CFZ This 2024 rookie QB is older than Trey Lance and why it matters

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eventually, some members must stop drawing so heavily from the anointing oil well. It will go bone dry before the next guy is eligible for it after Trey Lance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait DE…are you tapping the brakes on fitting Cooper Bebee for his gold jacket? :laugh:
I will quote the guy from the Geico cemetery commercial... "Are you crazy?" :laugh: Beebe mother's womb was coated in anointing oil. He was predestined for the Hall before birth. :p

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure, but many of the big brains have already declared that Trey Lance is the worst QB they've never seen play!

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Exactly!

Yet, Dak as a rookie who was 3rd string during his rookie training camp, was getting only 3rd team limited reps was suddenly thrust into the starting role due to preseason injuries to both Tony Romo and Kellen Moore. Dak lit it up like a seasoned pro, led the team to a 13 - 3 record, a franchise record 11 game win streak and has lit it up for the past 8 years since and at the point of breaking every Dallas Cowboys QB passing record. Yet, many posters with their own agendas prefer a clueless bust in Trey Lance over a top 5 overall and proven veteran QB in Dak who just came off accomplishing an All Pro season and leading all passers in 2023.
The only agenda is winning Championships. Dak has proven over and over and over again, he is not that guy. You can like all the pretty stats you want, but at the end of the day, the Cowboys aren't contenders due to one reason, the QB. I have no idea if Lance will be anything or not, but it is clear that Dak isn't so let's try something different until we find the guy that is 'that guy'. I expect this team will again win between 11-13 games this year. I think we win the NFC East. I think we will be a top two seed in the conference and I know we will be home when the NFC Championship game is being played because that is who Dak is. Our only hope is that the D becomes so dominant that the other teams in the playoffs can't score and our OL becomes so dominant that we can completley take the ball out his hands, and the chance of those two things happening is .0000000001% percent.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes but those are usually highly touted from Div 1.

How the heck did this guy from Div 2 with only 17 games played , most in his sophomore season get so highly touted?
GM's are falling in love with the Kaepernicks of the world for some odd reason.

Adreme

Reaction score
Both hoping and predicting.

The QB1 transitions are always chaotic.
They are rarely chaotic. It generally only is when the team is knowingly downgrading at QB like what the Patriots did.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes but those are usually highly touted from Div 1.

How the heck did this guy from Div 2 with only 17 games played , most in his sophomore season get so highly touted?
His raw talent. Size, arm strength and mobility were all excellent. He’s 6’4” 225. His college head coach indicated some were surprised how much attention he grabbed pre-draft.

Here’s his NFL.com draft profile for details of what he was projected to be.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-lance/32004c41-4e01-6787-f7d5-ee3cea053121

Interesting that his 6.46 prospect rating had him as a “boom or bust” type player.

Adreme

Reaction score
Sure, but many of the big brains have already declared that Trey Lance is the worst QB they've never seen play!
Darn those pesky people using both numbers and their eyes to judge a player.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Hmm......not 1 college offered him a scholarship.

Maybe they should have without watching him play.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m neither touting Lance as “our future” nor ripping him as a bust yet. He’s clearly been one of the most mysterious 1st round QB picks of the last decade. Anyone saying he’s the future here is simply not paying close attention to what this guy is.

His raw talent is definitely there. 6’4” 225, strong arm, mobile in the pocket. But it is very telling that coming out of HS, the only D-1 school interested in him was U of Minn who wanted to make him a safety. His 17 starts at FCS school N Dakota State did not season him enough at 20 to be an NFLstarter.

I am willing to withhold final judgment on what he is or isn’t until he’s had some real reps in pads. But even in ps games, he’s going to be playing against guys who will mostly be backups or have no future in the NFL. In other words, he has a lot of proving to do.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Exactly!

Yet, Dak as a rookie who was 3rd string during his rookie training camp, was getting only 3rd team limited reps was suddenly thrust into the starting role due to preseason injuries to both Tony Romo and Kellen Moore. Dak lit it up like a seasoned pro, led the team to a 13 - 3 record, a franchise record 11 game win streak and has lit it up for the past 8 years since and at the point of breaking every Dallas Cowboys QB passing record. Yet, many posters with their own agendas prefer a clueless bust in Trey Lance over a top 5 overall and proven veteran QB in Dak who just came off accomplishing an All Pro season and leading all passers in 2023.
Zeke led that team to 13-3. Dak barely averaged over 200ypg passing. He didn't make many mistakes though which is really what you should be expecting from a rookie QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m neither touting Lance as “our future” nor ripping him as a bust yet. He’s clearly been one of the most mysterious 1st round QB picks of the last decade. Anyone saying he’s the future here is simply not paying close attention to what this guy is.

His raw talent is definitely there. 6’4” 225, strong arm, mobile in the pocket. But it is very telling that coming out of HS, the only D-1 school interested in him was U of Minn who wanted to make him a safety. His 17 starts at FCS school N Dakota State did not season him enough at 20 to be an NFLstarter.

I am willing to withhold final judgment on what he is or isn’t until he’s had some real reps in pads. But even in ps games, he’s going to be playing against guys who will mostly be backups or have no future in the NFL. In other words, he has a lot of proving to do.
He will not prove much in preseason. He has to prove it camp against our defense.

One of Shanahan's last answers to a media questions sums it up and I don't understand why fans don't get it.

The question was why on 4th down at the end of the game did you kick the FG(preseason game)? Why did you not give Trance an opportunity to prove himself?

Shanahan said we get to see him everyday at practice. We know what he is capable of doing and have seen enough.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His raw talent. Size, arm strength and mobility were all excellent. He’s 6’4” 225. His college head coach indicated some were surprised how much attention he grabbed pre-draft.

Here’s his NFL.com draft profile for details of what he was projected to be.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/trey-lance/32004c41-4e01-6787-f7d5-ee3cea053121

Interesting that his 6.46 prospect rating had him as a “boom or bust” type player.
Here’s what stood out to me in that analysis . Which should have provided reason to pause.

Sources Tell Us​

"He hasnât played much football so heâs not where (Carson) Wentz was when he was coming out (of NDSU), but heâs talented and very smart. He needs an offense tailored to what he does best and you have to be really patient with him." -- Personnel executive for AFC team

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Interesting. Maybe we should try him at safety.

Most likely 49ers saw the writing on the wall and why they dumped on us. They have a star studded offense and probably how a talent like Purdy has excelled.

Lance only had to be better than the last pick in the draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Here’s what stood out to me in that analysis . Which should have provided reason to pause.

Sources Tell Us​

"He hasnât played much football so heâs not where (Carson) Wentz was when he was coming out (of NDSU), but heâs talented and very smart. He needs an offense tailored to what he does best and you have to be really patient with him." -- Personnel executive for AFC team
Measurables don't make a QB. Intangibles make a QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
BH, I heard Caleb Williams has had a horrible OTAs camp so far. Caleb Williams was the overall #1 draft pick taken in this year's draft. Seems to me some college QBs are simply overrated (no matter how much college game experience they have)...

“Really rough day for Caleb Williams and the starting offense. A lot of incomplete passes and near interceptions.

In the 7-on-7 period, Williams completed just three passes. Jaylon Johnson nearly had an interception over the middle of the field.

In the team period, most of the passes were completed to the flat, and Williams held onto the ball for a long time.” -Nicholas Moreano

https://share.newsbreak.com/70vkj46f
NFL teams are so desperate to find their next Franchise QB they often reach at QB.

Couple that in with highly drafted QB’s going mostly to crap teams rebuilding it all too often translates to bust.

Sometimes one of these get a second chance on a better team like Steve Young and Jim Plunkett for example.

SF probably has a more star studded offense than ours. If Lance couldn’t beat out Purdy, the last pick in the draft , he might not be able to beat out Cooper much less Dak.

Most likely this apparent insurance move we made cost our RB in 4th round this year. But I saw one Combine analysis about transforming Lance into a Safety.