Things this team should do but won’t

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they re-sign Aldon Smith AND draft a stud defensive linemen? Why is it either or?

This is what I'm thinking as well. I try to keep Aldon around. I don't think he will be that expensive (unless he catches on fire the rest of the season for some reason).

Brax

Reaction score
Things this team should do, but won’t because they are led by idiots:
  • Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th-6th round pick. Makes no sense to keep him now with no playoff run on the horizon. AND- He will be too expensive next offseason to re-sign IMO. And then we will get nothing.
  • Play all the youngsters to see if they can be developed into future starters. Play Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Bradlee Anae, and maybe DiNucci. And if Looney is healthy, keep Biadaz in there. It makes no sense to play old guys at this point. The Nooch won’t be a starter, but maybe he could be a cheaper backup.
  • For the love of gawd, cut Ty Crawford. He’s not even decent anymore and his paycheck is ridiculously high. We need to play the youngsters anyway.
  • Keep your eyes out for the practice squad guys that could be snatched and play them. Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough worth checking out.
Bottom line: Attention Jones Cartel: The season is over. It’s time to plan for the future and rebuilding what is a bottom third of the NFL roster.

The improvement begins when the Jones boys wake up, put down the Koolaide and face reality.
They like the core players they have, sorry bullet bob But common sense and eating humble pie isn’t a Jerry specialty especially since he bought all groceries.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rebuilding? How about we get players back from injury. Tyron, Collins, Dak, Jarwin, and Hill. Those players knock us pretty high up on nfl rosters
Other than Dak, maybe Collins, I disagree. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ty Smith. He has been great- not just good- for many years. But he’s closer to retirement than excellence. I will be surprised if he plays again. The kind of problems he has usually don’t allow you to play much longer and certainly not at the same level.

Dak is great, assuming his leg is ok next year. But this defense is so devoid of talent, it is a pipe dream, to think that all we need is a year of healing. If we don’t infuse a combination of young talent plus a toughening of this soft culture, the high water mark will again be 8-8.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, quit and tank? No thanks, put your best on the field. It's comical to me when people want to do that. Players get an average of 3 or 4 year careers and people want them to lay down, when they are fighting for a job and paycheck. Play the young guy so that we can cut the veteran. Yeah, that'll be a great locker room.
I never used quit or tank in my post. I did say play all the youngsters and stop pretending this roster is anything other than bottom third. That’s not tanking or quitting. It’s waking up to reality.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  • Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th-6th round pick. Makes no sense to keep him now with no playoff run on the horizon. AND- He will be too expensive next offseason to re-sign IMO. And then we will get nothing.
  • Play all the youngsters to see if they can be developed into future starters. Play Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Bradlee Anae, and maybe DiNucci. And if Looney is healthy, keep Biadaz in there. It makes no sense to play old guys at this point. The Nooch won’t be a starter, but maybe he could be a cheaper backup.
  • For the love of gawd, cut Ty Crawford. He’s not even decent anymore and his paycheck is ridiculously high. We need to play the youngsters anyway.
  • Keep your eyes out for the practice squad guys that could be snatched and play them. Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough worth checking out.
Bottom line: Attention Jones Cartel: The season is over. It’s time to plan for the future and rebuilding what is a bottom third of the NFL roster.

The improvement begins when the Jones boys wake up, put down the Koolaide and face reality.

This team could definitely make the playoffs next season. With a top 5 pick, playing all these young guys, and a last place schedule, its more than possible in my opinion. Offense should again be unstoppable as long as Collins and Smith come back healthy.

Get a DT or LBer with the top pick, safety or corner with the 2nd. Maybe one key defensive signing? It could happen.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Unless Smith picks it back up, he won't be that expensive to re-sign. And if he does pick it back up, I'd prefer re-signing him to trading him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Other than Dak, maybe Collins, I disagree. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ty Smith. He has been great- not just good- for many years. But he’s closer to retirement than excellence. I will be surprised if he plays again. The kind of problems he has usually don’t allow you to play much longer and certainly not at the same level.

Dak is great, assuming his leg is ok next year. But this defense is so devoid of talent, it is a pipe dream, to think that all we need is a year of healing. If we don’t infuse a combination of young talent plus a toughening of this soft culture, the high water mark will again be 8-8.

Yah...........if we dont. But this team will have a top 5 pick next year AND a last place schedule.

kumizi

Reaction score
Rebuilding? How about we get players back from injury. Tyron, Collins, Dak, Jarwin, and Hill. Those players knock us pretty high up on nfl rosters
How many of these players play defense? we have a historically bad defense

edit: I thought it was sarcasm at first but apparently there are multiple people in this thread that think Trysten Hill was playing well this year. I swear our fan base is stupider than the Jones boys.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
I’m onboard with playing the youngsters. See what you have and get valuable playing time that includes Nooch. Can he be a future backup QB? Let’s see 3-4 more games with him.

conner01

Reaction score

Tell me one benefit of cutting Crawford
Doesn’t save a Penney
He’s not signed next year

kumizi

Reaction score
Tell me one benefit of cutting Crawford
Doesn’t save a Penney
He’s not signed next year

The benefit is letting the other 50 guys in the locker room know that if you suck ***, we're not going to keep you around. That this isn't a country club.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

Dak, Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Martin, Biadiasz, Conner, Collins, Tyron, Jarwin, Mcgovern, zeke, pollard -- offense

Dlaw, Gregory, Hill, Gallimore, Diggs, Brown, LVE, Thomas, and some young guys -- defense

The defense does need talent and toughening, but you have 2 really good DE's in Dlaw and Gregory, a young corner that might be pretty good, LVE is good when he is healthy, and some young guys who can step up.

If they are able to get 2 or 3 defensive players in the draft that can play, a cheap free agent or 2, it will make a big difference. If the offense is healthy and scoring points, playing with a lead, and controlling the clock, it will make the defense even better.

I don't get people saying the Cowboys need a rebuild. They have a ton of talent.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never used quit or tank in my post. I did say play all the youngsters and stop pretending this roster is anything other than bottom third. That’s not tanking or quitting. It’s waking up to reality.
You dont have to say it.. Playing your backups is tanking no matter how you look at it. If you aren't playing your best players, you may as well quit.
Pick up practice squad players and cut or trade starters. OK, that's not tanking or quitting.
My bad....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak, Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Martin, Biadiasz, Conner, Collins, Tyron, Jarwin, Mcgovern, zeke, pollard -- offense

Dlaw, Gregory, Hill, Gallimore, Diggs, Brown, LVE, Thomas, and some young guys -- defense

The defense does need talent and toughening, but you have 2 really good DE's in Dlaw and Gregory, a young corner that might be pretty good, LVE is good when he is healthy, and some young guys who can step up.

If they are able to get 2 or 3 defensive players in the draft that can play, a cheap free agent or 2, it will make a big difference. If the offense is healthy and scoring points, playing with a lead, and controlling the clock, it will make the defense even better.

I don't get people saying the Cowboys need a rebuild. They have a ton of talent.
:thumbup:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
How many of these players play defense? we have a historically bad defense

edit: I thought it was sarcasm at first but apparently there are multiple people in this thread that think Trysten Hill was playing well this year. I swear our fan base is stupider than the Jones boys.

The defense is bad.

Tristen Hill stepped up his game from last year, in which he did not get much playing time. He is a 2nd round pick. He got reps in 4 games this year. He is not a bust. He is still on his rookie contract for 2 years. He might not be a superstar, but what are you expecting on an offensive based team? Do you really think they are going to get 11 superstars on the defense?

waving monkey

Reaction score
So, quit and tank? No thanks, put your best on the field. It's comical to me when people want to do that. Players get an average of 3 or 4 year careers and people want them to lay down, when they are fighting for a job and paycheck. Play the young guy so that we can cut the veteran. Yeah, that'll be a great locker room.
so its OK for team FO to tank for a QB in the draft or generally tank to rebuild but "oh hell a fan just cant". Miami is now looking relevant

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so its OK for team FO to tank for a QB in the draft or generally tank to rebuild but "oh hell a fan just cant". Miami is now looking relevant
I don't know how a fan tanks, and no, I don't think its OK for a FO to tank. I know it happens, but I do not agree with EVER losing on purpose. Some of you see it as OK, that's your choice, but call it what it is. It's quitting and tanking.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I don't know how a fan tanks, and no, I don't think its OK for a FO to tank. I know it happens, but I do not agree with EVER losing on purpose. Some of you see it as OK, that's your choice, but call it what it is. It's quitting and tanking.
We can disagree. I see lots of traditional values getting the heave ho. I rather suffer short term then strive our best to mediocrity.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can disagree. I see lots of traditional values getting the heave ho. I rather suffer short term then strive our best to mediocrity.
I look at it from a coaches and players perspective. I guess that's why I feel strongly about this topic.

CWR

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only GM dumb enough to give a #1 pick for a WR is here.

And the Pats who gave up a one for Brandon Cooks, then Im pretty sure the Rams gave them back that first to take Cooks from the Pats. It happens.