Thinking about an Ipad... need some info

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
So the rumor is now that the iPad 2 in April will be a moderate upgrade (as detailed in the WSJ article) and then a major upgrade with retina display will come in the fall of 2011. That seems like a departure from typical product cycling by Apple, but whatever.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/09/apple-preparing-ipad-3-september/

In a way, this would make sense for Apple to convert their iPad cycle from April to October. It would be a huge boon to holiday sales.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3843299 said:
So the rumor is now that the iPad 2 in April will be a moderate upgrade (as detailed in the WSJ article) and then a major upgrade with retina display will come in the fall of 2011. That seems like a departure from typical product cycling by Apple, but whatever.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/09/apple-preparing-ipad-3-september/

lol. Lets get these Apple fanboys to upgrade $600 devices every six months! ...and they will do it! :lmao2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3843303 said:
lol. Lets get these Apple fanboys to upgrade $600 devices every six months! ...and they will do it! :lmao2:
If you can't afford certain luxury items, don't get them. Some people can. Personally I'm waiting for the retina display, which will be more than worth it.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3843303 said:

You'd be amazed. Some people spend over $3000., religiously on new towers when they come out. I do this for a living and couldn't afford any better than every 5-6 years.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3843314 said:
If you can't afford certain luxury items, don't get them. Some people can. Personally I'm waiting for the retina display, which will be more than worth it.

lol, if I can't? :lmao2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3843321 said:
You'd be amazed. Some people spend over $3000., religiously on new towers when they come out. I do this for a living and couldn't afford any better than every 5-6 years.

I'm aware. Funny thing is, I remember people spending $3.5k on an Alienware or Falcon Northwest gaming systems and I would build a better one for $1,500. Damn fools.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3843341 said:
I bet my the land that my driveway consumes has more value that everything you own combined.
Must be an expensive driveway.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
nyc;3843341 said:
I bet my the land that my driveway consumes has more value that everything you own combined.

I think you just won the award for biggest chris chris jackwagon on this site.

Congrats.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3843340 said:
I'm aware. Funny thing is, I remember people spending $3.5k on an Alienware or Falcon Northwest gaming systems and I would build a better one for $1,500. Damn fools.

That's insanity. That kind of money for games... Alienware has a nasty rep, too.
I looked into buying one and got an earful from many angles of how terrible they are with customer service.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theebs;3843370 said:
I think you just won the award for biggest chris chris jackwagon on this site.

Congrats.

Actually, I've already pmed with Theo explaining that that post was a mistake. :/

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3843371 said:
That's insanity. That kind of money for games... Alienware has a nasty rep, too.
I looked into buying one and got an earful from many angles of how terrible they are with customer service.

Dell owns them now. *cough*

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
nyc;3843471 said:

They have owned them for about 2 years now. The systems have been retooled and come w/ Dell's support/service which is 2nd to none, at least Gold support is.

I wish Dell would have continued w/ the XPS line of gaming systems for themselves than going out and buying Alienware.

The Alienware PC's are just stupid looking. Yeah I want to spend my $3000 on a new PC w/ great hardware but looks like a fishtank. No thanks!

Im not 15 anymore. :rolleyes:

BTW: My Warning count is still at 1. I thought these things went away after a few days? Huh...

YOU HAVE 1 warning Dallas because you are a BAD BAD BAD rule breaker and should be buried and put to the stone.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3843471 said:

Is that good or bad? I just considered it for a 3D machine, but that was it. I'm glad I didn't bother.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3843483 said:
Is that good or bad? I just considered it for a 3D machine, but that was it. I'm glad I didn't bother.

Well, it was God awful early on. I have a Guy I work with that recently bought one and thus far he has given it rave reviews. He didn't get a real high end one. He said he spent about $1,200. He said for the money he got a great machine.

Other than that, I haven't seen anyone with one since Ila couple of months after Dell had bought then.

My dad is talking about getting a high end laptop and based o my friends word, I told him to check it out.

Just google for recent reviews before you layout your money.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Interesting how tablets are popping up in more and more companies already.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/technology/21tablet.html
After iPad’s Head Start, Rival Tablets Are Poised to Flood Offices
Sally Ryan for The New York Times
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/miguel_helft/index.html?inline=nyt-per

Published: February 20, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO — The billboards promoting the iPad have a simple message: The tablet is a device for leisure, to be held on one’s lap while lounging on a couch in casual clothes, to watch a film or read a magazine.

Enlarge This Image
[URL="http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/02/21/business/jp-tablet/jp-tablet-articleInline.jpg"] [/URL]
Nir Elias/Reuters

Dr. Nir Cohen showing a patient an X-ray image on an Apple iPad at a hospital near Tel Aviv.

But plenty of businesses have something stodgier in mind. Companies as diverse as General Electric, Wells Fargo, Mercedes-Benz and Medtronic are putting Apple’s iPad to work in their offices. And as a string of devices tailored for the office enters the market — from the likes of Motorola, Research In Motion, Samsung and Hewlett-Packard — tablets are all but certain to flood America’s workplaces.
Ted Schadler, a vice president and principal analyst with Forrester Research, said he expected that tens of millions of tablets would be in use in America’s workplaces by 2015.

“That’s huge growth,” Mr. Schadler said. “It will be the fastest uptake of any device in the enterprise ever. Faster than PCs, faster than laptops and faster than smartphones.”

The new tablets are also expected to give the iPad, which has had the market largely to itself, a run for its money. R.I.M., which makes BlackBerry phones, and H.P. have long relationships with corporate technology buyers. For its part, Apple is hoping to stay ahead of competitors with a new version of the iPad, which may be unveiled as soon as next month.

The company, which sold nearly 15 million iPads in the nine months after the release of the device, won’t say how many were bought by businesses. But during a conference call with investors and analysts in January, the company said more than 80 percent of Fortune 100 companies were using or testing the iPad, an increase from 65 percent three months earlier. Among those companies, said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s chief financial officer, are JPMorgan Chase, Sears Holdings and DuPont.

Meanwhile, data from makers of business apps suggest that use in corporations is widespread. The tablet’s road to the workplace has been conventional at times, with technology departments buying them for employees. For example, Life Technologies, a California company that makes products for the biotech industry, has handed out iPads to some 600 executives and salespeople. But the tablets are also walking in through the back door, as employees bring their favorite new tech toy to work and demand access to their corporate e-mail, calendars and other applications.

The trend, which the industry calls “consumerization,” represents a significant shift from the last few decades, when the most advanced technologies were first available in the workplace and eventually migrated into consumer products.
“We can’t tell people not to use this technology at work,” said Brandon Edling, director of workplace technology at NBC Universal. “If we did, they would continue to use it and we would be in the dark about what they do.”
For all its inroads in the workplace, neither the iPad nor any other tablet has displaced the PC, the workhorse of information workers for three decades — at least not yet. But that hasn’t stopped Apple’s perennial rival, Microsoft, from fretting over the tablet’s intrusion into the world of business computing, which it has dominated.

In a series of PowerPoint slides for its marketing partners, Microsoft recently raised questions about the viability of the iPad as a business tool.

“How do you secure your corporate I.P.?,” referring to intellectual property, read the slides, which appeared on ZDNet, a technology news site. “How do you demonstrate compliance to auditors?”

To a large extent the iPad’s entry into the business world was paved by the iPhone. When Apple first released the iPhone, it lacked capabilities to link up securely with corporate e-mail systems. But as executives tried the device, they often preferred it to their BlackBerrys and other smartphones, and soon began demanding support for them.

Apple gradually added capabilities, and the iPhone became standard issue in scores of large businesses.

Companies that waited two or three years to support the iPhone began adopting the iPad just weeks after its release.
“It was a very natural extension to provide support for iPad because it runs on the same operating system,” said John Prusnick, director of information technology innovation and strategy at Hyatt Hotel & Resorts, which is based in Chicago. Mr. Prusnick said that at first Hyatt executives asked to use iPads at work. Then the company began giving them to its salespeople, so they could have easy access to interactive presentations about all the company’s properties when making pitches to business customers.
Now, in some of its hotels, Hyatt is giving iPads to “lobby ambassadors,” who use it to expedite guest checkouts when there are long lines, and who can offer concierge services on the fly.

General Electric has distributed approximately 2,000 iPads internally, and it developed a series of applications both for its employees and for its customers. One app allows employees to approve purchase orders on the go, while another allows utility service personnel to monitor G.E. transformers in the field

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3826645 said:
Whats the point of tablets.

Yeah, more of a toy at this point.

CanadianCowboysFan;3826660 said:
they are displacing laptops and desktops

My wife bought an IPad, she loves it as does CCF jr as he can play a ton of games on it.

They currently lack the functionality to "displace" laptops. Truth is, most people have both or all three. A laptop, a PC/Mac and a IPad.

Anjinsan;3826791 said:
Agreed. To big to carry with you and no physical keyboard.

They have these plug in keyboard or these docking station type keyboard setups. Not practical for mobility.

theogt;3826833 said:
Responses above.

I don't think people really recognize that tablets aren't laptops. They're not laptop replacements. If you want to replace your laptop with a tablet, you're going to be disappointed. They're going to have limited uses. If you want to read books/magazines/newspapers, surf the internet, watch videos, play games -- all in a very portable device -- then a tablet is for you. If you want complete functionality of a laptop or desktop, then don't get one.

Best "complete" answer!!! :)

Now, if you want what you say you are getting from iPad then it has to come like this.

Samsung tablet that slides out to laptop.

[youtube]zHNfyeU0Bno[/youtube]

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;3855057 said:
We'll find out on Wednesday what's in the new iPad and whether it's worth the wait.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/23/apples-holding-an-event-on-march-2nd-well-be-there-live/

It will have a front and rear camera in it and will have a sweet little OS update w/ some subtle changes to the asthetics and hardware. Nothing earth shattering.

Book that...

Oh and we are raising the price 100$ per device AND you will get it in white and maybe pink but not until the Dec 2011.

Can't wait to see that Im correct.