This had to be the worst draft I have seen in a while for us

Eskimo

Reaction score
Duane said:
And we all thought 2002 was the best ever and we know how that turned out.

I really think a large part of the problem with the 2002 draft class was the change in management. It still really wasn't that bad of a draft overall.

Ultimately, that draft produced one possible future HOFer (Roy Williams) and one good WR (Antonio Bryant) and one CB who played well until he tore up his knee (Ross). It also produced one OL who has some untapped potential in Gurode.

Eddie

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I remember people were complaining about our 2001 draft and the "glass is half full" people told everyone to relax; well obviously those people were wrong. And in general if the fans have a bad feeling about a draft, it's been my experience that they tend to be right. I have yet to remember a draft in which the fans blasted it and it turned out to be amazing. Usually, when fans spider sense is tingling, they usually end up being right and my spider sense is bumpin!! Not a good sign!

I agree 100%.

When fans start using the "Wait two years to evaluate" excuse, then I know it's a BS draft.

A++ grade drafts are easy to see.

F grade drafts are always given the "wait and see" excuse.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Eddie said:
I agree 100%.

When fans start using the "Wait two years to evaluate" excuse, then I know it's a BS draft.

A++ grade drafts are easy to see.

F grade drafts are always given the "wait and see" excuse.

Exactly, in my experience that's just a lot of rationalizing to cover up the fact that they are upset like the rest of us.

I'm sure there are fans in Buffalo telling everyone to show patience as well. :laugh2:

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I don't know if it is any worse than 2004:

Julius Jones
Jacob Rogers
Steven Peterman
Bruce Thornton
Sean Ryan
Nate Jones
Jacques Reeves
Patrick Crayton

That draft has produced one starter who is injured frequently, a somewhat productive #3 WR when he can stay healthy, a #4 CB and a horrible nickel safety. It also produced a fat tub of lard who has yet to see a play in two years.

Mind you, the 2004 draft looks better if you add in Marcus Spears.

Ok lets look at this again from a real prespective not a tainted one JJ has been a solid pick in the 2nd round and set us up for spears a win

Rogers a flat out bust

Peterman no idea so far a backup this year will make or break that pick

Thorton got hurt then caught up in a numbers game was released and is now starting for SF and played very well he was a player to bad somebody else is reaping the benifits so that is a hit

Sean Ryan is around but he is a 5th rounder most 5th rounders become special team players or ok players he is that so far

Jones; Reeves and crayton where all drafted in the 6th-7th round what the hell do you want from them HOF players what the ***** are you guys smoking we took a 7th round pick a former QB made him a WR in a 2 year period he has contrbiuted as a wr and when he got injured this team offense suffered the other guys being solid nickel cb and special teams players

Any production you get from the 5th round on is gravy the lower rounds rarely produce HOF or Pro-Bowl players (yes there are exceptions) but the major % is those players do not last in the league more than 2-3 years or become good solid fill in spots and special team players

:banghead:

I think some of you have no ide what the hell you are talking about and doing the typical over reaction because the Cowboys drafted players that fit there model of player and system/scheme.

Just because they did not match what you wanted us to draft does not mean a thing. Get use to this idea about all you KO guys Bill is going to avoid drafting knuckle head players he does not like stupid players the reason Ko was passed on most likely.

Well what ever I am done ranting for now

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
I think some of you have no ide what the hell you are talking about and doing the typical over reaction because the Cowboys drafted players that fit there model of player and system/scheme.

Just because they did not match what you wanted us to draft does not mean a thing. Get use to this idea about all you KO guys Bill is going to avoid drafting knuckle head players he does not like stupid players the reason Ko was passed on most likely.

Well what ever I am done ranting for now

I don't think that's fair comment. The majority of fans gave this draft a C or less. Do you think that's a coincidence especially when the majority gave last years draft a B or higher? And last years draft turned to produce some quality players. Furthermore, the majority liked our first round selection but were critical of the other 2 choices.

You can accuse the entire forum of not knowing what the hell they are talking about or you could put your ego aside and try to see where people are coming from. After all, if over 2/3 of the forum is giving this draft a C or less, it's pretty arrogant to assume everyone else is just stupid.

True, some fans overreact but others love to contradict the status quo and stand apart.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't think that's fair comment. The majority of fans gave this draft a C or less. Do you think that's a coincidence especially when the majority gave last years draft a B or higher? And last years draft turned to produce some quality players. Furthermore, the majority liked our first round selection but were critical of the other 2 choices.

You can accuse the entire forum of not knowing what the hell they are talking about or you could put your ego aside and try to see where people are coming from. After all, if over 2/3 of the forum is giving this draft a C or less, it's pretty arrogant to assume everyone else is just stupid.

True, some fans overreact but others love to contradict the status quo and stand apart.

I think way to many people are over reacting and I said some I never accused all or most; Ego me bahahaha about the draft please I am not a full time scout and have not watched enough College football this year as years past.

So far it looks like the players drafted have not been reaches by the scouting guru's ala like Rogers of the 2 years ago or the QC reach. Now what has happened is they did not draft players that people wanted in areas of what we call need like oline etc. instead we took a TE and people flew of the handle because we have a ProBowl one already and we signed a DE/DT type for the 3-4 when we have guys but I think this is Colemans replacement and eventualy Ellis. I am just glad we did not draft guys that had 5th round rating in the 3rd and stuff like that. I rather have the solid safe picks than the old days of Alundice Brice:eek: and things like that.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Jesus... why are people reacting so negatively to our first three picks?

Carpenter is a hell of a pick and is exactly what we needed opposite Ware.

Fasano is a very good TE. He'll be a great player for years to come. Why are people complaining. Because everyone wanted a safety? Because people wanted to draft OL? Gimme a break. Parcells and company know our needs and who he likes at what position. Fasano is a damn good player who will add toughness and youth to our offense.

Hatcher may be new to us on the forum, but he's well known to scouts and he was supposed to go about where we took him. Do you guys think Parcells took him instead of Simpson or Watkins because he wanted to piss you off? Because he just didn't want to help the team? Of course not. He wanted to get a good, athletic prospect to help out at DE. We have our starters in Spears and Canty and now we have very good depth and youth behind them with Hatcher and Ratliff. We'll have a heck of a rotation at DE. Hatcher could turn out to be a monster.

That is three very good football players who will definately help this team. Hard workers. They love the game of football. Smart. That's three more players added to the team who will add terrific intangibles.

Don't be upset because it isn't the big name players that we've been reading about since January. Don't be upset because you wanted a safety or an OL and we didn't go in that direction.

We have the much needed compliment to Ware that we had to have. We have probably the best TE tandem in the NFL, or close to it. And we have a terrific rotation at DE that will wear down opposing offensive lines.

It was a wonderful first day unless you think we had to have big name players at safety and OL.

EDIT: I remember fans from other team's being upset that their team passed on Derek Ross and Antonio Bryant to take lesser known players. They wanted the big names of Bryant and Ross. That was players they had read about and knew from draft profiles. Now we know why teams passed on them. So we passed on Simpson... Knowing Parcells, we really shouldn't be surprised.

Had we taken Simpson in round 3... all of the people complaining would be saying it was a great first day because we got Simpson in the third round when "Some people had him going in the first round. We stole him!" Unfortunately, that is how many measure the success of a draft on the first day.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
And Sunday has been even worse than Saturday!

Let's see:

The first round pick is an over-rated lb made to look good by the presence of AJ Hawk. Don't tell me this guy has the athleticism to flow to the ball, or can stop an NFL starting tailback. But of course, he's the son of a Giant.

Fasano..reminds Bill of his favorite wet dream, Bavaro. A creation of Charlie Weis and Brady Quinn and the luck of the Irish before the better college Ds figured them out.

Hatcher. If there were three fans on this board, no, in the world, who recognized his name when it was called...be wary when a guy is termed a 'sleeper'. It means he's been sleeping for four years.

Green? Another Tuna fetish...searching in vain for another Megget Returner. I'm sure a wide out this guy's size is going to see much action out fo the slot in Parcells scheme. Pure special teams pick.

Watkins. Look at the talent on that FSU D! I could have gotten drafted on that unit. Maybe even Juke could've.

Dontarrious..Montavious? well, evidently he's got 'personality'. But even 3-4 dts have to be able to get out of their own way. He's more Siragusa than Sam Adams, but unlike Tony, he won't be playing 4-3 alongside a three tech with push.

So far, so bad.

It'll take Tom Brady in the seventh to bail out this disaster.