Think the NFL is happy the Cowboys missed the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
probably not but Goodell takes his marching orders from Mara so i guess he is happy

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CC, you may be right, but my take on the reason why they've slowly been losing viewers is because they ruined the game when they introduced parity with salary cap and free agency. Instead of the teams that weren't getting the share of the market becoming better, like they thought would happen, the opposite happened to many teams. They got worse and the bad teams didn't improve. Sure there are teams that overcame parity, but I don't think the fans of those top teams, and we all know who they were, lost interest because their team is now average.

It's sad when a division winner is 9-7 and makes the playoffs but a team that went 11-5 doesn't because they were edged out for the wildcard. That's my take on why fans are losing interest.
Quick, that speaks to a different issue and one I've spent a lot of time in the pulpit about. When the owners chose greed over real competition with expansion, they doomed the game. But they don't care about the sport, just giving the illusion that they do because it's all about the money and I mean all of it, every single thing they do is about the money.

Name me one position in the NFL where they can have 32 quality players. Ya can't because they can't even get 32 PK's or P's. Now throw the OL in there, they can't get 32 OT's let alone 32 LT's. Now, factor in the lost games through injury, which is increasing every season and how many teams can have depth?

The Cowboys teams of the 70's and 90's weren't just about the stars and the defenses, they had depth. That 90's team sent backups on both lines to start for other teams. They were able to do that because there was no cap.

The fact that QB's make 25M a year to play for the NFL or WR's make 14M is ludicrous and the league only has themselves to blame for a total lack of vision. If there aren't enough A List players to go around and the price is being driven out of sight and mid level players get star money just because of the available FA's at their position in a given year are down, the solution to me is an easy one.

When they were limiting the rosters before the cap that was to protect their profit. They have to spend a minimum on players salaries over a 3 year period anyway so why have rosters limited to 53? Hell, go to 75 and employ another 704 players and spread that wealth over more players and have better depth and stop hiring and firing players on a weekly basis.

If the cap increases, then it's not a share the wealth among a few, which is what these greedy players want. It becomes the league's choice to expand the rosters and employ even more players. The A List players are still gonna make more but there's no reason for them to make as much as their making and if they don't like that, take a job in the private sector and see how they like that.

The NFL is just plain stupid and they'd be better connected to the fans without players making such obscene amounts of money just because there's too few of them allowed in the league. If they can't get this better organized by the next CBA, blow it up and start all over again and if the players don't like it, go to Canada.

Last edited:

mmohican29

Reaction score
The NFL loses no money either way so it's a moot point.

It's only when the next TV deals come along will they be concerned.

This.

The conspiracy is alive and well regardless of ratings. The NFL and Goodell HAVE their money.

What viewing competition is there on Sundays between 12 and 8pm? None.

The owners are billionaires who can stand to lose millions of "potential dollars"-especially when deals in place guarantee ridiculous profitability despite waning viewership.

Make no mistake it's no coincidence that Dez didn't catch it, Zeke beat his gf, no holdings ever on opponents, etc.

This is Jerry's compadres telling him indirectly ** idgaf

Mad_max

Reaction score
Take a look at this from this past weekend:

Wild Card Weekend Overnights Roundup:
TEN-KC: 14.7 HH -11% YOY vs. 16.6 (OAK-HOU)
ATL-LAR: 14.9 HH -10% YOY vs. 16.5 (DET-SEA)
BUF-JAX: 17.2 HH -10% YOY vs. 19.2 (MIA-PIT)
CAR-NO: 20.4 HH -21% YOY vs. 25.9 (NYG-GB)

That is almost a 15% drop from 2017, which was a drop from 2016. The bleeding continues and they don't have the answer.

Last year there were 2 playoff games that actually had an increase over 2016, DAL-GB and NE-PIT, and that was it. Not even the SB had an increase. And that game had 1 of the 4 ratings locks, NE. The other 3 are DAL, GB and PIT.

Now, there are various explanations, beginning with the Presidential debates last year but that proved to be false as it did not recover.

Then we get the anthem kneeling but that is avoidable and even the league started doing that by keeping players in the locker room.

So, why are so many turning it off? Wanna hear my reason? Oh, sure you do, don't be that way.

First of all, do you think attention spans have been on the rise or decline? Experts tell us not only on the decline but it is a sharp one. How long does it take to watch a game? 3.5 hours most of the time if we're lucky when games back in the 70's were completed at about 2:45. Now, how much action is there? The exact same amount of action allotted, 4 15 minute quarters but how many stops in today's games?

It takes too long and too much energy to stay involved, it is a passive medium and they're asking viewers to be active. I have a reason for my challenge staying involved but I think it is a chore for "normal" viewers as well. They created the Red Zone Channel for ADD's like me.

The NFL must look within for the reasons why they're losing interest and the Golden Geese, those networks, are nervous and they sure would like the Cowboys and Packers in the playoffs.

My attention span declines every time I see Garrett clap. Haven't I seen you someplace before?

Mad_max

Reaction score
Buffalo? Jacksonville? Tennessee? The Rams? Last year's WC weekend included Pittsburgh, Green Bay, the Raiders and Giants. I would expect last year's ratings to be higher, if for no other reason than the popularity of the participants.

It doesn't help that the games take forever to play.

That is a big problem. The few, not Cowboy games I have seen this year really stunk.

Jipper

Reaction score
the cowboys making the playoffs, just like the raiders/patriots/steelers, is very good for the nfl and I would highly doubt that any of them would be happy....except that there are some good storylines setting up for the offseason and the early part of next year....

funny...you never hear anyone say, the nfl is happy about the browns missing the playoffs....or a variety of other teams without a major national followng

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
I'm not watching the playoffs at all... Well, I'm actually not watching anything, no TV, no movies, just a bit of YouTube... Tired of snowflake propaganda...

I hope the NFL ratings continue to decline in 2018...

But yeah, I never bought into a league bias against Dallas, the Cowboys are always the biggest draw.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Quick, that speaks to a different issue and one I've spent a lot of time in the pulpit about. When the owners chose greed over real competition with expansion, they doomed the game. But they don't care about the sport, just giving the illusion that they do because it's all about the money and I mean all of it, every single thing they do is about the money.

Name me one position in the NFL where they can have 32 quality players. Ya can't because they can't even get 32 PK's or P's. Now throw the OL in there, they can't get 32 OT's let alone 32 LT's. Now, factor in the lost games through injury, which is increasing every season and how many teams can have depth?

The Cowboys teams of the 70's and 90's weren't just about the stars and the defenses, they had depth. That 90's team sent backups on both lines to start for other teams. They were able to do that because there was no cap.

The fact that QB's make 25M a year to play for the NFL or WR's make 14M is ludicrous and the league only has themselves to blame for a total lack of vision. If there aren't enough A List players to go around and the price is being driven out of sight and mid level players get star money just because of the available FA's at their position in a given year are down, the solution to me is an easy one.

When they were limiting the rosters before the cap that was to protect their profit. They have to spend a minimum on players salaries over a 3 year period anyway so why have rosters limited to 53? Hell, go to 75 and employ another 704 players and spread that wealth over more players and have better depth and stop hiring and firing players on a weekly basis.

If the cap increases, then it's not a share the wealth among a few, which is what these greedy players want. It becomes the league's choice to expand the rosters and employ even more players. The A List players are still gonna make more but there's no reason for them to make as much as their making and if they don't like that, take a job in the private sector and see how they like that.

The NFL is just plain stupid and they'd be better connected to the fans without players making such obscene amounts of money just because there's too few of them allowed in the league. If they can't get this better organized by the next CBA, blow it up and start all over again and if the players don't like it, go to Canada.
While I whole heartedly agree I’m not sure I’d call them stupid . Maybe football stupid like we call Jerry but until this recent downturn their product was growing by record numbers with the same declining product.

Jerry contributions has greatly contributed to transforming the NFL much like he has the Cowboys into the biggest show on the planet.

It’s not just a football game anymore . The purity of the game has been diminished forever and we’ve provided our support all the way directly or indirectly.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is basically reviewing every play.

Instant Replay was implemented to correct blatantly obvious calls that changed the outcome of the game not to instill that every catch, tip toe down the sideline or breaking the plane were absolute perfection .
Would be nice if the rules they were reviewing at least made sense.
Does anyone know what a catch is?

remdak

Reaction score
Those ratings are especially bad for last weekend considering much of the country was in a deep freeze, so alot more people were at home.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be nice if the rules they were reviewing at least made sense.
Does anyone know what a catch is?
No, but I'll know it when they tell me what it is. I have really grown tired of watching catches/non catches in slow motion and debated endlessly.

If they'd do away with instant replay, we'd finally have our proof of the officiating conspiracy against the Cowboys. Well, not proof exactly but the absence of instant replay would be enough to confirm it. In fact, if they did away with it, they would be doing so to screw the Cowboys because we get the most replays because we're America's Team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The other issue I have with watching these games and contributing to my turning the audio off and listening to tunes is the incessant yakking by these commentators. Holy magpies, when did this happen? It didn't use to be this bad. Are the directors telling these guys "no dead air"? S'ok, we've got the visual and even in a blind drunken stupor can usually figure out what's going on.

I have weaned myself off MNF as a steady diet but the news that Gabby Gruden was leaving was a relief. Even my favorite, Herbstreit, wouldn't shut up during the Champs game and I had to turn the audio off. And Romo has finally gotten on my nerves acting as if he's playing video football "Oh, put this little man over there and this one over here and here he goes. Nope don't like it there, think I'll go here. Hurry up, hurry up, spike the ball". Tony, the game just started and it's 2nd down.

I would like to see them get some of those British actors from those dramas where they just stare at each other for a minute and then clear their throat. Or how about a guy with Tourette's Syndrone? Would have been nice to hear Mel Blanc do a game with his character voices or Jim Backus' Mr. Magoo do a game.

I can remember when the game only needed one announcer and he knew when to talk to us and when to let us just get a little more immersed in the game. The use of silence is an art form and talking is science.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
The other issue I have with watching these games and contributing to my turning the audio off and listening to tunes is the incessant yakking by these commentators. Holy magpies, when did this happen? It didn't use to be this bad. Are the directors telling these guys "no dead air"? S'ok, we've got the visual and even in a blind drunken stupor can usually figure out what's going on.

I have weaned myself off MNF as a steady diet but the news that Gabby Gruden was leaving was a relief. Even my favorite, Herbstreit, wouldn't shut up during the Champs game and I had to turn the audio off. And Romo has finally gotten on my nerves acting as if he's playing video football "Oh, put this little man over there and this one over here and here he goes. Nope don't like it there, think I'll go here. Hurry up, hurry up, spike the ball". Tony, the game just started and it's 2nd down.

I would like to see them get some of those British actors from those dramas where they just stare at each other for a minute and then clear their throat. Or how about a guy with Tourette's Syndrone? Would have been nice to hear Mel Blanc do a game with his character voices or Jim Backus' Mr. Magoo do a game.

I can remember when the game only needed one announcer and he knew when to talk to us and when to let us just get a little more immersed in the game. The use of silence is an art form and talking is science.
Mr. Bean would be a hoot calling a game. Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.