Thinking about an Ipad... need some info

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
So, I am thinking about an ipad.

I am constantly going on the internet on my editing computer and I should not be. I have no virus scan and am not going to install one. Yet I keep doing it! Like right now for instance.

so my question is it worth it for me?

All I am going to do with it is go on the web, listen to music, watch old cowboys games via my main computer.

So here is my question to anyone who has one, Is it powerful enough to stream HD videos or can it only handle small itunes compressed style video. Mp4 mov files that are really really compressed. I have alot of old vhs games and torent downloads that are compressed this way and I know they will play.

However will it handle a large HD Mpeg 2 video? I like to rewatch games when I am just sitting around and have them all encoded this way. Here is what the stats are on how I encode them.
http://img716.*************/img716/6655/stats5.jpg

can it handle them? and also, I stream my itunes music on all my computers and am assuming that is how the ipad works, I dont actually have to have the files installed on the ipad.

Just double checking.

Or should I wait for the new one?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
At this point you pretty much have to wait for the new one since it'll likely be out in April. Sounds like it's shaping up to be a pretty steep upgrade too. Major upgrades in processing power and screen resolution, which would make it much more desirable from the perspective of watching video on the device.

Also, there have been rumors of an SD card slot, so that would make watching your own videos much easier.

Either way, the iPad 2 announcement should be coming in a couple weeks, so you'll be better able to make your decision whether it's worth the wait then.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;3826636 said:
At this point you pretty much have to wait for the new one since it'll likely be out in April. Sounds like it's shaping up to be a pretty steep upgrade too. Major upgrades in processing power and screen resolution, which would make it much more desirable from the perspective of watching video on the device.

Also, there have been rumors of an SD card slot, so that would make watching your own videos much easier.

Either way, the iPad 2 announcement should be coming in a couple weeks, so you'll be better able to make your decision whether it's worth the wait then.

thanks.

seems like a perfect fit for me if it can play the video.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3826645 said:
Whats the point of tablets.

they are displacing laptops and desktops

My wife bought an IPad, she loves it as does CCF jr as he can play a ton of games on it.

NeonDeion21

Reaction score
I am on my iPad as I type it and love it. It has replaced my laptop and I use it for just about everything.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3826660 said:
they are displacing laptops and desktops

My wife bought an IPad, she loves it as does CCF jr as he can play a ton of games on it.

I just got used to using my laptop as my main PC, I still miss the desktop feel. I used the iPad in the store and I hate it.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
April is supposed to see the release of the iPad 2. I'd wait.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I get the giddy w/ tablets, but I would never own an iPad again or any other apple product. Im sick of Apple telling me what I can and can not view on it's devices when surfing the internet.

Oh we don't support Flash..you don't need flash, everyone should only use HTML 5 but let's not call it that anymore, lets just call it HTML.

Another thing...that irks me is that now the iphone users who send their phones in get the screws of it automatically replaced w/ a new screw that doesn't have a driver available for it. They do this w/o notifying you or asking for permission to do so.

Say you crack your screen and get a 30$ replacement screen off of Ebay. You can't change it out now because of the newly designed screws they are reinserting into the phones if you send it in for repair.

You will now ALWAYS have to send the phone into Apple for any internal fixings and pay the 200$ fee.

Rediculous

Personally if I get a tablet, it will always be an Android device.

Bad things about the iPAD

Big Ugly Bezle

No Multitasking

No Camera

Closed App Ecosystem - You can only play what's in the apple store for purchase if they allow you to.

No HDMI Out

It's not widescreen its 4:3 screen btw

Adapters Adapter Adapters - You can't just plug something into it. You even need an adapter for USB. :D

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dallas;3826773 said:
I get the giddy w/ tablets, but I would never own an iPad again or any other apple product. Im sick of Apple telling me what I can and can not view on it's devices when surfing the internet.

Oh we don't support Flash..you don't need flash, everyone should only use HTML 5 but let's not call it that anymore, lets just call it HTML.

Another thing...that irks me is that now the iphone users who send their phones in get the screws of it automatically replaced w/ a new screw that doesn't have a driver available for it. They do this w/o notifying you or asking for permission to do so.

Say you crack your screen and get a 30$ replacement screen off of Ebay. You can't change it out now because of the newly designed screws they are reinserting into the phones if you send it in for repair.

You will now ALWAYS have to send the phone into Apple for any internal fixings and pay the 200$ fee.

Rediculous

Personally if I get a tablet, it will always be an Android device.

Big Ugly Bezle

No Multitasking

No Camera

Closed App Ecosystem - You can only play what's in the apple store for purchase if they allow you to.

No HDMI Out

It's not widescreen its 4:3 screen btw

Adapters Adapter Adapters - You can't just plug something into it. You even need an adapter for USB. :D

wow that makes it sound terrible.

any thoughts on it being able to play the large HD file like in my first post?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theebs;3826778 said:
wow that makes it sound terrible.

any thoughts on it being able to play the large HD file like in my first post?

I think it will play your HD contend just fine (no Hulu and im not sure Netflix has its movie app avail in the Apple store yet). It won't be as spectacular as to what your desktop is giving you but for quick and easy access I think it would be fine, as long as you know the limits of the device.

You will have to get numerous adapters. The accessibilty of outside sources for the ipad are EXTREMELY limited. We have some at my office we support. They are cool and cute and provide easy access to the internet and email w/ limitations.

If the limitation I listed are a concern, I would do what theo and some others said and just wait until the 2nd gen comes available.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dallas;3826788 said:
I think it will play your HD contend just fine (no Hulu and im not sure Netflix has its movie app avail in the Apple store yet). It won't be as spectacular as to what your desktop is giving you but for quick and easy access I think it would be fine, as long as you know the limits of the device.

You will have to get numerous adapters. The accessibilty of outside sources for the ipad are EXTREMELY limited. We have some at my office we support. They are cool and cute and provide easy access to the internet and email w/ limitations.

If the limitation I listed are a concern, I would do what theo and some others said and just wait until the 2nd gen comes available.

Thanks.

I paid the same amount as a 16 b ipad for my wifes netbook last year. The thing is great. I watch those HD files on it all the time with no problems.

I just want something a little bit smaller to fit on my desk and listen to some music etc...while I am working....

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Wait for the next galaxy tab with dual processors (And the new android). Plus it's much more portable.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;3826773 said:

Big Ugly Bezle - MATTER OF TASTE

No Multitasking - THE IPAD HAS MULTI-TASKING

No Camera - IPAD 2 WILL HAVE CAMERAS

Closed App Ecosystem - You can only play what's in the apple store for purchase if they allow you to. - OF COURSE IT'S CLOSED BUT IT'S ALSO THE LARGEST APP ECOSYSTEM, SO THAT'S REALLY A NON-STARTER. YOU CAN ALSO JAILBREAK THE DEVICE AND DO MANY OTHER "NON-APPLE" THING.

No HDMI Out - NOT SURE WHY THIS MATTERS. SIMPLY TRANSFER THE FILES IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THEM ON ANOTHER FORMAT.

It's not widescreen its 4:3 screen btw - THIS IS ACTUALLY A POSITIVE. IT'S NOT A PURE VIDEO DEVICE. THE 4:3 RATIO IS IDEAL FOR OTHER THINGS LIKE SURFING THE WEB OR READING.

Adapters Adapter Adapters - You can't just plug something into it. You even need an adapter for USB. :D - AGAIN, NOT SURE WHY THIS MATTERS EITHER. IF YOU NEED TO UPLOAD SOMETHING TO IPAD, YOU CAN DO IT EASILY.
Responses above.

I don't think people really recognize that tablets aren't laptops. They're not laptop replacements. If you want to replace your laptop with a tablet, you're going to be disappointed. They're going to have limited uses. If you want to read books/magazines/newspapers, surf the internet, watch videos, play games -- all in a very portable device -- then a tablet is for you. If you want complete functionality of a laptop or desktop, then don't get one.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Wimbo;3826745 said:
So you can sit in Starbucks and work on your novel.
:laugh2: Or put the campy software for music and be a pretend musician that looks like a 5 year old would use.

arglebargle

Reaction score
theogt;3826833 said:
Responses above.

I don't think people really recognize that tablets aren't laptops. They're not laptop replacements. If you want to replace your laptop with a tablet, you're going to be disappointed. They're going to have limited uses. If you want to read books/magazines/newspapers, surf the internet, watch videos, play games -- all in a very portable device -- then a tablet is for you. If you want complete functionality of a laptop or desktop, then don't get one.

Apple comes up with these brilliant user interfaces, really ground breaking concepts.....and then locks them down into their percieved 'What You Need' set up. That setup, of course, gives them total control and beaucoup bucks.

iPhone, iPpad, iTtunes, even as far back as the mouse, they have developed these cool things. But aside from the mouse, I am not interested in dancing to their (i)tune. (Oh, and they fought for the one button mouse for years. Can't be good if it's not their innovation! Except that the mouse was really from Sun Systems...)

I do applaud them for pushing the envelope. I have wanted a touchscreen pad computer device for years. They've developed a commerically successful one. Once a couple of years have passed someone else will finally build one that fits what I want. It probably won't be Apple.

Really though, theebs should wait and see what the iPad 2 brings to the table. Likely to be much better, better for his intended use, and still not likely to sell to me....:)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Wimbo;3826745 said:
So you can sit in Starbucks and work on your novel.

On an iPad and a virtual keyboard? I think not.

The iPad is a media consumer, not a media creator.