They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are no "luxury picks". LMAO. You either acquire talent, or not. It is always better to acquire talent and "hit" than to swing based on need and miss. Its great when need lines up with available talent, but that often isn't the case.
It doesn’t appear to helping our end results unless of course your playing Fantasy Football.

Stockpiling positions of strengths isn’t sound team building in Cap era.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could not have picked a better player than Lamb...did you want Chaisson or Terrell, instead?

Looking past players like Lamb is how you end up with a Bobby Carpenter or Taco Charlton.
That is a risk you run, sure enough.

So what's wrong with going quantity in a deep draft and trading out since some other team might do you a solid to get that player.

One thing for sure, the D is not going to get any better until it is addressed.

Last edited:

mathew1184

Reaction score
But you have to keep trying or you end up in a perpetual 8-8 mode. A top offense without a defense isn’t carrying us far enough.

Stockpiling on positions of strength isn’t sound team building in Cap era.

I guess I dont look at it that way, best available isnt always offense, or always defense. it could be any position. I prefer FA to just target need.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If they're one of the better drafting teams over the last decade, then why are they 92-83 with no divisional round playoff wins? In the last 11 seasons, only 4 have been better than 8-8. That look like a draft day demon to you?

Oh wait, please don't tell me it's all that squandered top shelf talent. The greatest perception issue on this board is that of the talent on this team. Many think they become better by just becoming Cowboys. Too many take skill position talent and team talent and it's not even close.
Because much of our online and new fans are playing Fantasy. They see our overall talent as great because of our offense. Much like our owner who is a follow the ball GM. He still believes the Triplets won those rings.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I really don't understand why Lamb was a mistake, lol.

If not Lamb the pick is probably Chaisson. We don't know where his career will go but he produced 1 sack. It's smart drafting to go with the BPA that can help the team. Certainly there's a need analysis factor too, but considering the Cowboys need for a #3 receiver it was justifiable. Its nothing like the Lions situation where they drafted 4 WRs in the first round out of 5 drafts.

I'm in agreement that we can't spend this years 1st rounder on a WR, but Lamb was a good choice. This year if WR is the BPA by far there's likely other teams interested in exploring a trade.

Haimerej

Reaction score
For some reason people overvalue wide receivers. Receivers are only as good as the guy getting them the ball. Which stat line is better-

74 catches, 935 yards, 5 TDs

54 catches, 848 yards, 11 TDs

Top is Ceedee this year. Bottom is Laurent Robinson's 1 year at Dallas. Not saying Lamb isn't good, just making a point that WRs are overrated and QB dependent.

cej757

Reaction score
that’s what they said when they drafted Lamb.

We didn't get a full season with the Dak and at least most of a season with Tyron and Lael. Would've made a huge difference if the Tackles were healthy for at least 12 games.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Most of us know the defense sucks and needs talent. No kidding.

The point is, you don't help that by taking defensive players that can't play just because they're on defense. That's a recipe for winding up with a terrible defense and offense in a few years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
Yeah but the Anae pick made up for it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is a risk you run, sure enough.

So what's wrong with going quantity in a deep draft and trading out since some other team might do you a solid to get that player.

On thing for sure, the D is not going to get any better until it is addressed.
Right

I could have hopped on with Lamb if we had traded Cooper or Gallup for draft capital and then used it on defense.

Instead we just stockpiled on a position of strength while letting our defense regress. How did that work out?

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!

What beef ? ... who/what quality DL guy was there at our 1st round pick last year- that was equivalent of the blue chip graded player that Lamb was coming into the draft ?
This sounds like those that typically want to reach for lesser graded players – just for the sake of need and position.

- And that’s when you are “more likely” to come out with a bust player, a far lesser impact player. WR’s are plentiful, but the chance to acquire a Blue Chipper isn’t as plentiful.
And impact big plays and presences are not excuses, they are facts, - and we can only imagine Lamb's rookie year if Dak had remained healthy.
Team really feels they had a chance to get an blue chip A-player; …. not a B-player.

- Drops ? Owens had his drops throughout his career, Rice went thru a notorious drop ball stretch his rookie year, the Rams duo of Holt and Bruce have had their drops,
ditto with - and here's one of those excuses for you- he's just a rookie in his 1st year.
And it's not just Lamb, .. Cooper and Gallup have their bouts with drop passes too. but they will make their share of big impact plays as well.

-Team really feels they had a chance to get an blue chip A-player; …. not a B-player.
And I’m not getting the TJ Watt like pass over vibe from Chaisson. And though it's not been leaked to public (yet?) I tend to wonder if Cowboys scouts may have
had Sooner LB Keith Murray on their draft board even over LSU's Chaisson who is said to be as raw- green as he is athletic.

And I would never even say Not to pick a DE that’s in according to our draft board. If we can have a chance to go NASCAR with our DEs the way NYG did with
Osi, Strahan and Tuck and Mathieua (sp) ..with a flood of quality DEs, i'm for sure down with that vs just the sake of reaching for a CB or DT position
that's not warranted that high or not even on their draft board at all.
:rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I can tell you what I'd be doing if I was the GM, I'd be fielding calls for not only Lamb or Gallup but every player on this team.

Does anyone here think the nucleus is here? Me neither, so everybody is on the trade table including the QB and I'd start over. The team is coming off, arguably, their worst season in history and with what that D did, it is the most embarrassing season.

If there ever was a time to blow it up and start all over again, this time couldn't be better. There are quite a few players that I'd like to see gone as I've had a really hard time liking many of these players.

I felt like Fisher did watching them celebrating while losing the game and it wasn't just that clown Smith, it was too many of them. It's not just this season that leaves that bitter taste in my mouth, it's this team.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Lamb had a more positive impact on this team than any defensive player available at the time would have, IMO. Maybe Patrick Queen would have helped bolster the LB position, but how many wins would that have gotten us?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I guess I dont look at it that way, best available isnt always offense, or always defense. it could be any position. I prefer FA to just target need.
They both have to target need. Draft and FA.

BPA is meant to mean per your needs. We wouldn’t have selected a QB or RB in Lambs slot. Just saying..

Slot or 3rd receiver isnt a need to warrant your first pick especially when you just signed your WR1 and have a solid #2. It was basically replacing Beasley who was undrafted.

An over usage of a 1st round pick unless your planning on letting go or trading Cooper or Gallup for draft capital which I could have gotten behind the Lamb pick.

Stockpiling strengths of position in Cap era with so many other weaknesses certainly doesn’t appear strong team building. What other teams are drafting as such?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb had a more positive impact on this team than any defensive player available at the time would have, IMO. Maybe Patrick Queen would have helped bolster the LB position, but how many wins would that have gotten us?
This season? None This season was over before it began.

Diggs looks pretty good for the future, needs to stop getting caught looking into the backfield, and we took him in the 2nd round.

Queen would have been a better, based on need, pick than Lamb but Booger's all gaga over Smith and Vander Esch.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Huh??? Lamb was a fantastic pick. Huge value and will pay off for years. On top of all of that he allows us to cut Cooper loose after next year which gains us $20M per year in cap space. It's hard to put into words just how good a pick it was. I'm still excited about it

quickccc

Reaction score
You never pass on really good players. Lamb is a really good player. And there is the definite possibility that Gallup is gone after next year. Lamb will be our #1 receiver moving forward.

Question of the Day: Should LSU's WR Jamarr Chase happens to drop down to our 10th overall pick in 1st round, … do you still take him with that 1st rd pick, despite fact that
we already have such rich pro bowl caliber WR talent with Cooper, Lamb, Gallup already here ?

If there is a QB, that is very high on our draft board that warrants a 1st round grade and high as the 10th overall, do we take that QB in according to our draft board ?.. despite that we already
have Dak Prescott as our franchise QB and apparently very committed to re-signing and keeping him?

InTheZone

Reaction score
If you need an explanation you're as lost as he is.
I try to help you out by providing reasons why you would say such and you still resort to no substance responses. If youre going to speak down make sure you dont sound like a troll.