This board was right on Linehan

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first game yes, not so much vs skins
They started more basic to begin with against the Skins, but got more aggressive along the way. I suspect Moore doesn’t want to show too much if he can help it, and certainly hopes to be unpredictable instead of doing the same thing every week.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest difference I see so far is the Oline is healthy and giving Dak all day and a clean pocket to throw from. He didn't have that last year. Fred's back, Tyranasuarus is healthy and La'il is playing lights out.
This is huge. But they are also throwing vertically much more as well. The past few years the middle of the field just got token attention by the passing game, and now they are attacking the middle.

Batman1980

Reaction score
This is huge. But they are also throwing vertically much more as well. The past few years the middle of the field just got token attention by the passing game, and now they are attacking the middle.

Return of Fredbeard coupled with a Pro Bowl slot receiver can do that for you.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah it's a coincidence Dak magically got better half way through his 4th season when HE said and I quote "it clicked for me" he actually even hinted to being more aggressive due to his confidence. so obviously he was still having some issues. It's a coincidence things turned around when Cooper arrived. It's a coincidence the rookie Gallup who also came on late last season has been talked about by everyone in the organization as wr who worked his butt off in the off-season and has become a legit wr. It's a coincidence that Frederick comes back and the Oline is right back to elite status, it's a coincidence they went 7-1 down stretch last season with your boy Linehan too, also 13-3, Cobb? Nah ain't talent, It ain't executing, by better players, this team has upgraded at every Wr position. Now , did Moore add some cute window dressing to the same stuff they run. brought back the same jet sweep they've been trying to run forever? Sure he did, but game 1 was pretty identical to the game last season,except the defense held them out of the end zone this season. Game 2 pretty much the same as any other games,ran a ton on first down, which has been hated here. I like Moore, but the same here applies if the players don't execute none of it work, and it will happen, and all these same folks will be crying again, actually it already has happened, just look at the game threads in the first quarter. Linehan issue seemed to be his alienation of the players, even he and Garrett had a rift towards the end. 1 other thing it's amazing how these same folks went ballistic when Moore was made the qb coach, I think it was only a few of us who defended him, now these same folks are claiming him the messiah, some of the same folks want him as head coach. He's been good and Dak has a great chemistry with him going back to when they both competed as players. We shouldn't be hearing any crying this year...lol

It’s not just the play calling of similar plays it’s the lack of predictability that’s helping this engine run. We were way too predictable on first down last year. Everyone knew when we were going to run the ball. We have passed a lot more this year and certainly on first down. It’s kept defenses honest.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
It’s not just the play calling of similar plays it’s the lack of predictability that’s helping this engine run. We were way too predictable on first down last year. Everyone knew when we were going to run the ball. We have passed a lot more this year and certainly on first down. It’s kept defenses honest.

Have you paid attention or listened to what anyone says? Dak and Moore: they're taking what the defense is giving them, if they stack to stop the run they throw, perfect example is the Giants game. In the Commanders game they tried to be more balance while also giving Zeke the ball more using play action, which was staple for Dak in 2016. Dak being more mature and developed, along with Cooper, Gallup, and Cobb is huge.

Dre11

Reaction score
They started more basic to begin with against the Skins, but got more aggressive along the way. I suspect Moore doesn’t want to show too much if he can help it, and certainly hopes to be unpredictable instead of doing the same thing every week.

To an extent I agree, but they also got mote aggressive after falling behind early and DRC was out there playing on 1 leg.

Dre11

Reaction score

That's more on Dak being confidence, because they called vertical routes down the middle last season that Dak wouldn't throw until Cooper got here, Dak now is forcing teams to defend the entire field.

Dre11

Reaction score
It takes a change in philosophy too. They didn’t attack the middle like this 2016-2018.

They did, it wasn't being thrown with Dez and Twill and an Dak still growing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To an extent I agree, but they also got mote aggressive after falling behind early and DRC was out there playing on 1 leg.
This goes with what I was saying. They probably didn’t want to show the same things they did the week before, but when they didn’t get off to the start they hoped for they had to adjust.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's more on Dak being confidence, because they called vertical routes down the middle last season that Dak wouldn't throw until Cooper got here, Dak now is forcing teams to defend the entire field.
It’s hard to identify exactly how much was Dak being unwilling, and how much was lack of play calls, but either way I think it falls back in large part to the philosophy. Linehan may have accepted the middle not being attacked, but Moore expects it, and I’m sure he has made it clear to Dak that he has full confidence he can make those throws. It’s a huge boost to a player’s confidence when a coach shows confidence in him. There was also Kitna telling Dak to have confidence in his reads and “rip it”.

Dre11

Reaction score
This goes with what I was saying. They probably didn’t want to show the same things they did the week before, but when they didn’t get off to the start they hoped for they had to adjust.

I don't know that they are saving anything, games are too hard to win in the league, especially division games

Dre11

Reaction score
It’s hard to identify exactly how much was Dak being unwilling, and how much was lack of play calls, but either way I think it falls back in large part to the philosophy. Linehan may have accepted the middle not being attacked, but Moore expects it, and I’m sure he has made it clear to Dak that he has full confidence he can make those throws. It’s a huge boost to a player’s confidence when a coach shows confidence in him. There was also Kitna telling Dak to have confidence in his reads and “rip it”.

https://www.cover1.net/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-dagger-concept/

Yes that's what I was telling you before about Kitna, even Moore has said the same thing.
It's easy to see when the light came on for Dak, especially after he said it was in the middle of last season.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the article you posted ...

But a good theory is it’s a combination of the previous offensive coordinator, Scott Linehan, not often asking his quarterback to make those throws, and the team captain himself being unwilling to attempt them.

The expectation AND confidence of the coach to make those throws is important. That’s not to say Dak’s maturation isn’t part of it as well - I’m sure it is - but the coach has to call those plays and expect those plays for them to happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know that they are saving anything, games are too hard to win in the league, especially division games
I don’t look at it as necessarily “saving” as much as wanting to establish different patterns. Im sure they felt they could have success doing something different than the week before.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh there are TONS of reasons why the offense is running more smoothly. And much of it are either things Linehan didn't do, wouldn't do, or refused to do.

Motion is helping the quarterback to better identify what the defense is trying to do, giving him confidence and helping to quicken decision making. Bunch formations are harder to defend than Linehan's old, tired, 'one one each side' approach.

Timing is not only quicker in most cases, but it's far less predictable than it was under Linehan. This has helped immensely in pass protection.

It's not a coincidence that everything across the board looks better now that he's gone.

It's not a coincidence that no team in the league will touch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.