Thinking about an Ipad... need some info

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3826833 said:
Responses above.

I don't think people really recognize that tablets aren't laptops. They're not laptop replacements. If you want to replace your laptop with a tablet, you're going to be disappointed. They're going to have limited uses. If you want to read books/magazines/newspapers, surf the internet, watch videos, play games -- all in a very portable device -- then a tablet is for you. If you want complete functionality of a laptop or desktop, then don't get one.

Just because Steve Jobs says it's multi-tasking, it isn't. It's fake multi-tasking, but whatever.

btw, I agree about not HDMI out. Why in hell would a portable device need HDMI out? Is there a portable HDTV out there? :confused:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
arglebargle;3827187 said:
Apple comes up with these brilliant user interfaces, really ground breaking concepts.....and then locks them down into their percieved 'What You Need' set up. That setup, of course, gives them total control and beaucoup bucks.

iPhone, iPpad, iTtunes, even as far back as the mouse, they have developed these cool things. But aside from the mouse, I am not interested in dancing to their (i)tune. (Oh, and they fought for the one button mouse for years. Can't be good if it's not their innovation! Except that the mouse was really from Sun Systems...)

I do applaud them for pushing the envelope. I have wanted a touchscreen pad computer device for years. They've developed a commerically successful one. Once a couple of years have passed someone else will finally build one that fits what I want. It probably won't be Apple.

Really though, theebs should wait and see what the iPad 2 brings to the table. Likely to be much better, better for his intended use, and still not likely to sell to me....:)
I have no problem with a closed ecosystem as long as (i) the products within that sytem are innovative and (ii) the purpose is to ensure that the sytem works and works well.

I would never use an Apple product as a personal computer. A closed ecosystem doesn't work in that arena because customization is key. However, with a phone or a tablet, I'm not looking to tweak every aspect.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3827207 said:
Just because Steve Jobs says it's multi-tasking, it isn't. It's fake multi-tasking, but whatever.

btw, I agree about not HDMI out. Why in hell would a portable device need HDMI out? Is there a portable HDTV out there? :confused:
Can it run two programs at once?

Yes?

That's multi-tasking. On a phone or a tablet, you don't need full on multi-tasking. Hell, I don't even use the current version of multi-tasking on the iPhone or iPad and I use them both daily.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I had this debate with myself.

I played it safe and went with a laptop.

I gotta have flash player. I do like my iphone for cruising the zone even though the auto spell check drives me nuts sometimes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3827210 said:
Can it run two programs at once?

Yes?

That's multi-tasking. On a phone or a tablet, you don't need full on multi-tasking.

Say what you want, but apps are limited because it isn't true multi-tasking. Steve Jobs basically decided what is and isn't acceptable and specifically allowed it while ignoring anything that it doesn't want.

I'm not here to argue the fact, I'm just here to clarify. It *isn't* true multi-tasking. Steve would NEVER allow such a thing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3827216 said:
Say what you want, but apps are limited because it isn't true multi-tasking. Steve Jobs basically decided what is and isn't acceptable and specifically allowed it while ignoring anything that it doesn't want.

I'm not here to argue the fact, I'm just here to clarify. It *isn't* true multi-tasking. Steve would NEVER allow such a thing.
"Say what you want, but I decide what is and isn't multi-tasking by placing the word 'true' in front of my definition."

Of course Apple decides what its products can and can't do. Just like every other company and their products.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3827223 said:
"Say what you want, but I decide what is and isn't multi-tasking by placing the word 'true' in front of my definition."

Of course Apple decides what its products can and can't do. Just like every other company and their products.

Meet Google's Nexus phones.

arglebargle

Reaction score
theogt;3827208 said:
I have no problem with a closed ecosystem as long as (i) the products within that sytem are innovative and (ii) the purpose is to ensure that the sytem works and works well.

I would never use an Apple product as a personal computer. A closed ecosystem doesn't work in that arena because customization is key. However, with a phone or a tablet, I'm not looking to tweak every aspect.

Funny thing is, the iPhone does a lot of things great: Being a phone is not one of them. My friends with iPhones are always having connection issues. Though that may be the millstone service they are tied to. Also, I had friends who developed for the iPhone, and the 'approval' process was pretty murky and byzantine.

Yeah, I want a 7-12" screen tablet that is a computer, not with a jumped up phone OS. Still, phones are coming out now that have more processing power than some Pentium4s did just a few years ago.

Welcome to the Future!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
arglebargle;3827306 said:
Funny thing is, the iPhone does a lot of things great: Being a phone is not one of them. My friends with iPhones are always having connection issues. Though that may be the millstone service they are tied to. Also, I had friends who developed for the iPhone, and the 'approval' process was pretty murky and byzantine.

Yeah, I want a 7-12" screen tablet that is a computer, not with a jumped up phone OS. Still, phones are coming out now that have more processing power than some Pentium4s did just a few years ago.

Welcome to the Future!
This isn't a thread about iPhones, but mine works great as a phone. If AT&T has poor reception in your area, don't get an iPhone; or get a Verizon version.

The reason tablets shouldn't be full-on computers isn't because of a lack of processing power. It's because a device on which you use primarily just your thumbs shouldn't function exactly like a desktop. It just doesn't make any sense from a UI perspective.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Not to de-rail here...But what does anyone need a full keyboard for on a phone ?

Phones started out big, then got smaller with the same features, stayed small with added stuff...now back to being big again for no reason.

Back to topic,

I don't have anything to add besides telling you to buy one that fits what you expect to use it for. A Notebook PC might be a better option depending.

I personally have zero use for an iPad.

Wimbo

Reaction score
nyc;3827205 said:
On an iPad and a virtual keyboard? I think not.

The iPad is a media consumer, not a media creator.

My post was in jest.

arglebargle

Reaction score
theogt;3827447 said:
This isn't a thread about iPhones, but mine works great as a phone. If AT&T has poor reception in your area, don't get an iPhone; or get a Verizon version.

The reason tablets shouldn't be full-on computers isn't because of a lack of processing power. It's because a device on which you use primarily just your thumbs shouldn't function exactly like a desktop. It just doesn't make any sense from a UI perspective.

Austin metroplex area; and drop outs, late messages, etc are quite common. Bad for an area that is kinda large, and considered an Apple stronghold.

A tablet is great for some things, though it's stronger where the keyboard interface is inadequate. iPads are selling very well to music producers, where it is very cost competitive to similar control devices. The wealth of apps for music production for the iPhone translate very well to the iPad.

I would like the PC equivalent, with enough processing power to act as a scratch pad recorder and VST/DAW interface. A graphics pro friend wants a large tablet, with a super multitouch wacom style screen, to facilitate work on art. There are uses for which the tablet outshines a comparable laptop. And vice versa.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
arglebargle;3827978 said:
Austin metroplex area; and drop outs, late messages, etc are quite common. Bad for an area that is kinda large, and considered an Apple stronghold.

A tablet is great for some things, though it's stronger where the keyboard interface is inadequate. iPads are selling very well to music producers, where it is very cost competitive to similar control devices. The wealth of apps for music production for the iPhone translate very well to the iPad.

I would like the PC equivalent, with enough processing power to act as a scratch pad recorder and VST/DAW interface. A graphics pro friend wants a large tablet, with a super multitouch wacom style screen, to facilitate work on art. There are uses for which the tablet outshines a comparable laptop. And vice versa.

IPAD's sold well initially because of the marketing hype. People are finding out how useless they are. It has it's place, but will never replace a notebook type device. Wait another year or 2 and the price will be around $100.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Anjinsan;3828264 said:
IPAD's sold well initially because of the marketing hype. People are finding out how useless they are. It has it's place, but will never replace a notebook type device. Wait another year or 2 and the price will be around $100.

for me personally I fully understand it is not a laptop or netbook.

I just am interested because it is small enough to put on my desk and not be in my way and still do the things I want it to do. I just dont know if it can!!

Anjinsan

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;3828279 said:

I just am interested because it is small enough to put on my desk and not be in my way and still do the things I want it to do. I just dont know if it can!!

From reading your OP, it seems like it would be a waste of $$ for that capability. You can get a decent laptop that will do all you need for about the same price. Hell, an android smart phone can do it. HTC Evo 4g.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
theebs;3828279 said:

Your best bet is to go to the iPad Support Forum, type HD Streaming into the Search box on the right and read what actual users are saying about it.

This might also answer your question.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;3828210 said:
So much for Apple closing the gap on Android smartphones. ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/canalys-android-overtakes-symbian-as-worlds-best-selling-smart/

I highly doubt the launch of iPhones on Verizon will do much to boost the difference.

Amazing what Android is doing.
????

The iPhone eclipses any Android phone in sales.

Anjinsan;3828264 said:
Actually, iPad sales have grown every quarter since its release.

iPad sales for the 3 months ended:

June 26, 2010 - 3.3 million
September 25, 2010 - ~4 million
December 25, 2010 - 7.3 million

They'll get another boost in April with the release of iPad 2. Not only will they get a boost from sales of the new version, but with the iPad 1 going down in price, a new market will open up for sales.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I know 40 people who have iphones. I know one with an android.