CFZ This 2024 rookie QB is older than Trey Lance and why it matters

plasticman

Reaction score
Very unusual for a team like the 49ers to make a desperation move by starting Lance when Garoppolo went down but I suppose they had no choice. What did they expect? They had to know how raw Lance was. Seriously, I don't think he was given a fair shot and it had to mess with his confidence.

It is smart of the Cowboys to reset expectations and give him time to develop and teach his pro skills. He is the main reason I am looking forward to the preseason.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Very unusual for a team like the 49ers to make a desperation move by starting Lance when Garoppolo went down but I suppose they had no choice. What did they expect? They had to know how raw Lance was. Seriously, I don't think he was given a fair shot and it had to mess with his confidence.

It is smart of the Cowboys to reset expectations and give him time to develop and teach his pro skills. He is the main reason I am looking forward to the preseason.
He needs a lot more time than this year.

GMO415

Reaction score
Believe it or not, Atlanta’s rookie QB Michael Pennix, Jr is one day older than Trey Lance. Pennix turned 24 on May 8th, and Lance also turned 24 a day later on May 9th. Lance was drafted with the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft. Pennix was drafted 8th this year.

Why does that matter? Being “NFL ready” as a young QB usually requires starting at least 24 games to gain a proper amount of big game experience and responsibility. A young QB like Lance (who was drafted at 20 years, 11 months) is usually hampered if they have not had a ton of experience as a starting QB in college.

IMO what has hampered Lance most is his lack of starting QB experience coming into the NFL. He started only 17 games in his college career when drafted- all at N. Dakota State, so he wasn’t exactly playing against top competition every week. Sixteen of those 17 games Lance started were all in one year - the 2019 season when he was a 19 year old sophomore. He only played in one game the year before he was drafted.

Contrast that to a guy like Michael Pennix Jr, who was drafted 8th by Atlanta this year, who goes into his rookie year having started 45 games as a college QB, all with Power Five competition. CJ Stroud, last year’s best rookie QB, was drafted at 21, but had started 25 games at Ohio State against top level competition. This year’s #1 pick Caleb Williams is 22 and has started 33 games against Power 5 competition. We don’t know if all of those guys will turn into great NFL QBs in the long run but the more college experience a QB has the better chance they have for quick success.

Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has yet to show he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB. This summer’s reps in TC and PS games will tell us a lot about his development.
BULLET! Speak on it Bruh. 2025 Lance will be the starting QB for DAL and he will excel in the WCO. He will bring DAL to the SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No. The reader’s digest version of the post:
  • NFL rookie QBs are usually in way better position for success if they have had lots of starts in college.
  • Lance had 17 starts. (All vs Group of 5 competition vs Power 5)
  • Pennix had 45 starts (All vs Power 5 competition) Pennix is One day older than Lance.
  • CJ Stroud had 25 starts (All Power 5)
  • Caleb Williams had 33 Power 5 starts
Makes me wonder how in the heck then could Lance be drafted so high?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What are you basing that on? I’m not completely averse to moving on from Dak but what has Lance done to take Dak’s job? So far nothing. So are you hoping or predicting?
Both hoping and predicting.

The QB1 transitions are always chaotic.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

JimmyG didn’t get hurt.

He took over after Lance broke his leg in game 2.

Niners paid JimmyG $6 million to be Lances backup.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
  • NFL rookie QBs are usually in way better position for success if they have had lots of starts in college.
  • Pennix had 45 starts (All vs Power 5 competition) Pennix is One day older than Lance.
so lance is less experienced than all of them.

and we hope he is going to turn it around and become the saviour of this franchise? I don't get it.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's crazy to me, in the first place, that the 49ers packaged up and moved up for this kid. I get the raw talent, but to move up for somebody that had 17 starts at N. Dakota state is just crazy to me.

I'm not holding my breath that he will become a starting QB for Dallas, but I do know the clock is ticking for him. Time moves fast, and NFL careers move even faster, so he better get to work.

Verdict

Reaction score
What are you basing that on? I’m not completely averse to moving on from Dak but what has Lance done to take Dak’s job? So far nothing. So are you hoping or predicting?
Right now, we have no idea what Lance is or isn’t about, but that doesn’t mean that the COWBOYS have no idea who he is or isn’t.

We don’t have recent game film on him, but the Cowboys get to see him play in practice. We do know he had some tools when he was drafted or he wouldn’t have been drafted as highly as he was.

Is he doing Romo or Dak things in practice? We don’t know. But if Lance is stinking it up I doubt he remains on the roster as the #2 QB this year. So there is an indication one way or another what the team thinks he might become.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's crazy to me, in the first place, that the 49ers packaged up and moved up for this kid. I get the raw talent, but to move up for somebody that had 17 starts at N. Dakota state is just crazy to me.

I'm not holding my breath that he will become a starting QB for Dallas, but I do know the clock is ticking for him. Time moves fast, and NFL careers move even faster, so he better get to work.
Yeah, it is amazing that the niners not only picked Lance third in round one in the 2021 draft, they gave up a ton to move up in round one to get him. He was not even 21 years old yet.

Lance has lots of raw skills - arm strength, size, mobility. But his college sample size was way below what most teams are willing to risk huge draft capital for.

This really exemplifies how desperate most NFL teams are to acquire QB talent. Even the third pick in the first round does not guarantee you have selected a future star QB. The book is not closed on Trey Lance yet. He will have lots of opportunities in TC and pre-season games to show us something. Should be an interesting summer.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
BH, I heard Caleb Williams has had a horrible OTAs camp so far. Caleb Williams was the overall #1 draft pick taken in this year's draft. Seems to me some college QBs are simply overrated (no matter how much college game experience they have)...

“Really rough day for Caleb Williams and the starting offense. A lot of incomplete passes and near interceptions.

In the 7-on-7 period, Williams completed just three passes. Jaylon Johnson nearly had an interception over the middle of the field.

In the team period, most of the passes were completed to the flat, and Williams held onto the ball for a long time.” -Nicholas Moreano

https://share.newsbreak.com/70vkj46f

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BH, I heard Caleb Williams has had a horrible OTAs camp so far. Caleb Williams was the overall #1 draft pick taken in this year's draft. Seems to me some college QBs are simply overrated (no matter how much college game experience they have)...

“Really rough day for Caleb Williams and the starting offense. A lot of incomplete passes and near interceptions.

In the 7-on-7 period, Williams completed just three passes. Jaylon Johnson nearly had an interception over the middle of the field.

In the team period, most of the passes were completed to the flat, and Williams held onto the ball for a long time.” -Nicholas Moreano

https://share.newsbreak.com/70vkj46f
Personally I wouldn’t put a lot stock in what happens in OTAs. Just like I wouldn’t put much stock in some UFA “looking great” in shorts and a t-shirt in OTAs. You never know what a team is actually working on.

When the pads are on and CW is facing real football situations, we will know a lot more.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he is a top 3 pick. you go top 3, you must have some talent and that talent has to over come certain shortcomings. the fact that he totally welted, says, he is not so talented.

and NFL is not about fairness. its about investing to win. top 3 pick. traded so much to get you. you give me 50% completion rate. totally confused. out of your elements in every which way.

yeah, not so good for lance.

and how do we reset expectations? lower them? because we spent a 4th round pick on him? he has been in the league 3 years. couldn't get on the field. now 4th year. how much time?

and that's how we get here. people find a favorite and come up with all kinds of excuses and scenarios. and people pick who they don't like and just pound at them every which way.
seems like you picked your favorite.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
he is a top 3 pick. you go top 3, you must have some talent and that talent has to over come certain shortcomings. the fact that he totally welted, says, he is not so talented.

and NFL is not about fairness. its about investing to win. top 3 pick. traded so much to get you. you give me 50% completion rate. totally confused. out of your elements in every which way.

yeah, not so good for lance.

and how do we reset expectations? lower them? because we spent a 4th round pick on him? he has been in the league 3 years. couldn't get on the field. now 4th year. how much time?

and that's how we get here. people find a favorite and come up with all kinds of excuses and scenarios. and people pick who they don't like and just pound at them every which way.
seems like you picked your favorite.
Exactly!

Yet, Dak as a rookie who was 3rd string during his rookie training camp, was getting only 3rd team limited reps was suddenly thrust into the starting role due to preseason injuries to both Tony Romo and Kellen Moore. Dak lit it up like a seasoned pro, led the team to a 13 - 3 record, a franchise record 11 game win streak and has lit it up for the past 8 years since and at the point of breaking every Dallas Cowboys QB passing record. Yet, many posters with their own agendas prefer a clueless bust in Trey Lance over a top 5 overall and proven veteran QB in Dak who just came off accomplishing an All Pro season and leading all passers in 2023.