Things this team should do but won’t

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell me one benefit of cutting Crawford
Doesn’t save a Penney
He’s not signed next year
One benefit- playing someone who might have some upside and a future with us. Crawford is the past. There is no next year with him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the Pats who gave up a one for Brandon Cooks, then Im pretty sure the Rams gave them back that first to take Cooks from the Pats. It happens.
Yes. It’s happened 4 times in the last decade. That’s not very often.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how a fan tanks, and no, I don't think its OK for a FO to tank. I know it happens, but I do not agree with EVER losing on purpose. Some of you see it as OK, that's your choice, but call it what it is. It's quitting and tanking.
Brother it’s NOT about quitting, tanking or losing on purpose. I’m against that too. But it is about playing young guys that we need to see if they have a future with us or not. But playing guys like Crawford makes no sense right now. If we were in a realistic drive for a playoff spot, maybe. But even then, Crawford is literally getting trucked. He’s lost his power. He’s killing us right now. Playing a young kid over him is the opposite of quitting IMO.

kskboys

Reaction score
Brother it’s NOT about quitting, tanking or losing on purpose. I’m against that too. But it is about playing young guys that we need to see if they have a future with us or not. But playing guys like Crawford makes no sense right now. If we were in a realistic drive for a playoff spot, maybe. But even then, Crawford is literally getting trucked. He’s lost his power. He’s killing us right now. Playing a young kid over him is the opposite of quitting IMO.
This season should be strictly about the future from here on out.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want them to go back to a 43. I dont care who runs it.

Aldon doesnt fit that scheme, so yes, they ought to deal him.

I would say that you forgot that snaps should be given to Pollard and Dowdle. It's not a punishment thing as much as it's just a good football decision.

Get Bernard on the damn field also. Take a look at least.

Some of these things may happen once they actually GET to ten losses.

They played 4-2-5 the entire Eagles game...

They only play 3-4 on run downs.

Do you want 6-1, 240 LB or 6-3, 325 DT as the 11th man on run downs...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
One other point. If Mike McCarthy wants to stick around and turn this thing around, he needs to take a page from the Jimmy Johnson playbook. In Jimmy’s first year, with a bad roster and a need to strengthen the culture, he created a tough environment with a revolving door.

Who can play? Who is willing to pay the price to toughen this team up? Whoever doesn’t buy in to the future should be jettisoned off this ship.

Too much of this roster sucks and there’s a soft culture that has stunk up this place for too long. If Big Mac can’t get tough and address those problems nothing will change except the names on the jerseys. We need him to step up and start kicking some rear ends IMO.

To be fair, Jimmy didn't have to contend with a salary cap. He also didn't have much in the way of "stars" with big contracts. Dumping one of those guys would get everyone's attention but no way Booger & Son would allow such a thing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
To be fair, Jimmy didn't have to contend with a salary cap. He also didn't have much in the way of "stars" with big contracts. Dumping one of those guys would get everyone's attention but no way Booger & Son would allow such a thing.
That's a good point.

The salaries were not out of line then either. I suppose one facilitated the other.

That contract that Emmitt had to miss two games for was 4 years and 13 million total.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They played 4-2-5 the entire Eagles game...

They only play 3-4 on run downs.

Do you want 6-1, 240 LB or 6-3, 325 DT as the 11th man on run downs...
I want what's going to work, and whatever they are doing isnt.

Players either appear to not be comfortable or not grasp the scheme. Of course it doesnt help that some of them flat out cant play anymore...

If the idea is to spend three years bringing in 15 Nolan guys only to dump him and start over, I'm not on board.

I'd say pick a scheme as an organization and stay with it. Select players around that scheme.

The Nolan hybrid stuff is all over the place. I was excited about it at first because I knew it would confuse people....just didnt think we would be the confused ones.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Rebuilding? How about we get players back from injury. Tyron, Collins, Dak, Jarwin, and Hill. Those players knock us pretty high up on nfl rosters
Dak, Jarwin and Hill yes. Tyron can no longer be relied upon as a day to day LT. He needs to take a pay cut or we need to find his replacement ASAP. Collins showed how much he cared about football this year. He makes way to much money to be a guy who is not committed to winning.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how a fan tanks, and no, I don't think its OK for a FO to tank. I know it happens, but I do not agree with EVER losing on purpose. Some of you see it as OK, that's your choice, but call it what it is. It's quitting and tanking.
Of course it is but some are fine with that as they see it as ultimately winning for the short term losing.

The problem with that is it's the same people responsible for that ultimate winning that have been losing for a long time. The assumption is they get Lawrence and problem solved, he can play beyond their ineptitude to build teams around good enough QB's. The QB isn't the problem; the team is the problem.

Besides that, the owner is the ultimate optimist and as long as there is a sliver of hope, he'll not give in or up. The problem is they don't have to tank to lose, they can do plenty of that trying to win.

kskboys

Reaction score
Did you know that when Jimmy was drafting, he'd talk to the players and base his drafting to a large extent on signability? Stayed away from players who were going to be problems.

Plankton

Reaction score
Yah...........if we dont. But this team will have a top 5 pick next year AND a last place schedule.

You do realize that the "last place" schedule is basically the exact same schedule as the first place team, with the exception of two games?

catiii

Reaction score
One other point. If Mike McCarthy wants to stick around and turn this thing around, he needs to take a page from the Jimmy Johnson playbook. In Jimmy’s first year, with a bad roster and a need to strengthen the culture, he created a tough environment with a revolving door.

Who can play? Who is willing to pay the price to toughen this team up? Whoever doesn’t buy in to the future should be jettisoned off this ship.

Too much of this roster sucks and there’s a soft culture that has stunk up this place for too long. If Big Mac can’t get tough and address those problems nothing will change except the names on the jerseys. We need him to step up and start kicking some rear ends IMO.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You do realize that the "last place" schedule is basically the exact same schedule as the first place team, with the exception of two games?

Two games against playoff teams or last place teams is a lot. Just take a look at what Philly is having to deal with this year. You want to play New Orleans and Tampa or the Jags and Detriot?

Can make a big big difference when winning the division.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Have you ever been at work and you look around and see people that make way more money than you who do absolutely nothing to help the company generate a profit? That is how a lot of the younger Cowboy players are feeling. It is not a good thing to have happening. Cutting Crawford and Jaylon would make a world of difference.

Plankton

Reaction score
Two games against playoff teams or last place teams is a lot. Just take a look at what Philly is having to deal with this year. You want to play New Orleans and Tampa or the Jags and Detriot?

Can make a big big difference when winning the division.

You're making the assumption that the same teams will be playing at the same level the following year. It's not always the case.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The NFL could put a stop to tanking the same way the NBA has done it - every team who misses the playoffs goes into a lottery. It's weighted, but it's not a guarantee the worst record gets the first pick.

TV networks don't pay huge sums to televise teams who are not trying to win. Besides, who becomes a fan of a team just to turn around and root for losses? The system that rewards failure creates that scenario and it needs to change.

I'd give the first team out the first pick - the one who just missed the playoffs. Tanking now becomes self-defeating. The goal becomes to win as many games as possible. Imagine that.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
For starters send a 2nd round & 5th round pick to the Jets for DT Quinnen Williams.
Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th round pick or better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You're making the assumption that the same teams will be playing at the same level the following year. It's not always the case.

Are you really arguing that a last place schedule isn't better than a first place one? Whatever buddy.

Plankton

Reaction score
Are you really arguing that a last place schedule isn't better than a first place one? Whatever buddy.

No, I'm the one saying that a 14% difference in opponents based on what happened the previous year isn't a real advantage. Look at the AFC East. New England finished first last year. Whoever finished first in the two divisions of the AFC will end up playing them, while the second place teams in those divisions end up with the Bills. Which team has the harder schedule this year? I'll give you a hint - it isn't the team that finished first.

You can't judge it when it's based on the prior years results when so much can change. This, and the fact that 14 of the 16 games are the same, makes the last place schedule argument null and void.