CFZ This 2024 rookie QB is older than Trey Lance and why it matters

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kellen Moore had a lot of college experience. Probably high school also. He was like 48-2 or 49-1 at Boise State. A record for the NCAA at that time.
Where is he now? :muttley:

Trey does not have much experience, but he has so much more potential from what little we know at this point.
Yes, not a good analogy. But it is based on experience vs. limited experience only.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
so Atlanta's mistake makes our mistake look better? is that it?
Way too early to proclaim they made a mistake. It’s not a pick most would have made but until he plays the jury is out. He could end up being a great QB or a bust.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Trey Lance is not pushing Dak to be better because at this point Lance has shown nothing in the NFL.
You don’t know that because you’re not out there with them. Just more negativity from you is all.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Because you know why he was traded. Ok.
The HC said they didn’t give Lance the chance and the injuries set him back. They said they traded him because he needed more time to develop and they wanted to see him succeed. He wasn’t going to get any playing time there with Purdy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kellen Moore had a lot of college experience. Probably high school also. He was like 48-2 or 49-1 at Boise State. A record for the NCAA at that time.

Trey does not have much experience, but he has so much more potential from what little we know at this point.
Yes, not a good analogy. But it is based on experience vs. limited experience only.
That’s a good point Jazz.

But the difference is Kellen Moore was 5’10 and had a below average arm. His draw was his football IQ was off the charts and he had a ton of experience. But there’s no experience that can make a QB bigger and grow a rocket arm.

Lance has the raw tools. But he has yet to prove he can use them successfully in the NFL. I’ll never forget the draft profile on former #1 draft pick JaMarcus Russell. Had a rocket arm- Could throw the ball 50 yards on his knees. (When is that ever needed, lol?) And he was huge. But he wa lazy and never committed to learn the NFL game.

Lance will get his chance. I’m a poet and didn’t know it!

conner01

Reaction score
The Lance trade could end up being good or bad. Right now to me it’s “meh” at best.

If Lance doesn’t turn out to be more than a backup, it’s isn’t a total disaster for a 4th round pick. But if that’s all he’s worth, at his current pay he’s overpaid to be a backup. We will learn a lot this training camp and in ps games. I have serious doubts but I’m still hoping he’s more than he’s shown so far.

Having that 4th rounder this year would have given us an additional chance to get a decent RB in this year’s draft. Everyone that says Lance is our “next starting QB” is just wish-casting. I mean its possible but as it stands now, not likely.

It’s way too early to know if Atlanta made a mistake. I will say they probably know a lot more about Pennix after 45 college starts than the niners knew about Lance with his 17.
He won’t be paid that much if he’s a backup. To keep his rights they had to pay it but he’s a FA and if he sux in camp he’s not gonna get many offers next year. A forth for a project isn’t bad but some act like we gave a first for the guy that the 49ers gave 3 first for

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Way too early to proclaim they made a mistake. It’s not a pick most would have made but until he plays the jury is out. He could end up being a great QB or a bust.
well that was in response to comparing Lance to Pennix and he is 25, etc. and got drafted. there was no endorsement of Pennix. and somehow if Atlanta made a mistake, it should make our mistake better?

and if Atlanta succeeds, doesn't guarantee that Lance will succeed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’m not sure Moore is a good comparison. He was undrafted and no lofty expectations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well that was in response to comparing Lance to Pennix and he is 25, etc. and got drafted. there was no endorsement of Pennix. and somehow if Atlanta made a mistake, it should make our mistake better?

At least Pennix was successful in Div I against strong competition. Who did Lance and North Dakota beat?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Neither do the Niners right???
Well the 49ers saw enough to know he couldn’t beat out Purdy. And they knew with his second contract coming up next year they wouldn’t resign him. It was time to dump and run for whatever they could get.

At that point they propped him up as much as they could to attract suckers. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t wait for the Trey Lance era. But at least we can say he’s a high 1st round pick. Thats what we’ve all been waiting for, right. Maybe Jethro is giving us what we want. Cant complain then. Lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

But you called Pennix a mistake and he has yet to take an NFL snap. If he goes bust he’ll be a far bigger mistake for Atlanta than Trey Lance will be for the Cowboys because Pennix cost the Falcons a top 10 pick. Having a 4th round pick not turn won’t set us back. Of course if Pennix succeeds that doesn’t mean Lance will. You aren’t making a lot of sense. Your entire post doesn’t make make much sense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Again…Pennix is 24, exactly one day older than Lance. No one knows if Pennix was a mistake for Atl yet or not. I think he was underrated going into this draft. But no one knows for sure. He could be a mistake or a steal. We will see.

The reason I mentioned Pennix in comparison to Lance is they are almost exactly the same age being born one day apart. Pennix had 45 starts in college playing for two different power 5 schools which is very helpful in preparing for the NFL. Lance had 17 starts at an FCS school. If he had had more time at the college level it’s possible he would have had a better shot.

Time will tell what Lance and Pennix are.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

50-3. Still a record.

He was incredible in the NCAA. He just didn't have the prototypical body for the NFL.