They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If he was legit top 10, why was he available at 17? Why did 10-16 pass on him?

Teams pass on better players in every draft to get what they need to address their needs.

The Cowboys already have the #1 O and #2 Pass O and they need another WR? I would have been OK with them taking Diggs at 17, that was a need.
:laugh: Wow.

Batman1980

Reaction score
For the reasons they did at the time? Yes, Irvin had created a PR nightmare for the team and what about those 20 other teams that passed on Moss?

Blue chip linemen are always worth more than skill players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think Jefferson was a better draft pick than Lamb, without the hindsight of this season, then you're either a liar or dumb.
Did you watch them all play? I did, I spend a lot more time on college ball and watched just about every game all 4 of these WR's played because I am primarily SEC and Big 12.

If a team was looking for a field stretcher, Jefferson was the better pick with Lamb being better as a chain mover and his claim to fame was breaking tackles. However, those tackles were in the Big 12. Did you see Lamb breaking a lot of tackles this year?

Jefferson played in the tighter coverage SEC and he played on a team with a high octane offense so they were not as dependent on him and he went to the best match team, the Vikings with Cook.

I wouldn't say any of these 4 is better in the long run until they're had a few more years but Jefferson was drafted to replace their #1WR in Diggs and he pulled better coverage than Lamb did this season with Cooper on the team.

Batman1980

Reaction score
This thread is a major fail. My God this take is bad.

Lamb didn't help us win games. We probably win more than 6 games this year even without our franchise quarterback if they had spent that pick on OL, DL or another defensive spot. Diggs is good but the rest of the secondary needs help and our run defense can't stop anybody. Especially when LVE is out.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who would you have taken who could have been as equal of an impact
Chaisson sure hasn’t been so far
Lamb was the right move
Passing a much more talented player to fill a need is why much of the top 10 teams picking each year remain the same for years

Coach is right. At some point, you have to say we have a position covered and if Dallas had any position covered last offseason , it was WR. There were really good LBs and OLmen on the board too. We should have traded back. Last year was the deepest class of wrs in a generation. We didn't need to spend the 17th pick on one with so many other gaping holes on the team. I like CD, but we certainly did not need him.

It is very likely that a WR will be the top prospect on our board at #10 in the 2021 draft. You can't always follow your board.

Last edited:

Batman1980

Reaction score
Coach is right. At some point, you have to say we have a position covered and if Dallas had any position covered last offseason , it was WR. There were really good LBs and OLmen on the board too. We should have traded back. Last year was the deepest class of wrs in a generation. We didn't need to spent the 17th pick on one with so many other gaping holes on the team. I like CD, but we certainly did not need him.

Lamb was taken to sell jerseys and give Dak another weapon so our offense would increase Jerry's revenue. Not a good pick at all.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Did you watch them all play? I did, I spend a lot more time on college ball and watched just about every game all 4 of these WR's played because I am primarily SEC and Big 12.

If a team was looking for a field stretcher, Jefferson was the better pick with Lamb being better as a chain mover and his claim to fame was breaking tackles. However, those tackles were in the Big 12. Did you see Lamb breaking a lot of tackles this year?

Jefferson played in the tighter coverage SEC and he played on a team with a high octane offense so they were not as dependent on him and he went to the best match team, the Vikings with Cook.

I wouldn't say any of these 4 is better in the long run until they're had a few more years but Jefferson was drafted to replace their #1WR in Diggs and he pulled better coverage than Lamb did this season with Cooper on the team.
The long run or what they did in 2020 is irrelevant to my point.

Lamb was hands down the better prospect at the time of the draft - anybody saying otherwise is making stuff up.

conner01

Reaction score
Coach is right. At some point, you have to say we have a position covered and if Dallas had any position covered last offseason , it was WR. There were really good LBs and OLmen on the board too. We should have traded back. Last year was the deepest class of wrs in a generation. We didn't need to spent the 17th pick on one with so many other gaping holes on the team. I like CD, but we certainly did not need him.
We didn’t have a slot receiver so it’s not like he set and watched all year
You need 3 WR who can compliment each other
And he allows us to move on from Cooper in a couple years

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
They could get Cooper's replacement at any time, WR is the deepest position in the draft.

I'll take Lamb+which ever defensive player we take in 2021 over Chassion+what ever WR we could take this year (even if it's 2nd round)

To be honest, give me Kyler Pitts if he's there

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
what offensive position of need to we have? TE? WR? RB? OL? QB? perhaps we want a LT to replace Smith...but is that really a big need?

what offensive player would ahve a chance of making this team next year?

Te Pitts. Alabama top two WRs. Ohio State RB.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
If you think Jefferson was a better draft pick than Lamb, without the hindsight of this season, then you're either a liar or dumb.
Every team in the NFL had injuries. Your precious “Stats” wasn’t the only player to go down.
You’ll get through this, Son.
Lots of Kleenex but you’ll pull through.
Meanwhile Jefferson is up for ROY and setting records. No one says CD is bad. But as of right now regardless of your tears, Jefferson is the better WR by far.
It’s just reality. Hang in there, boy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I happen to subscribe to Parcells theory of the draft, does not matter where a player is picked. Only that you get the players you need.

They could have traded down or even out of the 1st and taken Diggs and more D players.

After the draft, I ask myself one question. Did they address the problems well enough? The answer was a resounding no which is why I didn't think they'd do any better than 2019, they didn't begin to fix the D and the FA haul was a freaking joke.

CL, this team let the two best players on the D walk and had the #1 O, they NEED a WR?

Verdict

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
Using this line of thinking, you would pass on the next Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady and draft Taco Charleton. I am sorry, but this line of thinking, is irrational, and I am trying my best to be very kind when I use the word irrational.

We picked for need on Taco and now we don't have a player at any position to show for that pick, and still have a hole on the DL. I will agree with you that you build a team starting in the trenches, but the player has to BE THERE in order to draft him. Otherwise you draft Taco or Rob Pettetti in the first round.

This is such a tired narrative. WE HAVE INVESTED HEAVILY ON DEFENSE. WE HAVE JUST CHOSEN POORLY.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every team in the NFL had injuries. Your precious “Stats” wasn’t the only player to go down.
You’ll get through this, Son.
Lots of Kleenex but you’ll pull through.
Meanwhile Jefferson is up for ROY and setting records. No one says CD is bad. But as of right now regardless of your tears, Jefferson is the better WR by far.
It’s just reality. Hang in there, boy.
Rough crowd!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!

The Lamb pick was the right one. What was wrong and continues to be wrong is not using free agency to beef up the defense. McCoy and Poe were wrong. Dallas signed them because they were cheap. They were cheap because Poe was done and McCoy had a significant injury risk.

The draft is supplemental because you can't determine what players are going to be available to you when you pick. You can't go into it saying I need a DT and then take a DT with your first pick no matter what. It's about talent acquisition so you need to draft the best talent available to have the best opportunity to have a successful draft.

If the Cowboys had used free agency to get DT Jason Hargrave and DE Emmanuel Ogbah instead of Poe and Aldon Smith, would anyone be complaining about the Lamb pick? If we had added James Bradberry at CB, would anyone be complaining about the Lamb pick?

As long as the Joneses continue to ignore FA, whatever we do in the draft is not going to be enough to fill this team's needs and picks like Lamb are going to look like luxuries.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn’t have a slot receiver so it’s not like he set and watched all year
You need 3 WR who can compliment each other
And he allows us to move on from Cooper in a couple years

Go look at the last draft. We could have drafted a slot wr in round 3. ....... or better yet, found a cheap veteran free agent.

CD was not a pick that moved the team forward or addressed a real need. Nobody fills the slot with a round 1 pick. That round is reserved for guys who can be #1 WRS on teams that don't already have one.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I happen to subscribe to Parcells theory of the draft, does not matter where a player is picked. Only that you get the players you need.

They could have traded down or even out of the 1st and taken Diggs and more D players.

After the draft, I ask myself one question. Did they address the problems well enough? The answer was a resounding no which is why I didn't think they'd do any better than 2019, they didn't begin to fix the D and the FA haul was a freaking joke.

CL, this team let the two best players on the D walk and had the #1 O, they NEED a WR?

JERRY needed a WR because revenue matters more to him than actual success on the football field. Hopefully he saw how bad our DBs are besides Wilson and Diggs and also how terrible our run defense is. Fire Nolan and bring in a real DC who will build a defense that actually gets the job done.