They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Lamb showed his value to as a player and did help this team. There was no way of knowing on draft day that the entire OL outside of Williams would be injured and that alone hurt this team very much, you can't do much of anything consistently without the big guys up front and we were down to 3rd string in some cases. . As I said you draft the best players and you use FA to fill holes but what has killed us in the past is reaching for players using high picks on guys who should not have been selected just because of the position they play. I do think need plays a part but if the highest player on my board is still there when we pick then they are stupid for not taking the talent or at worse trade out of the spot but not just grab a player because you think he fills a need.

Dallas was 2nd in the league in passing yards in 2019, and 6th in rushing yards. How much offense do you need? The Bucs were 3rd overall in the league and didn't even make the playoffs. Adding Lamb was "gilding the lily", the offense was plenty good enough. They did draft several defensive players, but it's not like the 2019 defense was okay, it was poor already last year, especially in the run defense.

Of course that's just me, I would strive for close to a balanced team, offense and defense both at least pretty good, I don't see having a top-5 offense and a bottom-5 defense is going to win you anything...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kyle Pitts will be highly rated. I fully Expect Surtain and Farley to be on the board at 10. Area I want to see upgraded in DT however the talent for DT is not there in the 1st and likely will be later in the draft still quality picks just not 1st rd grades.
I think Surtain will be gone, PHL needs DB's as bad as the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas was 2nd in the league in passing yards in 2019, and 6th in rushing yards. How much offense do you need? The Bucs were 3rd overall in the league and didn't even make the playoffs. Adding Lamb was "gilding the lily", the offense was plenty good enough. They did draft several defensive players, but it's not like the 2019 defense was okay, it was poor already last year, especially in the run defense.

Of course that's just me, I would strive for close to a balanced team, offense and defense both at least pretty good, I don't see having a top-5 offense and a bottom-5 defense is going to win you anything...

Dallas used their draft board, they saw a guy they did not expect to still be there at 17 frankly most teams draft board had Lamb ranked very high. Why would they just blow off their draft board? may as well just draft from the seat of their pants which is how we got Taco. Draft is about getting top talent and Lamb brought that is spades. Yes we need help on defense and, especially on the DL but you don't just take DL in the 1st unless the talent is there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Surtain will be gone, PHL needs DB's as bad as the Cowboys.

Philly has a lot of needs and WR is one of them, last year they got excited about Lamb being their only to see him go to Dallas. Could Philly take a CB? sure but depending on who is still on the board this looks to be a pretty strong WR class.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
With all due respect, you should strip yourself of posting privileges. Its one thing to say this before the season starts but now you have the benefit of a season of actual facts. Can you name a defender who was taken in that range that did much of anything? Drafting for need over talent is what gets you Taco. At the very least, CD is an asset that has trade value whereas a bust has none. If there had been an equal defender available, sure. But there wasn't. Not even close. Those are just the facts.

Patrick Queen was drafted no. 28. Dallas could have had him. His stats: 102 TKL, 8 TFL, 3 sacks, 10 QB Hits, INT, 2 PD, 2 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD. Listed as one of the top candidates for defensive ROY.

Think he'd not been better than Lee, for example? According to some here Smith is the worst starting linebacker in the league, surely Queen could be better than that.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
For this year, Chaisson would not have helped as much as Lamb did. And long-term the notion that Lamb can be considered a luxury pick is moot because the Cowboys have the ability to move on from Cooper or Gallup.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
I agree......but why did he pick lamb? it meant jersey sales and more money directly to Jerry's pockets....

I want 11 defensive players picked this year. I don't care if we don't pick one offensive player.....given this FO defensive draft performance, the one way to solve it is to throw numbers at it and increase the odds of them hitting on a couple of good ones....
You guys sound ridiculous man no one draft is going to fix our defense. We have neglected first round defensive talent for too long and it's caught up to us. That being said the ones we have taken have either regressed so much or simply get injured far too often. The implosion of our LB core mixed with the coaching philosophy change was a recipe for disaster for this franchise more than likely has set us back 4 years.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Why is it that so many teams fail with their 1st round pick? Mainly because they draft for need and reach for it. Best case in point is look at the Rams and Eagles who reached for 2 QBs and based on performance, both will be looking again soon although Eagles may have something is Hurd. Sure you need to draft for need but the better teams don't do it in the 1st or 2nd rounds. As much as I don't like the Packers, them drafting Love last year was smart just as it was when they drafted Rogers when they had Farve. But sure fans think that they know more but I ask after we chose Lamb who in the next 15 picks would have been a better choice. Jefferson another WR might have been.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
DeeDee Lamb was not only a good pick for us but one that Philly would surely have taken if we didn't. That's worth plenty, in and of itself.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I am more interested in what's good for the team and whether that's taking a shot at Chaisson, and I've never heard anything from the Cowboys if he was even considered, or even taking Diggs at that 17 spot was a possibility.

Dallas said right after the draft that if Lamb hadn’t have fallen, Chaisson would’ve been the pick with the way things fell. It was either Jerry or Stephen that said it while answering media questions.

And no, Chaisson wouldn’t have helped much and likely would’ve been stuck behind Smith, Gregory and Armstrong.

Carson

Reaction score
Lamb is / was never a mistake.

The mistake was going into the season with little to no new capital on defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dallas used their draft board, they saw a guy they did not expect to still be there at 17 frankly most teams draft board had Lamb ranked very high. Why would they just blow off their draft board? may as well just draft from the seat of their pants which is how we got Taco. Draft is about getting top talent and Lamb brought that is spades. Yes we need help on defense and, especially on the DL but you don't just take DL in the 1st unless the talent is there.

Agree to that, per Walter Football for example Barmore from Alabama is their no. 1 ranked DT, but he is weak on run defense, and is the only one they say could go in the first round, all others are round 2 or less. But 6 of them are rounds 2-3, meaning they are pretty good at least.

Trading down imho is the way to go in this draft, unless somebody like Parsons somehow drops way down (not likely). Would rather have 3 really good players than one great prospect and a bunch of "projects"....

Jipper

Reaction score
To be exact, CeeDee was the 6th rated player on our board. I'm sorry, but if the 6th rated player falls in my lap at the 17th pick, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Besides, it's not like we expected CeeDee to still be on the board at 17 anyway.

yup, exactly right....people saying lamb was a bad pick is ridiculous....the value there was incredible and you don’t pass up that type of value.

our issue is we did a crappy job in free agency filling holes and just had too many needs at the end of the day

After a defensive focused draft this year and a hopeful solid free agency, this team is going to look much better and we will still have one of the top receiving groups in the nfl

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Patrick Queen was drafted no. 28. Dallas could have had him. His stats: 102 TKL, 8 TFL, 3 sacks, 10 QB Hits, INT, 2 PD, 2 FF, 2 FR, 1 TD. Listed as one of the top candidates for defensive ROY.

Think he'd not been better than Lee, for example? According to some here Smith is the worst starting linebacker in the league, surely Queen could be better than that.

There are guys drafted later in the draft who produced just as well, but when draft day hit you follow the board as you said Queen is a 28th pick, not as highly rated as some others. How a player produces be it a 1st rd pick or a 4th rd pick no one knows for sure until they hit the field but the entire process of putting a draft board together is to grade out the talent and use that information to make a selection. Drafting a bust is the killer not drafting real talent who can produce

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lamb is / was never a mistake.

The mistake was going into the season with little to no new capital on defense.

So how do you get "capital" on defense when you use your no. 17 pick on offense and don't have another pick until 51?

Just asking...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agree to that, per Walter Football for example Barmore from Alabama is their no. 1 ranked DT, but he is weak on run defense, and is the only one they say could go in the first round, all others are round 2 or less. But 6 of them are rounds 2-3, meaning they are pretty good at least.

Trading down imho is the way to go in this draft, unless somebody like Parsons somehow drops way down (not likely). Would rather have 3 really good players than one great prospect and a bunch of "projects"....

and they may drop from that spot and be able to pick up additional picks. Hard to say since you need a partner to pull off the deal. Now if no deal happens it gets back to the same thing of using the board you put together. In the end I think the pick will be a CB Surtain or Farley

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There are guys drafted later in the draft who produced just as well, but when draft day hit you follow the board as you said Queen is a 28th pick, not as highly rated as some others. How a player produces be it a 1st rd pick or a 4th rd pick no one knows for sure until they hit the field but the entire process of putting a draft board together is to grade out the talent and use that information to make a selection. Drafting a bust is the killer not drafting real talent who can produce

Like I said, if the Dallas defense was okay in 2019 sure take the higher rated player on offense.

But it wasn't, the interior run defense has been ripped for the last several years, Awuzie and Woods hardly set the league on fire with their play. Just ask the Lions, they took a wide receiver 3 years in a row, all highly rated, and didn't even make the playoffs with those players.

Can't just keep piling on offense and hope like heck you can eventually out-score everybody else every game. You see what happened this year, lose Dak and Smith and Collins and the defense can't stop anybody.

I get your take, just don't agree. It's like buying a Ferrari, then a Lambo, then a McLaren when you live 10 miles out in the country on a dirt road where it rains a lot. At some point you need to buy a 4wd vehicle just so you can get to town and buy groceries...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
and they may drop from that spot and be able to pick up additional picks. Hard to say since you need a partner to pull off the deal. Now if no deal happens it gets back to the same thing of using the board you put together. In the end I think the pick will be a CB Surtain or Farley

Yep, flexibility is the key, like you said, gotta have a partner, and there's no way of telling what any draft will do, no way the Cowboys get Collins from LSU normally, but a police investigation pops up and he falls to your spot. Can't count on those of course but you never know.

Can go the other way of course, Taco a good example, highly rated but never worked out...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Like I said, if the Dallas defense was okay in 2019 sure take the higher rated player on offense.

But it wasn't, the interior run defense has been ripped for the last several years, Awuzie and Woods hardly set the league on fire with their play. Just ask the Lions, they took a wide receiver 3 years in a row, all highly rated, and didn't even make the playoffs with those players.

Can't just keep piling on offense and hope like heck you can eventually out-score everybody else every game. You see what happened this year, lose Dak and Smith and Collins and the defense can't stop anybody.

I get your take, just don't agree. It's like buying a Ferrari, then a Lambo, then a McLaren when you live 10 miles out in the country on a dirt road where it rains a lot. At some point you need to buy a 4wd vehicle just so you can get to town and buy groceries...

Dallas tried to address in FA, McCoy was injured before the start of the season, Poe did not pan out and Dallas did draft Gallimore who I think has shown signs of being a good player at DT. We clearly need another DT. I don't buy into reaching for players in the draft and use FA to fill holes. When you use the draft to strictly fill holes that is how you end up reaching for players who do not pan out and that is what kills team, using a big investment on a player who goes bust.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Yes Queen had a pretty good year but he also struggled. He wasn't worthy of 17 so you would have had to trade back and still get him plus make a good pick with the trade compensation. So, sure if you manage to land two good picks that could help on defense i could get on board that would be on par with Lamb. Problem with Queen is that we may have HOFers on the roster at LB currently but they aren't getting on the field until the FO is willing to take out the Smith trash. Sort of like forcing Witten to sit so we could get the more capable players on the field.