This front office needs to address the 2 RB position

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I don't think the draft will solve what happened vs the Rams. 273 yards rushing is almost unheard of in today's NFL, even teams with less talent than us wont let that happen.

PREACH MY MAN! he gets it. Both of our 4 eyes did not lie and we saw what we saw and it really did happen. It was no Twilight Zone experience.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke is the most important piece on offense (besides Prescott, but it's close). He plays the most physical position in the game and we've been fortunate to have him stay healthy for his first three seasons in the league. However, when he missed time due to the suspension we all saw how this offense looked.

But, we can't put all of our chips on Zeke alone. He needs to have a strong backup, given this is a run first offense and will more than likely remain that way under new OC Kellen Moore.

If Zeke goes down so does the rest of this team. He's basically near the importance level of an average QB and that says a lot about Zeke and his abilities as a runner.

The front office needs to spend either a 2nd, 3rd round pick on a premium running back. At the very least, a trade up in the 4th to grab a quality runner.

I don't want Rod Smith or that other scrub as the #2 back on the roster this coming season.

Yep totally agree here having a good back up HB is most important for our offense for reasons we witnessed when Zeke went out for 6 weeks......

exciter

Reaction score
Zeke is the most important piece on offense (besides Prescott, but it's close). He plays the most physical position in the game and we've been fortunate to have him stay healthy for his first three seasons in the league. However, when he missed time due to the suspension we all saw how this offense looked.

But, we can't put all of our chips on Zeke alone. He needs to have a strong backup, given this is a run first offense and will more than likely remain that way under new OC Kellen Moore.

If Zeke goes down so does the rest of this team. He's basically near the importance level of an average QB and that says a lot about Zeke and his abilities as a runner.

The front office needs to spend either a 2nd, 3rd round pick on a premium running back. At the very least, a trade up in the 4th to grab a quality runner.

I don't want Rod Smith or that other scrub as the #2 back on the roster this coming season.
2nd or 3rd on someone who'll get 5 carries a game? Pass!

John813

Reaction score
There's still a handful of backs in FA that could be a good complement to Zeke and or carry more of the load if needed for a few games and not be bad at it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
LJ Scott ran a slow 4.62 40 at his Pro Day. He skipped running the 40 at the NFL Combine. He's slow. I would pass on this RB.

His fellow MSU alum LeVeon Bell ran a 4.60 at his combine.

Not saying Scott will be the next Bell, just saying I wouldn't write a guy off based solely on one timed 40.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think the draft will solve what happened vs the Rams. 273 yards rushing is almost unheard of in today's NFL, even teams with less talent than us wont let that happen.
That was a terrible defensive performance by the Cowboys, but let’s not act if the Rams game was the norm for teams against the Cowboys, or as if anomaly performances never occur in the NFL. Obviously that game has to be a concern, and we have to be aware of things to prevent it, including talent upgrades, but it also has to be put in proper perspective. And note what you said about about teams with less talent not allowing that kind of game - that statement tells you there was more going on in that game than just a lack of talent. Our very young LBs were out of position the entire game, moving with the shifts and motion - falling for the misdirection. Coaches and players both should have learned something from that game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We will sign a vet or draft a RB. We won’t pay prime money for a legit starter behind Zeke....just can’t do that.
Even back with Emmitt Smith, prior to a salary cap, the Cowboys never paid top dollar for a starting caliber RB. When you have a stud at RB, you just accept that there will be a drop off.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
They'll definitely do something in the draft. Apparently the Cowboys have made it clear that Rod Smith won't return. All of the DC.com media folks are convinced he's done.

dckid

Reaction score
And for years the fans will complain about a "back up draft."
Wasnt the 1996 draft a backup draft? The year after the SB win... ( I said SB win... Imagine that.) Jerry I believe came out and said we drafted for depth. I think our great pick that year was Kavika Pittman.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't want to spend a pick on a RB that barely gets playing time. Good rb's are cheap so go pay one and draft someone who isn't cheap. A DT, OL, CB etc.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will keep singing the praises FA CJ Anderson until he is picked up. To me he would be a great pickup as a back up to Zeke. I think he did a good in that role behind Gurley and feel he could do the same in Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You lost me at "2nd, 3rd round pick". You spent the #4 overall pick on your starter, you can't turn around and use your top draft asset on his backup.

I'm all for improving the backup spot, but it's crazy to think about using your 2nd or 3rd round pick to do it.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
6th round pick or a vet on a 1 year contract for peanuts. It's a position that requires no real investment.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rod Smith could be brought back later on at least for a camp body. I still think he has some value, but on a cheap contract and not as the primary 2nd RB.
Darius Jackson is not the answer either.
CJ Anderson is out there still as an option. If they can't draft one in the later rounds.

However late round RB draft picks have not worked out. But no way you use a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two names for consideration:

Browns RB Duke Johnson - I'd gladly give the Browns one of my fourth rounders to acquire him. And to keep him from going to the Eagles. He'd be a fine backup to Zeke, and he gives you tons of options in the passing game, including the slot.

Former Packers RB Ty Montgomery - versatile RB/WR combo player that can help you in multiple ways, perfect in a backup role.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Two names for consideration:

Browns RB Duke Johnson - I'd gladly give the Browns one of my fourth rounders to acquire him. And to keep him from going to the Eagles. He'd be a fine backup to Zeke, and he gives you tons of options in the passing game, including the slot.

Former Packers RB Ty Montgomery - versatile RB/WR combo player that can help you in multiple ways, perfect in a backup role.

I would also add TJ Yeldon to this list. I think both Yeldon & Montgomery can do some kick return duties as well.

Flexibility is what the player needs to be. Able to run between the tackles so as to not tip off the D but also able to do a variety of other things to give the offense some options in how your pre snap formations look.