CFZ This 2024 rookie QB is older than Trey Lance and why it matters

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believe it or not, Atlanta’s rookie QB Michael Pennix, Jr is one day older than Trey Lance. Pennix turned 24 on May 8th, and Lance also turned 24 a day later on May 9th. Lance was drafted with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft. Pennix was drafted 8th this year.

Why does that matter? Being “NFL ready” as a young QB usually requires starting at least 24 games to gain a proper amount of big game experience and responsibility. A young QB like Lance (who was drafted at 20 years, 11 months) is usually hampered if they have not had a ton of experience as a starting QB in college.

IMO what has hampered Lance most is his lack of starting QB experience coming into the NFL. He started only 17 games in his college career when drafted- all at N. Dakota State, so he wasn’t exactly playing against top competition every week. Sixteen of those 17 games Lance started were all in one year - the 2019 season when he was a 19 year old sophomore. He only played in one game the year before he was drafted.

Contrast that to a guy like Michael Pennix Jr, who was drafted 8th by Atlanta this year, who goes into his rookie year having started 45 games as a college QB, all with Power Five competition. CJ Stroud, last year’s best rookie QB, was drafted at 21, but had started 25 games at Ohio State against top level competition. This year’s #1 pick Caleb Williams is 22 and has started 33 games against Power 5 competition. We don’t know if all of those guys will turn into great NFL QBs in the long run but the more college experience a QB has the better chance they have for quick success.

Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has yet to show he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB. This summer’s reps in TC and PS games will tell us a lot about his development.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Atlanta’s rookie QB Michael Pennix, Jr is one day older than Trey Lance. Pennix turned 24 on May 8th, and Lance also turned 24 a day later on May 9th. Lance was drafted with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft. Pennix was drafted 8th this year.

Why does that matter? Being “NFL ready” as a young QB usually requires starting at least 24 games to gain a proper amount of big game experience and responsibility. A young QB like Lance (who was drafted at 20 years, 11 months) is usually hampered if they have not had a ton of experience as a starting QB in college.

IMO what has hampered Lance most is his lack of starting QB experience coming into the NFL. He started only 17 games in his college career when drafted- all at N. Dakota State, so he wasn’t exactly playing against top competition every week. Sixteen of those 17 games Lance started were all in one year - the 2019 season when he was a 19 year old sophomore. He only played in one game the year before he was drafted.

Contrast that to a guy like Michael Pennix Jr, who was drafted 8th by Atlanta this year, who goes into his rookie year having started 45 games as a college QB, all with Power Five competition. CJ Stroud, last year’s best rookie QB, was drafted at 21, but had started 25 games at Ohio State against top level competition. This year’s #1 pick Caleb Williams is 22 and has started 33 games against Power 5 competition. We don’t know if all of those guys will turn into great NFL QBs in the long run but the more college experience a QB has the better chance they have for quick success.

Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has yet to show he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB. This summer’s reps in TC and PS games will tell us a lot about his development.
so Atlanta's mistake makes our mistake look better? is that it?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so Atlanta's mistake makes our mistake look better? is that it?
No. The reader’s digest version of the post:
  • NFL rookie QBs are usually in way better position for success if they have had lots of starts in college.
  • Lance had 17 starts. (All vs Group of 5 competition vs Power 5)
  • Pennix had 45 starts (All vs Power 5 competition) Pennix is One day older than Lance.
  • CJ Stroud had 25 starts (All Power 5)
  • Caleb Williams had 33 Power 5 starts

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Since being drafted by SF, Lance has been a victim of circumstances he could not control. Now in completion to be the Cowboys QB2, Lance is focusing on what he can control. He pushes Dak to be better. Promised to be a large part of the preseason game plan, we will finally see what he does best in a Cowboys uniform. I'm hopeful what we see is greatness.

ArtClink

Reaction score

As a Cowboys fan, I didn’t realize we could draft a QB in the 1st round lol.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Well said Bobhaze.

I just wish Dallas controlled his rights for longer.

The risk/reward trade-off is good. If Lance fails, Dallas should continue to invest at the QB position.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Since being drafted by SF, Lance has been a victim of circumstances he could not control. Now in completion to be the Cowboys QB2, Lance is focusing on what he can control. He pushes Dak to be better. Promised to be a large part of the preseason game plan, we will finally see what he does best in a Cowboys uniform. I'm hopeful what we see is greatness.
Trey Lance is not pushing Dak to be better because at this point Lance has shown nothing in the NFL.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Trey Lance is not pushing Dak to be better because at this point Lance has shown nothing in the NFL.
Dak said it himself. You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with Dak.

"I don't like to let other people get more reps than me," Prescott said. "Trey's the person I've got to watch because he's trying to get up there in rep count. It's a testament to him and how he's putting in to this. I've seen him, and he's gotten better. Yeah, he can play. ... As long as he's getting better, I promise you I'm getting better. I encourage it. I hope he pushes me. I hope he makes people think. I know who I'll be and I know who I am and confident in the person and player that I am. I hope he pushes me."

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
This. All of this.

Adreme

Reaction score
Dak says otherwise.
If you honestly are taking his answers seriously on anything then you are truly the most gullible of all. He is going to give the standard copy paste good guy non story answer every single time. That is part of the job. I am just shocked people are buying into it.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Well said Bobhaze.

I just wish Dallas controlled his rights for longer.

The risk/reward trade-off is good. If Lance fails, Dallas should continue to invest at the QB position.
Lance might not have a choice but to sign with the Cowboys next season. If he does not get any regular season playing time this season why would another team pay him big money to go somewhere else. Keep quiet and continue to learn the playbook. Lance has more natural talent then most quarterbacks in the league, maybe get your shot in a few years with the Cowboys no matter if Dak is extended because quarterbacks get hurt.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think Atlanta made a mistake. I think the 49ers who drafted Lance made a mistake. I don’t think a 4th is that big a risk compared to the other two decisions
The Lance trade could end up being good or bad. Right now to me it’s “meh” at best.

If Lance doesn’t turn out to be more than a backup, it’s isn’t a total disaster for a 4th round pick. But if that’s all he’s worth, at his current pay he’s overpaid to be a backup. We will learn a lot this training camp and in ps games. I have serious doubts but I’m still hoping he’s more than he’s shown so far.

Having that 4th rounder this year would have given us an additional chance to get a decent RB in this year’s draft. Everyone that says Lance is our “next starting QB” is just wish-casting. I mean its possible but as it stands now, not likely.

It’s way too early to know if Atlanta made a mistake. I will say they probably know a lot more about Pennix after 45 college starts than the niners knew about Lance with his 17.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Lance might not have a choice but to sign with the Cowboys next season. If he does not get any regular season playing time this season why would another team pay him big money to go somewhere else. Keep quiet and continue to learn the playbook. Lance has more natural talent then most quarterbacks in the league, maybe get your shot in a few years with the Cowboys no matter if Dak is extended because quarterbacks get hurt.
Teams without franchise qb or potential ones could offer him enough with a promise to have a legitimate shot to start. A one year deal (and no franchise tag promise) could potentially make Lance a lot of money the next season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Much depends upon the performance of the backups when called upon. I'm hoping Lance qualifies for a chance to replace Cooper Rush. Of course, Rush might have something to do with if that works out or not. I see nothing wrong with competition deciding what actions to take in that regard. If Lance can't qualify to take a #2 backup spot, maybe some consideration could be given to developing Hohensee in due time. I hope he's as good as McCarthy seems to think he is. It's time to develop a QB to take over if Dak isn't destined to remain a Cowboy in the long run, whoever it may be.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Teams without franchise qb or potential ones could offer him enough with a promise to have a legitimate shot to start. A one year deal (and no franchise tag promise) could potentially make Lance a lot of money the next season.
Possibly. It depends on if the coaches have worked with him before. Maybe Miami next season. I just can’t see a team that will make him more comfortable then Dallas.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Being ready to play in college means you played In High School. He had 55 completions in HS.
Same reason he got no scholarship offers.