This game is why Dallas needs legit Backup QB

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Rush will come in for an injured Dak midway through the second quarter and lead us to a come from behind win, throwing for 300 yards and 4 TDs in just more than one half.

cern

Reaction score
Exactly how do you know Rush #7 is not legitimate? He never played, so you've never actually seen what he can do in a real game.
This makes perfect sense. He was having a poor outing during one of the preseason games so Kellen Moore changed the game plan and rush looked much better after the change.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Nick Foles 2017 is all the argument you need as to how priceless a good backup QB can be to a playoff contender.

Ditto for Jeff Hostetler, Giants 1990 Super Bowl winning backup QB.

I mean, even Tony Romo was technically a backup for three years.

exciter

Reaction score
I am kind of curious to find out--is Rush the next Matt Moore or the next Kellen Moore?!
I'm thinking he's going to be a QB coach somewhere but it is probably his ceiling unless it's on the small school level!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Instead of over-paying every player that looks Jerry direction maybe Dallas should have signed back-up QB in off-season. The eagles game plan will be simple: 1) stack box on Zeke 2) get some hits on Dak shoulder. Dak comments that this shoulder injury happened every other week in college when he ran is concerning. It means its chronic injury for his style of play. I don't have faith in Rush to win this game if Dak is unable to throw.

Fans are delusional about backup QBs.

The list of backup QBs that have won great in the playoffs is very limited:
Tom Brady
Nick Foles
?

Brady had Belichick as his head coach and the Eagles overall team and especially it's defense were rolling when Foles stepped in for Wentz.

The Cowboys have struggled as a regular season team and are 7-7. What chances would any backup QB have in that situation?

The vast majority of veteran backups are just a waste of money and don't perform that well when forced into action.

Possible Backup QB situations:
1. Veteran Journeyman
2. Young, low cost limited upside QB.
3. Young developmental QB with high potential upside but enough "ready now" ability to be #2.
4. Carry 3 QBs with the #3 being a developmental player and #2 being one of number 1 or 2 above.

The Cowboys should put some effort into being in situation #3; although, that often requires carrying 3 QBs for a season until the developmental QB with upside can step up to be the only backup. Considering that the Cowboys would acquire that type of player in rounds 4 to 7, it is likely that the player would have to be #3 on the roster for a season.

csirl

Reaction score
Jerry doesnt sign good #2 QBs - because its what Jimmy Johnson used to do (Walsh, Kosar, Beuerlein etc,).

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Instead of over-paying every player that looks Jerry direction maybe Dallas should have signed back-up QB in off-season. The eagles game plan will be simple: 1) stack box on Zeke 2) get some hits on Dak shoulder. Dak comments that this shoulder injury happened every other week in college when he ran is concerning. It means its chronic injury for his style of play. I don't have faith in Rush to win this game if Dak is unable to throw.
I disagree. I like cooper rush and think he’s a top 5-10 backup he just needs a chance to show it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
agreed.
never understood why we didnt sign a vet QB...like a Blaine Gabbert or a RG III....Alex Smith woulda been perfect but too expensive and wanted to be a starter.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wood---your man FRedbeard said he is 100% confident in Cooper Rush...i would rather have Rush then a broken winged Dak out there

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
have to go back to Danny White for a true #1 backup or Vinny Testaverde who had to come in to win a playoff game when Aikman was knocked out of the game

mahoney--it was Bernie Kosar not Vinney

Mr_437

Reaction score
Rush can beat the Eagles...just hand the ball to #21.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
have to go back to Danny White for a true #1 backup or Vinny Testaverde who had to come in to win a playoff game when Aikman was knocked out of the game
For the sake of accuracy, that was actually Bernie Kosar. Testaverde didn't sign here until Aikman was long gone.