouldn’t even count on himself. He has an issue that will never get fixed. It’s a lifetime problem.
But the possibility does exist that he comes back and contributes.
Gordon made an appearance, so I agree, there is always hope, does that translate to Gregorys' situation... we will find out, too much invested at this point to bail.
Just going to watch how this unfolds.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Marijuana can be psychologically addictive. Yes.

However your post shows a lack of understanding of the relationship between mental health disorder and addiction.

It’s not so simple as “he smokes becaude it gets him high”.

There is a much more complicated cause and effect relationship between the two.

Simply put, if Randy does in fact have bipolar disorder, then that can have a marked increase of his susceptibility to becoming addicted to drugs, including marijuana.

And there are many reasons that people with mental health issues do self medicate by using drugs. It’s not as simple as “getting treatment” from a psychiatrist.

There are many treatment methods for bipolar disorder, however, it is a very difficult and complicated disease to treat. It can take years to help somebody improve their life when they have bipolar disorder and the treatment is lifelong.

Without knowing Randy personally or being involved in his treatment, there is no way for somebody like you to know what does or does not play into his addiction and desire to use marijuana. So simply stating “he does it because he likes it” is quite frankly, highly ignorant.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i don't think I would be depending on randy to ever play a another down for the dallas cowboys that was a second round throw away pick by jed

LittleD

Reaction score
If he’s gone all this time without failing another test, then I don’t see why he won’t play next year.

I don't think we know if he's failed another test or not. I think Jerry wants him to get himself right but, I don't think he believes he'll be able to beat his addiction issues. He just can't kick the need for MJ and it's going to end his NFL career before it begins. Sad for the young man for sure!

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
I would love to have him back. Question is, is he still in shape? Probably not. Then how long will it take for him to get in football shape?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's eligible to reapply for reinstatement. They wouldn't say he's eligible if he had failed more tests and Jerry in the past has said he hasn't heard of any failures. This last suspension wasn't even for a failed test, he missed the test because he was in rehab. The nfl front office is a joke. They went easy on Le'veon Bell for missing a test because he changed his phone number and forgot to tell them.

Unfortunately the truth will not sway some persons, well, most persons opinions and thoughts. They will continue to repeat the same crap the spew.
This is in all walks of life on all subjects by the way.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to have him back. Question is, is he still in shape? Probably not. Then how long will it take for him to get in football shape?

He most likely is in some good physical shape. I doubt he has been sitting on the couch eating chips and dip for the past year.
He has all off season to get is shape and some PS games will get him if "football" shape. He will be coming into TC in the same "football" shape as most players.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marijuana can be psychologically addictive. Yes.

Is not everything psychologically addictive?
Smoking, drinking, eating chips....

So it can be changed. Maybe he has finally broken that.

Yes, not even close to being the same subject as to being reinstated or not. But couldn't resist...:laugh:

silver

Reaction score
I would gladly have Gregory back. God knows we need all the pass rushing help we can get. Hopefully the man can beat his addictions and become the player the team and a bunch of us thought he would be when he came out of Nebraska a couple of years ago.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anyone boards a flight with Gregory that is headed for California, ask him whether he is going to visit Mike Tyson Ranch.