They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

Verdict

Reaction score
It doesn’t appear to helping our end results unless of course your playing Fantasy Football.

Stockpiling positions of strengths isn’t sound team building in Cap era.
Yeah. It’s way GOODER to draft a loser that can’t play and cut him early on into his rookie deal.

Thomas82

Reaction score
You draft by need in that situation guess what? You are more likely to end up with a Taco Charlton.

The Cowboys had a top 10 grade on Lamb, if I recall. There was no decision to be made there. You take the Lamb if you have him graded that high and he's sitting there, needs aside. I suspect if they had Lamb rated the same as say Chaisson, they would have taken the DE.

To be exact, CeeDee was the 6th rated player on our board. I'm sorry, but if the 6th rated player falls in my lap at the 17th pick, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Besides, it's not like we expected CeeDee to still be on the board at 17 anyway.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I take a day off from this board and miss a thread like this? Epic.

As others have written, anyone who would have taken Chaisson over Lamb needs to have their head examined. Lamb is going to be a super star in this league, quite possibly a Hall of Fame player. Chaisson will be out of the league in 5 years.

Chaisson had 19 tackles this year and 1 sack. You really think that he was going to beat out DLaw, Aldon Smith, Gregory, or even Armstrong?

You always, always, take best player available in the draft. Despite the bad year, the Cowboys had a very good draft - their best since 2016 - and acquired pieces that will be fundamental to their success in the future.

If you’re looking for an excuse to roast Jerry, roast him for his poor choice of coaches. Other than the Parcells hire, it has been one clown after another. Coaching is this team’s downfall.

Carter

Reaction score
Dont agree with OP here. I get the point but last years draft was different because all targets they wanted were gone. The next best player they had on the board would have been Chaisson and Lamb was a consensous Top10 Pick. He just fell because of extremely deep WR and OT class.

Lamb will become a star in this league i have no doubt about that and Chaisson will be another Taco Charlton.

Im very sure that Lamb would have close or the same or better numbers as Jefferson with a healthy Dak and atleast 2 Starters on O-Line playing.

With Andy Dalton and a Walmart O-Line no one would produce.

We also didnt really need Chaisson as the DE Rotation was already okay and can easily be boosted in Free Agency.

Ofc we didnt need WR too but if you get a chance on a blue chip player at 17 you take the chance no matter the position.

If you only draft for need you get guys like Taco Charlton, Trysten Hill, Maurice Claiborne etc.

Thats why you see most of the same teams picking in the Top10.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How much different would the 2019 draft grade look if they factored Cooper as a 1st round pick?

How much different would every teams grade look if they could factor in players acquired in trade.....or how about free agency? The Cooper trade was a great move if you don't factor in the fact we didn't benefit at all from a rookie contract. While making a difference to Dak and his stats, the Cooper trade hasn't resulted in any semblance of success for the team. It was a costly move at a position that shouldn't require such cost.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah. It’s way GOODER to draft a loser that can’t play and cut him early on into his rookie deal.
No, but you have to continue attempting to address your weaknesses. Because if you hit it could put you over the top.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Id argue if we’d hit on Taco, Hill and Jaylon, Gregory wasn’t continually suspended , Van Esch and Lee not continuously injured , with our offense would have already played for championships.

That’s a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks and risks that didn’t meet their potential. And it could be argued that the risk were unnecessary gambles by our front office. If we’d missed like that on offense we’d be a dormant team.

These poor decisions, risk and bust on defense is why I’d also argue our drafts haven’t been overall successful.

Someone in our organization had a good eye for offensive talent but not defense. And someone allowed high picks to be used on risk players.

Whoever was responsible for those decisions should be fired.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Draft is not just for today it is the future of your team. Lamb was highly rated on the Cowboys draft board and when he unexpectedly was still there the Cowboys followed their board and took him. Taking Lamb was no mistake, what kills you in a draft is when your pick become bust and have nothing to show for the pick. Teams spend months putting together their draft boards, rating players to come up with the best prospects out there but if in the end you ignore your board then why bother.

basel90

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
Lamd is a great pick given his talent and upside for the future . At 17 , there were no better value difference maker defensive players left . The injuries and lack of depth in defense led to this seasons collapse , especially the underperforming stars : zeke , DLaw , Cooper and to some extent Dak when he played . ( that’s around 50% of the cap .
People forget Dak was around for all the losses against winning teams and the cowboys were losing when he was injured . Dallas needs a complete rebuild of the defense immediately and replacement of key offense components . This is why difficult decisions have to be made with overpaid stars ,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb is a talented WR but to say this kid is a future HOFer at this point is ridiculous. He is, most likely, a future star and good for him. I am more interested in what's good for the team and whether that's taking a shot at Chaisson, and I've never heard anything from the Cowboys if he was even considered, or even taking Diggs at that 17 spot was a possibility.

The Cowboys have a star in Cooper, so they add a future star to replace him or Gallup, so tell me how this helps the team. Lamb had a very good year, the team did not. If you want DC WR's on your fantasy team, good news for you but does this help the team and fix the problems?

Until you address the problem, it cannot be fixed. Did adding Lamb make this a better team? Or is this just another marquis player on the team with the Dance Band on the Titanic?

As to the future effect of taking Lamb, that remains to be seen. And I admit to being all about immediate help on the first 2 days of the draft and I also do not think Chaisson was that but I do not know if that was the pick if Lamb was gone. I also haven't heard where they had Jefferson on their board.

BTW, this might be just an appetizer if these mocks that have the Cowboys taking Pitts become fact.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamd is a great pick given his talent and upside for the future . At 17 , there were no better value difference maker defensive players left . The injuries and lack of depth in defense led to this seasons collapse , especially the underperforming stars : zeke , DLaw , Cooper and to some extent Dak when he played . ( that’s around 50% of the cap .
People forget Dak was around for all the losses against winning teams and the cowboys were losing when he was injured . Dallas needs a complete rebuild of the defense immediately and replacement of key offense components . This is why difficult decisions have to be made with overpaid stars ,
And you think the Cowboys are going to make those decisions? Or just create more overpaid stars?

basel90

Reaction score
And you think the Cowboys are going to make those decisions? Or just create more overpaid stars?
I agree , the FO has not made the smart decisions . There is no forward thinking . It is mostly covering up or justifying mistakes and costly contracts ( zeke , jaylon , Cooper etc )

blueblood70

Reaction score
I take a day off from this board and miss a thread like this? Epic.

As others have written, anyone who would have taken Chaisson over Lamb needs to have their head examined. Lamb is going to be a super star in this league, quite possibly a Hall of Fame player. Chaisson will be out of the league in 5 years.

Chaisson had 19 tackles this year and 1 sack. You really think that he was going to beat out DLaw, Aldon Smith, Gregory, or even Armstrong?

You always, always, take best player available in the draft. Despite the bad year, the Cowboys had a very good draft - their best since 2016 - and acquired pieces that will be fundamental to their success in the future.

If you’re looking for an excuse to roast Jerry, roast him for his poor choice of coaches. Other than the Parcells hire, it has been one clown after another. Coaching is this team’s downfall.
exactly well hold off on the HOF talk lol but even if we dont take chaisson , no one here can tell us what player , a defensive player we could have taken over lamb that would have changed our 2020 fate .... its because no ONE player could have filled all the holes the failed FA defenders, injuries, and bad scheme fit left...

we will go strong on defense rounds 1-3 this i know and with better FA crop and a top 3 offense, we will bounce back and all this crazy talk can settle down..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft is not just for today it is the future of your team. Lamb was highly rated on the Cowboys draft board and when he unexpectedly was still there the Cowboys followed their board and took him. Taking Lamb was no mistake, what kills you in a draft is when your pick become bust and have nothing to show for the pick. Teams spend months putting together their draft boards, rating players to come up with the best prospects out there but if in the end you ignore your board then why bother.
Take the immediacy out of it and that changes this completely. I do not think adding Lamb helped this team in 2020 but for 2022 forward, could be depending on how they play the hand.

I like the benefit of Lamb giving them some options with Cooper and Gallup and how much they have loaded to the O side but I have learned not to project what I think is best forward. I do not think like Booger, my priorities for the team are different.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Take the immediacy out of it and that changes this completely. I do not think adding Lamb helped this team in 2020 but for 2022 forward, could be depending on how they play the hand.

I like the benefit of Lamb giving them some options with Cooper and Gallup and how much they have loaded to the O side but I have learned not to project what I think is best forward. I do not think like Booger, my priorities for the team are different.

I think Lamb showed his value to as a player and did help this team. There was no way of knowing on draft day that the entire OL outside of Williams would be injured and that alone hurt this team very much, you can't do much of anything consistently without the big guys up front and we were down to 3rd string in some cases. . As I said you draft the best players and you use FA to fill holes but what has killed us in the past is reaching for players using high picks on guys who should not have been selected just because of the position they play. I do think need plays a part but if the highest player on my board is still there when we pick then they are stupid for not taking the talent or at worse trade out of the spot but not just grab a player because you think he fills a need.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exactly well hold off on the HOF talk lol but even if we dont take chaisson , no one here can tell us what player , a defensive player we could have taken over lamb that would have changed our 2020 fate .... its because no ONE player could have filled all the holes the failed FA defenders, injuries, and bad scheme fit left...

we will go strong on defense rounds 1-3 this i know and with better FA crop and a top 3 offense, we will bounce back and all this crazy talk can settle down..
You might want to start checking the mocks about that D guy in the 1st round.

It is possible that the exact same situation arises in this draft, only this time with a TE. Blue chip CB and LB gone and the BPA on their board is Pitts. Another target and still just one ball.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You might want to start checking the mocks about that D guy in the 1st round.

It is possible that the exact same situation arises in this draft, only this time with a TE. Blue chip CB and LB gone and the BPA on their board is Pitts. Another target and still just one ball.

Kyle Pitts will be highly rated. I fully Expect Surtain and Farley to be on the board at 10. Area I want to see upgraded in DT however the talent for DT is not there in the 1st and likely will be later in the draft still quality picks just not 1st rd grades.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
With all due respect, you should strip yourself of posting privileges. Its one thing to say this before the season starts but now you have the benefit of a season of actual facts. Can you name a defender who was taken in that range that did much of anything? Drafting for need over talent is what gets you Taco. At the very least, CD is an asset that has trade value whereas a bust has none. If there had been an equal defender available, sure. But there wasn't. Not even close. Those are just the facts.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Id argue if we’d hit on Taco, Hill and Jaylon, Gregory wasn’t continually suspended , Van Esch and Lee not continuously injured , with our offense would have already played for championships.

That’s a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks and risks that didn’t meet their potential. And it could be argued that the risk were unnecessary gambles by our front office. If we’d missed like that on offense we’d be a dormant team.

These poor decisions, risk and bust on defense is why I’d also argue our drafts haven’t been overall successful.

Bravo. Sometimes someone just summarizes it so nicely its beautiful.