Things That Got Ruined For You

nobody

Reaction score
Mint
Any type of mint. I was probably 13 and for whatever reason, being the youngest of the group of 13-20 year olds. I got stuck with a spearmint schnapps once the beer was gone. Needless to say, I drank too much and puked spearmint. Now, I won't touch anything mint. Even my toothpaste is cinnamon and my mouthwash is citrus. Bleep anything mint!!!
KEGL The Eagle Radio Station
It was before I moved to the NYC area back in 2005, it might have been late 90s. I can't recall when it happen, but every 3rd song was a Rush song. I couldn't take it anymore and will never listen to KEGL again. Bleep KEGL
The band Rush
It was before I moved to the NYC area back in 2005, it might have been late 90s. I can't recall when it happen, but every 3rd song was a Rush song. I can't listen to them anymore and will never listen to the again. Bleep Rush​

Remember when KEGL did the format change ( don't remember when) ? Without warning for like 3 days to a week, all they played was The Eagles "Hotel California" nonstop before the announced change.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Top of the List is FM Rock radio --- Before it got be a $Billion dollar business sometime in the mid-late 70's, FM Rock radio was totally cool. They did not play ANY "commercial" crap. They play "Train Kept A Rollin'" by Aerosmith, but left "Walk This Way" to the AM Hit stations. And, at the time, there was NO Drive Time show, with DJ's doing "bits" to get the workers to their jobs.... Just good and cool and groovy music 24/7. The stars of the show were NOT DJ "Personalities" but the Music, was Always the Star of the show.

Now most Rock stations are part of a Conglomerate that owns multiple stations in many markets. Their overhead is so high, that Highly Paid Consultants dictate to the DJs at all these stations what specific songs to play.

By the 80's it was mostly Corporate Rock Radio. The same 200 songs played over and over and over and over again, ad nauseam, regardless of the genre.

Second in line is what MTV eventually morphed into. 80's music was fun and so was MTV. Then MTV became Reality shows. :confused:

Third, is the rise of Ticketmaster and the rise of extra fees for them and the arena operators. My ZZ Top ticket for the cheap seats at the Irving Toyota Center a couple of years ago, was still a reasonable $35. But.... the added service fees and charges, made that back row ticket $53.

Back in the days before Rainbow Ticketmaster, I got my tickets from Preston Ticket Agency. They would send me my Mail Order tickets back to me by mail... NO Service Charges whatsoever!! :)

SlammedZero

Reaction score
DINTY MOORE Beef Stew

When I was young, this stuff was good as gold for cheap camp food.

Now it's overpriced and the so-called meat is so bad that
I'm sure it's processed in a dog food factory.

:(

Funny you bring this up!! When I was living the bachelor pad life we had a bunch of these. I whipped one up one day, and who knows maybe it was passed it's expiration, but I got so damn sick off that thing. It took me months to not want to boot even thinking about the name. I have literally not touched one since and this was like 2002-ish.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Funny you bring this up!! When I was living the bachelor pad life we had a bunch of these. I whipped one up one day, and who knows maybe it was passed it's expiration, but I got so damn sick off that thing. It took me months to not want to boot even thinking about the name. I have literally not touched one since and this was like 2002-ish.
I don't think I've had Dinty Moore since I was 19. Once I was out of my mother's house, I realized there's better food. :laugh:

Chrispierce

Reaction score
My left eye....I can’t pass test for drivers renewal next time. Even had me use the old folks viewer test...I couldn’t see a darn thing and cheated to get it.....it’s glasses time! Hey,I look great as a nerd,this is going to be fun...and THIS time it’s legal. Could pull off for a library geek to just another techy looking guy,even though I haven’t the faintest clue how to fix anything tech or even able to do math. “Behold the magically wonders,as a uneducated common man of the street,will now be transformed into a pillar of astute knowledge.. from the college of pottage!!”

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Another thing that has gotten ruined for me the last few years are musicians doing multiple farewell tours.... Let's see here, Ozzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Kiss, Elton John, etc.... It's getting crazy. I spent great money on most of their farewell tours only to have another spring up a year or two later.

Now learning Slayer will do another farewell tour with Phil Anselmo & the Illegals (Pantera setlist only), Ministry, and Primus.... Don't get me wrong, I like Primus, but how does that fanbase fit with the others?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Another thing that has gotten ruined for me the last few years are musicians doing multiple farewell tours.... Let's see here, Ozzy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who, Kiss, Elton John, etc.... It's getting crazy. I spent great money on most of their farewell tours only to have another spring up a year or two later.

Now learning Slayer will do another farewell tour with Phil Anselmo & the Illegals (Pantera setlist only), Ministry, and Primus.... Don't get me wrong, I like Primus, but how does that fanbase fit with the others?
It’s a gimmick to sell more tickets to make more $$$

shabazz

Reaction score
“ Baby It’s Cold Outside”. song

The latest PC version of this beloved Christmas song, may be the worst but funniest remake of a classic song.
In the original version the oppressor, ( the guy) does everything he’s can to get the victim,(Woman), stay with him for a romantic night. In this new Woke version, he’s saying everything he can think of to get this lady the hell out da house.

The best line is , “ your body, your choice”.

Kelly Clarkson and John Legends new “masterpiece” is a lump of crap

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
“ Baby It’s Cold Outside”. song

The latest PC version of this beloved Christmas song, may be the worst but funniest remake of a classic song.
In the original version the oppressor, ( the guy) does everything he’s can to get the victim,(Woman), stay with him for a romantic night. In this new Woke version, he’s saying everything he can think of to get this lady the hell out da house.

The best line is , “ your body, your choice”.

Kelly Clarkson and John Legends new “masterpiece” is a lump of crap
You've got to be kidding! The world is turning into a very stupid place to live.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when KEGL did the format change ( don't remember when) ? Without warning for like 3 days to a week, all they played was The Eagles "Hotel California" nonstop before the announced change.
In the biz, that's called "stunting" to get market chatter and coverage by the other media. It was created by two radio guys, Gordon McClendon and Todd Storz, two innovators of Top 40 radio. WKRP in Cincinnati took some of their ideas from them. They were really good ar free publicity.

I used it in a couple of markets. One time in Baton Rouge, I was introducing a new morning team and for a week had the girl dress in black mourning attire with a black veil, ride in a black stretch limo and walk into restaurants at lunch and bars at happy hour handing out cash and buying drinks and lunch for people, never said a word and walked out. Not even my own staff knew it was us and I made sure the limo made it close enough to the TV stations to get noticed and followed and it worked like a charm. The downside was she was a hell of a lot better at dressing like a widow than doing mornings and almost led to my demise at the station.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Top of the List is FM Rock radio --- Before it got be a $Billion dollar business sometime in the mid-late 70's, FM Rock radio was totally cool. They did not play ANY "commercial" crap. They play "Train Kept A Rollin'" by Aerosmith, but left "Walk This Way" to the AM Hit stations. And, at the time, there was NO Drive Time show, with DJ's doing "bits" to get the workers to their jobs.... Just good and cool and groovy music 24/7. The stars of the show were NOT DJ "Personalities" but the Music, was Always the Star of the show.

Now most Rock stations are part of a Conglomerate that owns multiple stations in many markets. Their overhead is so high, that Highly Paid Consultants dictate to the DJs at all these stations what specific songs to play.

By the 80's it was mostly Corporate Rock Radio. The same 200 songs played over and over and over and over again, ad nauseam, regardless of the genre.

Second in line is what MTV eventually morphed into. 80's music was fun and so was MTV. Then MTV became Reality shows. :confused:

Third, is the rise of Ticketmaster and the rise of extra fees for them and the arena operators. My ZZ Top ticket for the cheap seats at the Irving Toyota Center a couple of years ago, was still a reasonable $35. But.... the added service fees and charges, made that back row ticket $53.

Back in the days before Rainbow Ticketmaster, I got my tickets from Preston Ticket Agency. They would send me my Mail Order tickets back to me by mail... NO Service Charges whatsoever!! :)
The Telecom Act of 1996 is what ruined radio. Those AOR, Album Oriented Rock, stations that you loved were my mainstay and I still long for the old KZEW and when I was in the broadcast services field, I traveled and got to hear all of the greats and met most of the on air talent which were more music geeks than radio personalities.

AOR was the first format created for music people, not radio people and there's a big difference between the two. Radio people can't hear a song enough and twice in the same day is too much for music people. It was also the second music format to FM, after Easy Listening, and led to the legitimization of FM and the need to have that and leave AM and the 18 minutes of commercials an hour behind.

However, I must say the magic time of radio was 63-70 when American rock n roll, British Invasion, Motown and Sweet Soul music co-existed and the variety of the music had never been at that level before. The hits just kept on coming.

sulu1701

Reaction score
We used to listen to this radio station on Long Island, WLIR, they played nothing but new wave,when the other stations wouldn't play the music, they put a lot of groups on the map, like Duran Duran, Blondie,Simple Minds, and The Fixx and billed themselves as the station that dared to be different, it was great until corporate america forced them off the air