This Board Needs a Reality Check

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I want to see his post saying Murray was the best player on the team from July, 2014 and that he'd set the Boys' rushing record.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the year he had. I do think he was one of the key players on offense and heading into the season was hoping to see Dallas utilize him more than they had. They did and it went a long way in helping a successful season.

For me I'm not concerned about Murray, I am concerned about RB we do have. I'm not going to say they can't be highly productive, only that as of now it is an unknown. I'm not interested as much in the 1 big run as much as I am the consistently within the running game and to be able to control down and distance situation which makes it a lot easier on Romo when defense is unsure of run or pass.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I don't think anyone could have predicted the year he had. I do think he was one of the key players on offense and heading into the season was hoping to see Dallas utilize him more than they had. They did and it went a long way in helping a successful season.

For me I'm not concerned about Murray, I am concerned about RB we do have. I'm not going to say they can't be highly productive, only that as of now it is an unknown. I'm not interested as much in the 1 big run as much as I am the consistently within the running game and to be able to control down and distance situation which makes it a lot easier on Romo when defense is unsure of run or pass.

The thing is most are failing to see is how much the treat of the passing game aided the run. Dez takes a safety out of the box. Witten keeps the other safety and the LBs from crashing the LOS selling out for the run.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The thing is most are failing to see is how much the treat of the passing game aided the run. Dez takes a safety out of the box. Witten keeps the other safety and the LBs from crashing the LOS selling out for the run.

passing game has been there, it was one of the tops in past season but it still produced 8-8 results. I think the run game helped make the passing game a lot more efficient. Defense could not just pin their ears back and come after Romo they had to look run and there were ample times Murray faced 7 and 8 in the box. Dallas went from one of the most pass happy teams to being 2nd to last in passing attempts last season yet were 2nd most rushing attempts in the NFL

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
passing game has been there, it was one of the tops in past season but it still produced 8-8 results. I think the run game helped make the passing game a lot more efficient. Defense could not just pin their ears back and come after Romo they had to look run and there were ample times Murray faced 7 and 8 in the box. Dallas went from one of the most pass happy teams to being 2nd to last in passing attempts last season yet were 2nd most rushing attempts in the NFL

The passing game has been there ever since Romo has. It really hasn't gotten us anything but some fine stats. The running game is what helped the passing game last year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The passing game has been there ever since Romo has. It really hasn't gotten us anything but some fine stats. The running game is what helped the passing game last year.

I agree completely. we went from a team who threw a lot ranking near the top to being a team with the 2nd fewest passing attempts in the NFL. The evidence it right there and clear as can be. No doubt Romo season was outstanding putting up the 2nd most TD passes in his career and fewest ints in a season yet doing it on a lot fewer passes in large part because defense could not just tee off on him they had to deal with the run game

blindzebra

Reaction score

The difference between 8-8 and 12-4 was the defense was protected by TOP. The running game did not improve the passing game it kept a weak defense off the field. A better defense means we can take advantage of the skill players we have and not be forced to grind for yards at the expense of big plays.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The difference between 8-8 and 12-4 was the defense was protected by TOP. The running game did not improve the passing game it kept a weak defense off the field. A better defense means we can take advantage of the skill players we have and not be forced to grind for yards at the expense of big plays.

I disagree. When defense is forced to look run, when defense is facing 2nd and medium it is hard to just tee off on the QB. This franchise has always been at it's best when we can run the ball. I keep hearing the game is different? well we ran a lot more than we threw the ball last year and the result is we won games. We closed games out because we could pound the ball, we went from a poor redzone team into a good redzone team. Run game mattered and it mattered a lot.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep. It's pretty obvious. Don't be a bottom-of-the-league defense, you're not throwing as much late in games, and you're not taking so many chances in the passing game. That's pretty much the recipe for playing more effective as a QB. It's good work if you can get it.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think we screwed the pooch on this, but really as I've stated numerous times we should have signed Dez early, and franchised Demarco.

We wanted him back it was obvious. My bet is they wish they would have done it that way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we screwed the pooch on this, but really as I've stated numerous times we should have signed Dez early, and franchised Demarco.

We wanted him back it was obvious. My bet is they wish they would have done it that way.

I don't think that was a completely unreasonable approach, if they wanted one more year with Demarco, but signing Dez when that WR market hadn't been established wasn't realistic.

I think they got just about what they wanted, overall. They rightly prioritized Dez over Demarco, they added the pass rush they desperately needed, and avoided the big contract on a player whose performance is bound to diminish the next three years. I do think they wish they'd been able to add a runner to the mix somewhere in the draft, but it obviously wasn't too high a priority, or they'd have done something somewhere.

Honestly, I'd bet at this point RB is not even in the top five positional worries for the team heading into cut downs. It's far and away the biggest concern for the fans, obviously, but I think they're pretty happy with the RBs, overall.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think they wish they'd been able to add a runner to the mix somewhere in the draft, but it obviously wasn't too high a priority, or they'd have done something somewhere.

Honestly, I'd bet at this point RB is not even in the top five positional worries for the team heading into cut downs. It's far and away the biggest concern for the fans, obviously, but I think they're pretty happy with the RBs, overall.
I wish more would understand how close to the truth it really is.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The run game will take a step back but if the defense steps up this can be a 10 win team. Maybe 11 if the pass rush and lb core is better than expected

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see how those 400+ carries serve him this year before making any "asinine" statements.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
th

GiveDezdaBall88

Reaction score
For those who say the O-line is mainly responsible for Murrays yardage, then why did he average 5.5 in 2011 when the line was trash

Doomsday101

Reaction score
For those who say the O-line is mainly responsible for Murrays yardage, then why did he average 5.5 in 2011 when the line was trash

I agree, even the top RB to play the game give much credit to their OL none of them did it by themselves. Emmitt played behind one of the great OL in league history yet other RB who would at times play when Emmitt was out did not have the same success. Matter of fact when Emmitt was out of the lineup the Cowboys W/L record was not good.