"They want to play me all over like Micah Parsons" Iowa State EDGE Will McDonald IV on Dallas Cowboys 30 visit l

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Interesting.

If we don't land him, I think Mike Morris would be a great rotational prospect in the later rounds...Not just a pass rusher; he can also play the run.

Majic

Reaction score
I think he will go just before we pick, hope I'm wrong

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Depth maybe.
Remember this is going to be a different, offensive scheme, they may use more multiple receiver sets than in the past. I think they also want to protect themselves from both Gallup/Tolbert not producing or we are 1 injury away from last yr again

J-man

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like McDonald, and don't don't crucify me when I say I don't think he's a 1st rd graded player. To me, he'd be a reach at 26. His weight is a concern, will he have the power and strength he needs to be effective and hold up in this game? I just don't know if I see him coming into the NFL and being a game changing, dynamic pass rushing DE that offenses must account for every play. To me, that's what a 1st rd graded DE does. He's probably the 6th or 7th best DE in this class, is that really worthy of a first rd grade? IDK, maybe in this class it is but I hope we can do better at 26.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Not trying to be negative but why would we need McDonald ( who's a Parsons clon ) when we already have Parsons AND Sam Williams?

BTW....If this kid is this good (Parsons-like potential ), there's no way in hell he makes to 26. Can you imagine teams wanting to get their hands on a player like Parsons?

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like McDonald, and don't don't crucify me when I say I don't think he's a 1st rd graded player. To me, he'd be a reach at 26. His weight is a concern, will he have the power and strength he needs to be effective and hold up in this game? I just don't know if I see him coming into the NFL and being a game changing, dynamic pass rushing DE that offenses must account for every play. To me, that's what a 1st rd graded DE does. He's probably the 6th or 7th best DE in this class, is that really worthy of a first rd grade? IDK, maybe in this class it is but I hope we can do better at 26.
Valid concern for most guys that size
but he’s got 34+ inch arms and has been playing end in 3-3-5 defense so he’s tough as heck and stronger than you’d expect. I think he’ll be good against the run in a year or so as he hulks up.

As a pass rusher, he’s arguably the best speed rusher in the class. His combo of burst / bend is about as good as it gets.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Remember this is going to be a different, offensive scheme, they may use more multiple receiver sets than in the past. I think they also want to protect themselves from both Gallup/Tolbert not producing or we are 1 injury away from last yr again
Sure, but not in the first round. 3rd maybe.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out why his production dropped last season and it turned out Iowa St. had him playing on a three man front. And his weight at the combine was 239#
This is what worries me about McDonald. He looks skinny! Can he hold up against the run? Will offences attack his size and run over him. If we had the larger personal for a 3/4 defence then I could see him used as an outside linebacker. Worried about his size!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If he’s still there at 26… I’d be very happy with McDonald.

If they would have used him correctly in college, no telling how many sacks the guy would’ve had.

They almost never just let the guy rush the passer. He was playing head up on the tackle… or even 4i. It’s amazing he held up at all and illustrates just how tough he is.

He’d be a great pick.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Not trying to be negative but why would we need McDonald ( who's a Parsons clon ) when we already have Parsons AND Sam Williams?

BTW....If this kid is this good (Parsons-like potential ), there's no way in hell he makes to 26. Can you imagine teams wanting to get their hands on a player like Parsons?
IMO, in coming seasons Williams will be the strong side DE, and McDonald would the the weak side DE. Parsons will move around and rotate in when they want to use him.

Lawrence will be moving on soon, and Williams is plenty strong enough to play that spot. McDonald is on a whole different level than Armstrong or anyone else that would play on the weak side.

In the meantime, McDonald would work into the rotation and you’d be able to mix and match with DLaw, McD, Williams, Micah, Armstrong and Fowler.

McD would be one hell of a pick.

And yeah… he might be gone before 26.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Don't think he is like Parsons, more of a Randy Gregory without the off the field concerns.