Thinking about an Ipad... need some info

kapolani

Reaction score
Vtwin;3837891 said:
That's the point the koolaid drinker doesn't understand.

When a consumer who knows nothing about smartphones decides they want one they think IPHONE because of the brilliiant marketing.

What is so great about Android?

Your assertion that it's only marketing is ridiculous. I agree that their marketing strategy is good. But, it can't all be chalked up to marketing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3837956 said:
What is so great about Android?

Your assertion that it's only marketing is ridiculous. I agree that their marketing strategy is good. But, it can't all be chalked up to marketing.

You don't know? If that was not a rhetorical question, then you are looking at the smartphone world with tunnel vision. Android has a lot going for it.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3837989 said:
You don't know? If that was not a rhetorical question, then you are looking at the smartphone world with tunnel vision. Android has a lot going for it.

Are you serious?

After all your hooting and hollering about Apple you're going to drop this hypocritical bomb?

Android does have a lot going for it. If the manufacturers wouldn't screw it up by injecting all their crap into it.

If they wouldn't release crap just because they can.

Case in point. The Dell Streak. Rushed to market with an OS not meant for tablets. That thing is a turd that was dead before it arrived on the market. People got suckered into buying that piece of crap.

**edit**

This also brings me back to my point about fragmentation. Who is going to write apps for the Dell Streak? No one is going to support that turn because it isn't worth it. Programmers will code for the money makers. Possibly the Xoom will do great things. I might even pick one up for myself instead of an iPad.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3837997 said:
Are you serious?

After all your hooting and hollering about Apple you're going to drop this hypocritical bomb?

Android does have a lot going for it. If the manufacturers wouldn't screw it up by injecting all their crap into it.

If they wouldn't release crap just because they can.

Case in point. The Dell Streak. Rushed to market with an OS not meant for tablets. That thing is a turd that was dead before it arrived on the market. People got suckered into buying that piece of crap.

**edit**

This also brings me back to my point about fragmentation. Who is going to write apps for the Dell Streak? No one is going to support that turn because it isn't worth it. Programmers will code for the money makers. Possibly the Xoom will do great things. I might even pick one up for myself instead of an iPad.
It's like anything else when you have choices. Select your device carefully. Buying a smartphone from a computer manufacturer that has no experience is probably not a good idea. Though I believe Dallas likes his Streak.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3838010 said:
It's like anything else when you have choices. Select your device carefully. Buying a smartphone from a computer manufacturer that has no experience is probably not a good idea. Though I believe Dallas likes his Streak.

It all comes back to the 'walled garden' approach. Some bemoan the iron fist of Jobs, but he makes sure crap product doesn't go out. They concentrate on a few products versus the many.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3838020 said:
It all comes back to the 'walled garden' approach. Some bemoan the iron fist of Jobs, but he makes sure crap product doesn't go out. They concentrate on a few products versus the many.

Problem is he walls out stuff people want too. Yes, he makes great although limited products. Not to mention, publisher must be extremely pissed with Apple right about now. They are so greedy that they are going to kill their own market.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3838058 said:
They are so greedy that they are going to kill their own market.

You're under estimating a lot of factors here. Apple has been run this way since day one and while it hadn't helped them in the home and business PC market, it hasn't killed them either. It's easy to dismiss people who stick with them as mindless and fan boys, but truth of the matter their products are perfectly self contained and cause the user so much less trouble. They simply work.

My experience is solely with the computer, as I don't have an iPhone or pad, but they've been nothing but consistent in what they're making and what they're good at. They don't rush products out, like many do, they take the time to take what may already exist and do it in their own way and do it right. They function on a model that spans their every product from hardware to software and it performs just what the user wants it to perform.

You're mistaking their model of insuring the product is in line with their business model as greed. As a corporation they're no more greedy than the rest - none of them are altruistic and the bottom line is the bottom line. Love them or hate them, they're not going anywhere. If people want those other things, they'll buy what serves them. If they want something that functions perfectly in it's own strengths, they'll have no problem with any Apple product.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3838058 said:
Problem is he walls out stuff people want too.

People always say that. But, I never really saw/read one good argument stating what is kept from the masses.

Yes, he makes great although limited products. Not to mention, publisher must be extremely pissed with Apple right about now. They are so greedy that they are going to kill their own market.

Doubt that will happen. People will either get on board or move on. It's their choice.

I hack every device I own. I jailbroke from the beginning. Hacked my Sega Dreamcast. Homebrew on the PSP. Xbox etc.

So, the argument about keeping stuff from me falls on deaf ears.

For the majority of users they just need/want a device that works flawlessly. I think that is what appeals to most users about Apple products.

kapolani

Reaction score
vta;3838068 said:
You're under estimating a lot of factors here. Apple has been run this way since day one and while it hadn't helped them in the home and business PC market, it hasn't killed them either. It's easy to dismiss people who stick with them as mindless and fan boys, but truth of the matter their products are perfectly self contained and cause the user so much less trouble. They simply work.

My experience is solely with the computer, as I don't have an iPhone or pad, but they've been nothing but consistent in what they're making and what they're good at. They don't rush products out, like many do, they take the time to take what may already exist and do it in their own way and do it right. They function on a model that spans their every product from hardware to software and it performs just what the user wants it to perform.

You're mistaking their model of insuring the product is in line with their business model as greed. As a corporation they're no more greedy than the rest - none of them are altruistic and the bottom line is the bottom line. Love them or hate them, they're not going anywhere. If people want those other things, they'll buy what serves them. If they want something that functions perfectly in it's own strengths, they'll have no problem with any Apple product.

Some people are good with words.

Me not so much.

This is exactly what I meant to convey.

It's ease of use appeals to many people.

You would think that I guy like me that likes to hack and tinker with everything I own would be an Android fanboy. Truth be told - if my wife hadn't gotten me the iPhone I would have never bought it myself.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3838068 said:

I'm not talking about users, I'm talking about content providers. With Android coming on strong, they like their PCs will become a niche. If you are a niche market and gouging your content providers, they just won't provide content for your product.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3838087 said:
I'm not talking about users, I'm talking about content providers. With Android coming on strong, they like their PCs will become a niche. If you are a niche market and gouging your content providers, they just won't provide content for your product.

With all the money APPL has I wouldn't be surprised if they started providing their own content.

But, the content providers will cave sooner or later. They will realize that they can make gobs of money off the APPL gravy train.

Although I don't think Google is fairing any better considering providers are blocking content from them as well a la Google TV.

Also, I don't know how much longer people can continue using the 'niche' angle considering the inroads Mac is making in the PC world. More people bought macs than any other PC last year I believe.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3838109 said:
With all the money APPL has I wouldn't be surprised if they started providing their own content.

But, the content providers will cave sooner or later. They will realize that they can make gobs of money off the APPL gravy train.

Although I don't think Google is fairing any better considering providers are blocking content from them as well a la Google TV.

Also, I don't know how much longer people can continue using the 'niche' angle considering the inroads Mac is making in the PC world. More people bought macs than any other PC last year I believe.

You really think Apple can make enough content by itself to keep it's users happy? No single company can do that. Besides, it would eat itself to death trying.

As for a niche market, Acer (which I can't believe still even exists) still sells more PCs than Apple. It will have to at minimum double it's output before I will even think of taking the niche tag off.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3838087 said:

That's not the really the case here, like it was in the earlier days with the Mac Computers. The complaint was that there was no software for it, like there was with Windows. At this point, and with the popularity of Apple products people are providing content for Apple products. So much so that Apple feels it can afford to turn some down, if they don't meet their criteria. They're keeping it close and in control so their product is functioning the way they intend it. Their name is not attached to random problems and given negative press.

Another way to really look at the model is from the aspect of an artist, be it movie maker, composer or what have you: he wants that control. The final work is in his name and to his specs. What goes with his name is very calculated piece of work that only fits within his own standards.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
vta;3838138 said:
That's not the really the case here, like it was in the earlier days with the Mac Computers. The complaint was that there was no software for it, like there was with Windows. At this point, and with the popularity of Apple products people are providing content for Apple products. So much so that Apple feels it can afford to turn some down, if they don't meet their criteria. They're keeping it close and in control so their product is functioning the way they intend it. Their name is not attached to random problems and given negative press.

Another way to really look at the model is from the aspect of an artist, be it movie maker, composer or what have you: he wants that control. The final work is in his name and to his specs. What goes with his name is very calculated piece of work that only fits within his own standards.

Steve Jobs just said that computer graphic artists and musicians that use Apple now have to sell their stuff through the App Store even if it was ordered a head of time to be made because they want 30%. :muttley:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
nyc;3838142 said:
Steve Jobs just said that computer graphic artists and musicians that use Apple now have to sell their stuff through the App Store even if it was ordered a head of time to be made because they want 30%. :muttley:

I doubt any pro in either field bothers with the App Store for his needs or will have to.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3838119 said:
You really think Apple can make enough content by itself to keep it's users happy? No single company can do that. Besides, it would eat itself to death trying.

I highly doubt it myself, but with the gobs of money they keep in their coffers (something like 70 billion) they can buy companies if they wanted to.

As for a niche market, Acer (which I can't believe still even exists) still sells more PCs than Apple. It will have to at minimum double it's output before I
will even think of taking the niche tag off.

I'm sure I was off. Now that I think about it it may have been that Macs were the only computers that showed an increase in sales this last calendar year.

I'm starting to see our engineers here with MacBooks. We primarily code for Linux and Windows boxes. Looks like times are a changing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3838223 said:
I highly doubt it myself, but with the gobs of money they keep in their coffers (something like 70 billion) they can buy companies if they wanted to.

I'm sure I was off. Now that I think about it it may have been that Macs were the only computers that showed an increase in sales this last calendar year.

I'm starting to see our engineers here with MacBooks. We primarily code for Linux and Windows boxes. Looks like times are a changing.

Several of our Java programmers also have Macs at home, but they use Ubuntu or Fedora as their development platform. (Idea IntelliJ)