Things this team should do but won’t

GenoT

Reaction score
One other point. If Mike McCarthy wants to stick around and turn this thing around, he needs to take a page from the Jimmy Johnson playbook. In Jimmy’s first year, with a bad roster and a need to strengthen the culture, he created a tough environment with a revolving door.

Who can play? Who is willing to pay the price to toughen this team up? Whoever doesn’t buy in to the future should be jettisoned off this ship.

Too much of this roster sucks and there’s a soft culture that has stunk up this place for too long. If Big Mac can’t get tough and address those problems nothing will change except the names on the jerseys. We need him to step up and start kicking some rear ends IMO.
Bob...unlike in the Jimmy Era, where Johnson autonomously ruled the roster, MMc can only be as tough as Jerry allows him to be.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Things this team should do, but won’t because they are led by idiots:
  • Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th-6th round pick. Makes no sense to keep him now with no playoff run on the horizon. AND- He will be too expensive next offseason to re-sign IMO. And then we will get nothing.
  • Play all the youngsters to see if they can be developed into future starters. Play Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Bradlee Anae, and maybe DiNucci. And if Looney is healthy, keep Biadaz in there. It makes no sense to play old guys at this point. The Nooch won’t be a starter, but maybe he could be a cheaper backup.
  • For the love of gawd, cut Ty Crawford. He’s not even decent anymore and his paycheck is ridiculously high. We need to play the youngsters anyway.
  • Keep your eyes out for the practice squad guys that could be snatched and play them. Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough worth checking out.
Bottom line: Attention Jones Cartel: The season is over. It’s time to plan for the future and rebuilding what is a bottom third of the NFL roster.

The improvement begins when the Jones boys wake up, put down the Koolaide and face reality.

4th for Aldon, sure. Less, I don't think so. I think we can do better with comp picks than that. However, the rest I'm all for.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He is a 2nd round pick, that didnt see much time his first year. He got stronger and was making improvements, and getting playing time this year. At the least, he will be a solid rotation guy.

Developing players is something that happens

This weekend there was a thread where a poster argued with me that Hill never be a starter, even though he was the starter this year before getting hurt.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
This weekend there was a thread where a poster argued with me that Hill never be a starter, even though he was the starter this year before getting hurt.
He was and he was showing some nice flashes. He was playing very hard. If you pair him up with a young stud NT next year, he could really start to flourish. I noticed the run defense took a HUGE hit after Hill has been out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes, well many times fans do not know what is best though they think they do. :lmao:
Agreed. A lot of these fans have no idea where they’re talking about.

Yes. As a lot of these fans do not know as much as what they think they know.
That has been proven over and over again.
Does the FO make mistakes, yes they do, but if these fans ran the team, 0-16 every year and they too think they are still smart at doing it. And 25 years later, since they can't fire themselves with not 1 win. They still won't have a clue.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
  • Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th-6th round pick. Makes no sense to keep him now with no playoff run on the horizon. AND- He will be too expensive next offseason to re-sign IMO. And then we will get nothing.
  • Play all the youngsters to see if they can be developed into future starters. Play Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Bradlee Anae, and maybe DiNucci. And if Looney is healthy, keep Biadaz in there. It makes no sense to play old guys at this point. The Nooch won’t be a starter, but maybe he could be a cheaper backup.
  • For the love of gawd, cut Ty Crawford. He’s not even decent anymore and his paycheck is ridiculously high. We need to play the youngsters anyway.
  • Keep your eyes out for the practice squad guys that could be snatched and play them. Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough worth checking out.
Bottom line: Attention Jones Cartel: The season is over. It’s time to plan for the future and rebuilding what is a bottom third of the NFL roster.

The improvement begins when the Jones boys wake up, put down the Koolaide and face reality.
Didn't you hear, they still have a chance in the NFCE.
Aldon Smith is done, I would take a used toaster oven for him
Yes, on the youngsters. The team showed a spark after dumping Poe.
Did you see Crawford get knocked into next week by Kelce? That's gonna get some hoots during film session.
Like your practice squad strategy. Would love to see that.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He is a 2nd round pick, that didnt see much time his first year. He got stronger and was making improvements, and getting playing time this year. At the least, he will be a solid rotation guy.

Developing players is something that happens
He was a part of the trash run defense.

visionary

Reaction score
Thanks. That may make sense as to why the Cowboys dont want to move him then. If a team is offering a 5th, but the Cowboys think they may be able to get that just by letting him walk....why not just hang on to him?

Yes but you’re assuming a lot there. Aldon is already not playing as well as he did in the first few games. His play might fall off even further if everything is crumbling around him

if we are offered a 5th I take it and bank it

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes but you’re assuming a lot there. Aldon is already not playing as well as he did in the first few games. His play might fall off even further if everything is crumbling around him

if we are offered a 5th I take it and bank it

Good point

Aven8

Reaction score
One other point. If Mike McCarthy wants to stick around and turn this thing around, he needs to take a page from the Jimmy Johnson playbook. In Jimmy’s first year, with a bad roster and a need to strengthen the culture, he created a tough environment with a revolving door.

Who can play? Who is willing to pay the price to toughen this team up? Whoever doesn’t buy in to the future should be jettisoned off this ship.

Too much of this roster sucks and there’s a soft culture that has stunk up this place for too long. If Big Mac can’t get tough and address those problems nothing will change except the names on the jerseys. We need him to step up and start kicking some rear ends IMO.

I thought that happened yesterday. The D actually had a pulse and we clearly looked like the better team had it not been for our QB. We were even gashing them with the run. I watched that defense play against Pitts weeks ago and it’s legit. They looked about a million times better than last week.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You know the Jones would be celebrating a 5-11 NFC East title.

They don't get it and never have understood the concept of managing a team.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, quit and tank? No thanks, put your best on the field. It's comical to me when people want to do that. Players get an average of 3 or 4 year careers and people want them to lay down, when they are fighting for a job and paycheck. Play the young guy so that we can cut the veteran. Yeah, that'll be a great locker room.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Regarding Crawford. He’s awwwwwful. He was getting road graded the last two weeks by the football team and the eaglets’ less than stellar OLs. I saw three times last night where he was getting shoved five yards downfield at the snap. That’s why. And his cap hit is really not big at this point. He’s only slightly better than what Poe was.

Regarding Aldon Smith- they may want to sign him. But he’s going to cost a lot more than a great young defensive stud that could be drafted and developed at a cheaper price and with more upside.
Why wouldn't they re-sign Aldon Smith AND draft a stud defensive linemen? Why is it either or?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You know the Jones would be celebrating a 5-11 NFC East title.

They don't get it and never have understood the concept of managing a team.
I don't care about records. The objective is to win the NFC East. So I'm not upset about them wanting to win that. Its the fact their product just isn't up to par.