This front office needs to address the 2 RB position

J12B

Reaction score
Zeke is the most important piece on offense (besides Prescott, but it's close). He plays the most physical position in the game and we've been fortunate to have him stay healthy for his first three seasons in the league. However, when he missed time due to the suspension we all saw how this offense looked.

But, we can't put all of our chips on Zeke alone. He needs to have a strong backup, given this is a run first offense and will more than likely remain that way under new OC Kellen Moore.

If Zeke goes down so does the rest of this team. He's basically near the importance level of an average QB and that says a lot about Zeke and his abilities as a runner.

The front office needs to spend either a 2nd, 3rd round pick on a premium running back. At the very least, a trade up in the 4th to grab a quality runner.

I don't want Rod Smith or that other scrub as the #2 back on the roster this coming season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke is the most important piece on offense (besides Prescott, but it's close). He plays the most physical position in the game and we've been fortunate to have him stay healthy for his first three seasons in the league. However, when he missed time due to the suspension we all saw how this offense looked.

But, we can't put all of our chips on Zeke alone. He needs to have a strong backup, given this is a run first offense and will more than likely remain that way under new OC Kellen Moore.

If Zeke goes down so does the rest of this team. He's basically near the importance level of an average QB and that says a lot about Zeke and his abilities as a runner.

The front office needs to spend either a 2nd, 3rd round pick on a premium running back. At the very least, a trade up in the 4th to grab a quality runner.

I don't want Rod Smith or that other scrub as the #2 back on the roster this coming season.
Rod Smith is no longer on the team. He no longer is listed on the roster. Instead, Darius Jackson is listed as the #3 RB, which means the Cowboys are likely to seek Zeke's backup in the draft or free agency.

Verdict

Reaction score

You are correct. Preach it bro!!

Eanwen

Reaction score
pass rush forcing turnovers and making sure what happened vs Rams never happens again are the most important things to focus on, then IMO TE and back up rb. I'm hoping for dl/te/s in second round, depending on how FA shapes up.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Too bad we can't have the Rod Smith that shows up in preseason.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Still plenty RBs in FA, interested to see if DAL even brings a guy in for a visit. If not, we should know they must a few RBs in the draft, and will pick one...4th-5th round for me.

Wizarus

Reaction score
pass rush forcing turnovers and making sure what happened vs Rams never happens again are the most important things to focus on, then IMO TE and back up rb. I'm hoping for dl/te/s in second round, depending on how FA shapes up.

I don't think the draft will solve what happened vs the Rams. 273 yards rushing is almost unheard of in today's NFL, even teams with less talent than us wont let that happen.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed. With what we spent on Zeke, we can't afford that on his backup. He needs to stay on the field as much as possible.

Absolutely. Besides that, Dallas can pick up a decent RB in like the 4th round. Get some powerful load to punish defenders when Zeke takes a rest. What did Emmitt have? No one. Dorsett had Springs. But he also had Newsome and Newhouse. Zeke don't need a Springs. Give him a Newsome type RB and all will be well. If you're too young to remember these guys that's ok. They were powerful backs with a good skillset.

batman36

Reaction score
Absolutely. Besides that, Dallas can pick up a decent RB in like the 4th round. Get some powerful load to punish defenders when Zeke takes a rest. What did Emmitt have? No one. Dorsett had Springs. But he also had Newsome and Newhouse. Zeke don't need a Springs. Give him a Newsome type RB and all will be well. If you're too young to remember these guys that's ok. They were powerful backs with a good skillset.
Yes, they were. #'s 20 (Springs), 30 (Newsome), and 44 (Newhouse), in your program, and Cowboys in our hearts!