This feels like Taco Part II

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel better about the selection this morning than I did last night. The combination of missing out on the corners and the pick really nailing home how badly off they were with Smith and LVE really had me in a sour mood.

I’m still there!
:angry::laugh:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Again, stash... I get your point. And if LVE and Jaylon had panned out, I’d feel different. By contrast, we have considerable assets in our WR corps. A 1st via trade and an extension in Cooper, a 3rd in Gallup, and a 1st in Lamb. If we spent another 1st on a WR, for example, I’d have been upset given the resources and excellent production we get from them.

But the LBers aren’t panning out. And it’s a need. And we filled it with a top prospect. Not a “settlement” pick. The fact that we spent a 1st on LVE and a high 2 on Smith and it’s a need is troublesome. But we can’t undo the picks and need to address the position. And we did with the best prospect available at that position.

I’d have liked Slater too despite the resources we’ve spent on the OL too.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Ok I get being upset but to compare these two players when the athletic profile isn’t even remotely close is disgusting

Parsons is so far and away 10,000x the prospect Taco was come on man

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok I get being upset but to compare these two players when the athletic profile isn’t even remotely close is disgusting

They are not even in the same zip code.

Parsons has almost zero bust potential.

Proof

Reaction score
Do they also have to use 1st rounders every time? I don’t think so.

Unless you can name me another team that has invested #34 overall and two additional 1st rounders at linebacker in just 5 years?

If you can, maybe I’d feel better?

i mean you're being really specific and semantic lol. but we've seen tons of examples of teams investing multiple premium picks on the same position group in short spans. be it qb, or wr, or ol. it happens a lot. but yes. the cowboys are the only team to have done it for lber's in the last 5 years

Proof

Reaction score
There are 11 players playing on defense. Three of those are LBers. The Cowboys LBing was terrible last year. Absolutely terrible. Drafting a linebacker that most experts felt was the overall best defensive player in the draft is not a bad use of resources. I am a little surprised you are dying on this hill, but you cant please everybody:starspin:

basically. and the money on lve and jaylon is spent. we can't recoup it, so relying on them just because of cost is a losing proposition. unless either or both bounce back majorly. and even then at worst it's for a year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You missed the actual point.

It’s about seeing wasted draft resources as they happen. Not Parsons, but the huge investments he’s inevitably drafted to replace. It’s not about a player comparison.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas knew both times on Smith and LVE that they had red flags medically. Parsons has some red flags for "character" but he isn't medically compromised in any way pre draft.
Smith was a freak athlete at LB before his leg got destroyed. Cowboys bet he could recover. He made it to the NFL but turns like a cruise ship and has an ego.
LVE was flagged at the combine for his spinal stenosis but the Cowboys, sold on early meetings between the player, agent, SJ and McClay still went ahead with drafting him. To LVE credit, he was a playmaker before his neck injury. Too bad that was only for one year that ended on a sour note.

Parsons is the 3rd highly drafted LB since 2016 but he is clean medically. TBD how he fares but IMO what has failed on Smith and Vander Esch won;t be the same reason for Parsons if he fails to live up to his draft billing.

cowboygo

Reaction score
What big investment linebacker are we sitting? “Lol” indeed.

:facepalm:
You can't "hope" for Jaylon Smith or LVE to get back to elite level of play. Can't allow a sunk cost to affect future decisions. Ballsy decision to get Parsons, and I'm willing to bet he is better than our LBs already. He's a freak.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You can't "hope" for Jaylon Smith or LVE to get back to elite level of play. Can't allow a sunk cost to affect future decisions. Ballsy decision to get Parsons, and I'm willing to bet he is better than our LBs already. He's a freak.

Exactly.

If nothing else this gives me hope the team is doing real internal evaluation of personnel and acknowledging Jaylon is not part of the long term future here.

Txzic

Reaction score
Folks need to stop listening to so called NFL 'gurus', many don't have a clue, never played, don't know crap.
Remember when "it's a passing game, never pick a RB in the 1st, interior lineman are not worth a 1st round pick". That stupidity got QBs killed. Hello Travis & Zac., Tony Emmitt Zek
Some are saying a pure stud LB was a back pick for the Boys. lol

cnuball21

Reaction score
Exactly.

If nothing else this gives me hope the team is doing real internal evaluation of personnel and acknowledging Jaylon is not part of the long term future here.

The last piece of this makes me happy if true...prior I feel like we got to attached to the player and they stayed on the field too long.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hope you’re right.

Bleedblue12

Reaction score
The safety from TCU was taken away from by Raiders...this is a terrible draft already...another 8-8 seaons or should say 8-9 season...in the words of Charles Barkley..this is terrrrrrrible

jrumann59

Reaction score
My fear is they know will reach for a DT to help their shiny new toy.

Bleedblue12

Reaction score
Again, as long as Jerry is alive and the Jones own the Cowboys, we will never see a Super Bowl again...his choice of McCarthy and the draft so far spells mediocrity

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
This team can NEVER get the return on investment that they’ve put into linebacker. A recipe for failure.

This feels nothing like Taco. Taco was a reach for need. If we were reaching for need it wouldn't be for LB. It would have been for S, or CB, DT or even OL at 10. IF this means Jaylon is gone next year, it is even that much better.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Seems to me , y'all's yap-traps got snapped shut during that entire rookie season of the #55's ,,,HUH?o_O