Thinking about an Ipad... need some info

Jenky

Reaction score
theogt;3828343 said:
????

The iPhone eclipses any Android phone in sales.

Actually, iPad sales grown every quarter since its release.

iPad sales for the 3 months ended:

June 26, 2010 - 3.3 million
September 25, 2010 - ~4 million
December 25, 2010 - 7.3 million

He's not talking about a single phone to phone comparison. Look at his link.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jenky;3828353 said:
He's not talking about a single phone to phone comparison. Look at his link.
Yeah, I get that. The "????" was a bit of sarcasm. It's ridiculous to compare operating system to operating system, because Apple doesn't give their operating system away for free.

If Apple gave its OS away to other phone makers, it would absolutely crush Android.

Jenky

Reaction score
theebs;3828279 said:
for me personally I fully understand it is not a laptop or netbook.

I just am interested because it is small enough to put on my desk and not be in my way and still do the things I want it to do. I just dont know if it can!!

I'd wait for one of these from ASUS:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/asus-eee-pad-transformer-and-slider-another-look/

ASUS_EeePadSlider_2_610x417.jpg

Jenky

Reaction score
theogt;3828354 said:
Yeah, I get that. The "????" was a bit of sarcasm. It's ridiculous to compare operating system to operating system, because Apple doesn't give their operating system away for free.

If Apple gave its OS away to other phone makers, it would absolutely crush Android.

Maybe, maybe not. Linux is free and open source. Does it crush Windows?

And yes Apple made a big mistake by only partnering with AT&T -- at first. If they had made their phones available to all carriers, Android would probably be non-existent.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jenky;3828371 said:
Maybe, maybe not. Linux is free and open source. Does it crush Windows?

And yes Apple made a big mistake by only partnering with AT&T -- at first. If they had made their phones available to all carriers, Android would probably be non-existent.
Yeah, HUUUUUUGE mistake.

screen-shot-2010-09-21-at-2-02-49-pm-277x400.png

Jenky

Reaction score
theogt;3828469 said:
Yeah, HUUUUUUGE mistake.

1) I can make a pie graph too.

2) Show me the statistics to now. Do you know how many Galaxy S phones, HTC phones, Motorola phones, LG phones have been released? It keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and lolol.

Jenky

Reaction score
Jenky;3828490 said:
1) I can make a pie graph too.

2) Show me the statistics to now. Do you know how many Galaxy S phones, HTC phones, Motorola phones, LG phones have been released? It keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and lolol.

As a matter of fact.

http://img40.*************/img40/1646/lolpiep.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jenky;3828490 said:
What do "profit share" mean?

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3828343 said:
????

The iPhone eclipses any Android phone in sales.

Actually, iPad sales have grown every quarter since its release.

iPad sales for the 3 months ended:

June 26, 2010 - 3.3 million
September 25, 2010 - ~4 million
December 25, 2010 - 7.3 million

They'll get another boost in April with the release of iPad 2. Not only will they get a boost from sales of the new version, but with the iPad 1 going down in price, a new market will open up for sales.

That's the marketing spike I'm talking about. Sales are going down as we speak.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Not sure how this turned into an Apple hate-fest...

But since we got our iPad on x-mas day it has been in near constant use by my wife or I or one of our 3 kids.

I don't think of it as a mobile productivity platform, I think of it as a mobile entertainer platform. And it excels at this.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Jenky;3828630 said:
I don't know.. what do "proprietary" and "price gouging" mean? :confused:

You do realize it;s the developers who set the prices of their apps right?

So that $.99 app that is digging so deep into your pocket wasn't Apple's decision, it was the developer's.

And do you really think any single developer could have gotten their apps out to such a wide audience on their own? Ask the people who developed angry birds how they feel about Apple and their practices. I imagine they are pretty happy right about now.

As far as proprietary, do you complain about the PS3 or the Wii or the Xbox 360 being proprietary? Anyone who develops on these platforms has to adhere to a set of guidelines and APIs as well...

Bottom line: if you don't like the iPad, don't buy one. But don't try to crap all over it with nonsensical arguments.

Jenky

Reaction score
Meat-O-Rama;3828690 said:
You do realize it;s the developers who set the prices of their apps right?

So that $.99 app that is digging so deep into your pocket wasn't Apple's decision, it was the developer's.

And do you really think any single developer could have gotten their apps out to such a wide audience on their own? Ask the people who developed angry birds how they feel about Apple and their practices. I imagine they are pretty happy right about now.

As far as proprietary, do you complain about the PS3 or the Wii or the Xbox 360 being proprietary? Anyone who develops on these platforms has to adhere to a set of guidelines and APIs as well...

Bottom line: if you don't like the iPad, don't buy one. But don't try to crap all over it with nonsensical arguments.

I could care less about the developers and the apps they release. That's a completely separate issue which no one in thread has brought up.

I don't own ps3, wii, or xbox. And I won't buy the iPad until it completely dominates every tablet for its price range.

Point I'm trying to make: You can go along with Apple, buy an iPad, and be happy as a mainstream consumer. But there are other players joining the table, who may or may not release products that are suitable for your needs.

I would personally find this more useful for myself, but that's just me.

ASUS_EeePadSlider_2_610x417.jpg

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I have to agree with meat o rama. I bought an ipad about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. Its a fantastic idea. Get over the hardcore computing aspect of it. Use your desktop or laptop for that.

An ipad is great to leave on the coffee table and just pick it up and surf the net on a whim. Plus it keeps tremendous hours off my laptop because I just don't use it as much. That in itself will make my laptop last years longer than it would normally.

Anyone who complains about an ipad, simply doesn't have one, and they don't know what they're missing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3828469 said:
Yeah, HUUUUUUGE mistake.

Nice pie chart from a Apple fanboy site. I'm guessing they didn't tell you that the data includes Apple products that aren't iPhones? (iPad, iTouch, and iPods)

chicago JK

Reaction score
I was trying to hold off for the second Ipad, but couldn't wait any longer and got one for Christmas. My parents also got one for Christmas and they are now discarding their PC as it hasn't been used since they got their Ipad.

BTW, Flipboard is a great app to read and get information. Fun app. Free too. Pulse is fun too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3828889 said:
Nice pie chart from a Apple fanboy site. I'm guessing they didn't tell you that the data includes Apple products that aren't iPhones? (iPad, iTouch, and iPods)
No, the first chart only includes iPhones. In the first 6 months of 2010 they sold about 17 million iPhones according to their SEC filings. If you include iPods, the figures double, but the market share in the first chart wouldn't be affected much due to the size of the competitors' numbers.

As for the second chart, that's based on estimated calculations from market analysts, not Apple. I have no way of knowing what is included. But that means you don't know either, so let's not pretend to.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
CowboyWay;3828886 said:
I have to agree with meat o rama. I bought an ipad about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. Its a fantastic idea. Get over the hardcore computing aspect of it. Use your desktop or laptop for that.

An ipad is great to leave on the coffee table and just pick it up and surf the net on a whim. Plus it keeps tremendous hours off my laptop because I just don't use it as much. That in itself will make my laptop last years longer than it would normally.

Anyone who complains about an ipad, simply doesn't have one, and they don't know what they're missing.

chicago JK;3828896 said:
I was trying to hold off for the second Ipad, but couldn't wait any longer and got one for Christmas. My parents also got one for Christmas and they are now discarding their PC as it hasn't been used since they got their Ipad.

BTW, Flipboard is a great app to read and get information. Fun app. Free too. Pulse is fun too.

thanks guys. That is all I will really do with it. Leave it on my desk grab it and check the zone, twitter and stream some sports radio stations and like I said I like to watch old cowboys games and listen to the radio broadcasts alot!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3828941 said:
No, the first chart only includes iPhones. In the first 6 months of 2010 they sold about 17 million iPhones according to their SEC filings. If you include iPods, the sales figures double.

As for the second chart, that's based on estimated calculations from market analysts, not Apple.

iPhone sold 16.2 million iPhone, not 17 million.

That said, Android is now king of the hill as it toppled Symbian as the top selling smartphone in the 4th quarter of 2010.
  1. Android: 33.2 million (market share grew to 32.9% up 8.7%)
  2. Symnian: 31 million (market share dropped to 30.6% from 44.1%)
  3. Apple: 16.2 million (market share dropped to 16% from 16.2%)
  4. RIM: 14.6 million (market share dropped to 14.4% from 20%)
  5. Microsoft: Not enough to even register

As the article says, Android is going to basically consume the entire market and all that will be left are niche phones. (like Mac computers) As this happens, Apple will either A. increase the price of the phones to even HIGHER margins to keep their stock price up or B. cut margins to sell quantity. (We've already seen Apple lower the quality of their phones to keep margins high)

Steve Jobs sees the writing on the wall, their stock only has one direction it can go from here. He probably isn't sick now. He is probably just getting out while on top rather than being at the reins when Apple's stock price topples! :laugh2:

At some point, he will no-longer be able to "understate" Apples sales before releasing the *real* numbers to get stock prices to jump.

SELL, SELL, SELL! :laugh2: