Things this team should do but won’t

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL could put a stop to tanking the same way the NBA has done it - every team who misses the playoffs goes into a lottery. It's weighted, but it's not a guarantee the worst record gets the first pick.

TV networks don't pay huge sums to televise teams who are not trying to win. Besides, who becomes a fan of a team just to turn around and root for losses? The system that rewards failure creates that scenario and it needs to change.

I'd give the first team out the first pick - the one who just missed the playoffs. Tanking now becomes self-defeating. The goal becomes to win as many games as possible. Imagine that.
The thing about the Cowboys the rest of the year- I think they will play hard and scheme to win. As they always should. Intentional tanking is a cancer on your organization.

The truth is though, this team is in such a bad way right now, they’re going to lose either way.

Hardline

Reaction score
Things this team should do, but won’t because they are led by idiots:
  • Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th-6th round pick. Makes no sense to keep him now with no playoff run on the horizon. AND- He will be too expensive next offseason to re-sign IMO. And then we will get nothing.
  • Play all the youngsters to see if they can be developed into future starters. Play Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Bradlee Anae, and maybe DiNucci. And if Looney is healthy, keep Biadaz in there. It makes no sense to play old guys at this point. The Nooch won’t be a starter, but maybe he could be a cheaper backup.
  • For the love of gawd, cut Ty Crawford. He’s not even decent anymore and his paycheck is ridiculously high. We need to play the youngsters anyway.
  • Keep your eyes out for the practice squad guys that could be snatched and play them. Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough worth checking out.
Bottom line: Attention Jones Cartel: The season is over. It’s time to plan for the future and rebuilding what is a bottom third of the NFL roster.

The improvement begins when the Jones boys wake up, put down the Koolaide and face reality.
I wish you were the GM.

rags

Reaction score
  • Trade Aldon Smith for a 4th-6th round pick. Makes no sense to keep him now with no playoff run on the horizon. AND- He will be too expensive next offseason to re-sign IMO. And then we will get nothing.
  • Play all the youngsters to see if they can be developed into future starters. Play Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Bradlee Anae, and maybe DiNucci. And if Looney is healthy, keep Biadaz in there. It makes no sense to play old guys at this point. The Nooch won’t be a starter, but maybe he could be a cheaper backup.
  • For the love of gawd, cut Ty Crawford. He’s not even decent anymore and his paycheck is ridiculously high. We need to play the youngsters anyway.
  • Keep your eyes out for the practice squad guys that could be snatched and play them. Maybe there’s a diamond in the rough worth checking out.
Bottom line: Attention Jones Cartel: The season is over. It’s time to plan for the future and rebuilding what is a bottom third of the NFL roster.

The improvement begins when the Jones boys wake up, put down the Koolaide and face reality.

Did you forget get rid of Jerry and Stephen?

kskboys

Reaction score
The thing about the Cowboys the rest of the year- I think they will play hard and scheme to win. As they always should. Intentional tanking is a cancer on your organization.

The truth is though, this team is in such a bad way right now, they’re going to lose either way.
Jimmy tanking sure didn't seem to have that cancerous effect.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy tanking sure didn't seem to have that cancerous effect.
I never saw what they did in ‘89 as tanking. They tried to win all 16. But they did know they had a bad roster and Jimmy had a revolving door roster to find a few diamonds in the rough either left over from Landry years (like Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei) or other sleepers like Jay Novacek from “Plan B” FAs.

Jimmy was always trying to win. But he always had the big picture in mind.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Theres no such thing as tanking as it pertains to this team right now.

They have to get it right from a coaching perspective.

They think they have that right. A lot of that is because Jerry committed to MM already on a meeting filled with whim.

I personally think he blew it. Let's see.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Theres no such thing as tanking as it pertains to this team right now.

They have to get it right from a coaching perspective.

They think they have that right. A lot of that is because Jerry committed to MM already on a meeting filled with whim.

I personally think he blew it. Let's see.
I remember the day MM was hired, a lot of us on this forum immediately said, “This is a win now hire.” Because Mac is clearly not a rebuild kind of coach. He didn’t rebuild GB. He has some strengths but one of them is not rebuilding a roster.

Which leads me to wonder if Jerry knows that and knows now that he badly miscalculated what this current roster is- mediocre at best. And that’s with Dak, Ty Smith, and La’el Collins. Even if the injuries hadn’t hit, this team was so poorly constructed on defense, it was never going to be in a deep playoff run anyway.

But again, do Jerry and Stephen get that? That remains to be seen. But if they do get that they have a much weaker roster than they thought, are they willing to admit it and go another direction? I doubt it. Jerry hates to admit he was wrong, despite a qtr of a century of his mistakes as evidence.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Here's a big problem with at least some of what you said. The league keeps a close eye on teams that are in the running for a top 5 pick to make sure they are still trying to win every game. If the Cowboys played all of the younger inexperienced players the league would take that as the Cowboys were no long really trying to win but just holding tryouts for the younger players and that would cost the Cowboys their 1st and possibly their 2nd round draft picks. The other thing is Smith has publicly said how grateful he is that the Cowboys gave him a chance to resume his career and very well could accept a very team friendly contract.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Aldon Smith would be eligible to get the Cowboys a comp pick if he leaves in FA?

Players that sign a 1 year deal and then leave after everything is put in the formula their scores are so low that since there is a limited number of compensatory picks given out each year so that teams that have those 1 year contracts never see compensatory picks for them. That's an explanation that someone from the NFL management council said in an article a year or two ago.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I remember the day MM was hired, a lot of us on this forum immediately said, “This is a win now hire.” Because Mac is clearly not a rebuild kind of coach. He didn’t rebuild GB. He has some strengths but one of them is not rebuilding a roster.

Which leads me to wonder if Jerry knows that and knows now that he badly miscalculated what this current roster is- mediocre at best. And that’s with Dak, Ty Smith, and La’el Collins. Even if the injuries hadn’t hit, this team was so poorly constructed on defense, it was never going to be in a deep playoff run anyway.

But again, do Jerry and Stephen get that? That remains to be seen. But if they do get that they have a much weaker roster than they thought, are they willing to admit it and go another direction? I doubt it. Jerry hates to admit he was wrong, despite a qtr of a century of his mistakes as evidence.

McCarthy like 30 of the other 31 coaches was not the GM so like the other coaches only had the players the GM resigned and/or drafted to work with. Now coaches do have some input but the decisions are ultimately made by the GM. So to say a coach is or is not a rebuilding coach is stretching things a bit. Going into this season by most people in the sporting world the Cowboys had very good skilled position players on offense. They probably knew but didn't publicly admit that they had some problems on defense but were hoping that Poe and Aldon Smith would at least show something. But to say that going into this season that as a team they were just mediocre again is stretching it a bit. I will admit the defense was like that or many even less but like I said most in the sporting world felt the offense was good.

As far as saying because the defense is so bad and had no shot at getting a playoff run, this season Seattle doesn't have a very good defense but many believe they will get pretty deep in the playoffs. Most of the time the teams that win the Super Bowl have better defenses but that could change this season with Seattle.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Cut pollards carries
Throw to cooper 14 times a game.
Only use the top 3 receivers unless it’s 4 wide.
Put Aldon at dt on 3rd downs.
Run zeke 22-30 times a game for the rest of the year.

kskboys

Reaction score
I never saw what they did in ‘89 as tanking. They tried to win all 16. But they did know they had a bad roster and Jimmy had a revolving door roster to find a few diamonds in the rough either left over from Landry years (like Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei) or other sleepers like Jay Novacek from “Plan B” FAs.

Jimmy was always trying to win. But he always had the big picture in mind.
He didn't play better players. That's not trying to win.