Video: This has an ugly ending coming?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everyone understands the concept, many are not buying the premise that Dak will even be around for a second contract, in which case the shorter contract is better.

This will be his second contract. The longer you can lock up a player the better, especially a QB. A shorter deal benefits the player a lot more than the team which is why Dak wants a shorter deal and the Cowboys want a longer one.

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Everyone understands the concept, many are not buying the premise that Dak will even be around for a second contract, in which case the shorter contract is better.

If the guaranteed money is equal, the shorter contract isn't better for the Cowboys. With a long contract if Dak becomes an elite qb, you have control of him for more years. If he falls off you can cut him with no dead money after three years. That is why Dak isn't taking the Cowboys offer.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If the Cowboys want to pay on the current payscale then the fair offer is $110 million+ guaranteed on a four year extension.

Spotrac says 5 years, 33mil average. 110mil+ gtd sounds about right to me, by league payscale.

Word has it that Dak was offered 33mil *last* year. I think Dak just wants more than the league payscale, and certainly Sharpe's 40 mil is *way* beyond that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

I don't think Jerry should even be offering the general league payscale, because the Cowboy brand brings a lot of extra money to the table that other teams don't.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Today’s pay scale is today’s pay scale. How is it reasonable to want to be paid by tomorrow’s pay scale? It isn’t. I have never seen a job that paid wages on a future scale. It is beyond unreasonable for a player like Dak to be the highest paid player in the league because at some point he assumes that QB pay might reach the level that he is asking for. It is not good business for Jerry to give in to Dak’s demands. To make matters worse, he wants a short term contract . The Cowboys are getting screwed on every level if they give in to Dak.

I'm guessing that you aren't locked into a contract for years to come. I think a lot of people have the expectation of a soon to be expanding payscale. I don't find it unreasonable, but disagreeing with it isn't unreasonable too.

Given different expectations of the future, the reasonable thing to do for both sides is plan on playing on the tag and revisiting the issue next year when reality resolves the uncertainty over the future payscale.

Also reasonable for Jerry to start seriously looking at other options.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Spotrac says 5 years, 33mil average. 110mil+ gtd sounds about right to me, by league payscale.

Word has it that Dak was offered 33mil *last* year. I think Dak just wants more than the league payscale, and certainly Sharpe's 40 mil is *way* beyond that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

I don't think Jerry should even be offering the general league payscale, because the Cowboy brand brings a lot of extra money to the table that other teams don't.

Odell Beckham is #1 in endorsements and he plays in Cleveland. Dak wasn't even listed. I think people tend to overstate the value of that. It was reported Dak would have accepted the last offer if it was a four year deal instead of five. We haven't heard any reports of Dak's counteroffers, only offers from the team. I think if Dak's demands were so far out of bounds they would be getting leaked. All the leaks seem to be put out by the team to make themselves look good, so Dak's counteroffers would be getting leaked as well if they were unreasonable.

The Cowboys haven't even reached the offer you stated. The most guaranteed money they offered was $105 million. Goff and Wentz got more guaranteed on a shorter extension.

Reaction score
If the guaranteed money is equal, the shorter contract isn't better for the Cowboys. With a long contract if Dak becomes an elite qb, you have control of him for more years. If he falls off you can cut him with no dead money after three years. That is why Dak isn't taking the Cowboys offer.

Except that the guaranteed money would not be equal over a longer contract.

ESisback

Reaction score
We can draft a QB but not with our first pick. No need to come back to the bargaining table if we drafted one with our first pick. We would be moving on.

Think a 2nd or 3rd would get his attention without making him think Jerry’s moving on?

Reaction score
This will be his second contract. The longer you can lock up a player the better, especially a QB. A shorter deal benefits the player a lot more than the team which is why Dak wants a shorter deal and the Cowboys want a longer one.

lol, again, everybody understands the concept, it's whether that "next" contract is even offered that is in question. sheesh!

ESisback

Reaction score
Odell Beckham is #1 in endorsements and he plays in Cleveland. Dak wasn't even listed. I think people tend to overstate the value of that. It was reported Dak would have accepted the last offer if it was a four year deal instead of five. We haven't heard any reports of Dak's counteroffers, only offers from the team. I think if Dak's demands were so far out of bounds they would be getting leaked. All the leaks seem to be put out by the team to make themselves look good, so Dak's counteroffers would be getting leaked as well if they were unreasonable.

The Cowboys haven't even reached the offer you stated. The most guaranteed money they offered was $105 million. Goff and Wentz got more guaranteed on a shorter extension.
If the Cowboys were a consistent contender, and Dak didn’t crap out against good teams, HE’D be #1.

ESisback

Reaction score
Dak is praised for not backing down, but the Cowboys get criticized for doing the same thing. That whole evil billionaire boss, owning those noble blue collar tweekers, just doesn’t ring true. Joe Shmoe get used by a wealthy boss too, and for a tiny FRACTION of the money.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Except that the guaranteed money would not be equal over a longer contract.

That is why Dak hasn't signed the contract. The Cowboys are offering less guaranteed money on a five year extension than Wentz and Goff got on four year extensions. But people are confused as to why Dak won't take it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Think a 2nd or 3rd would get his attention without making him think Jerry’s moving on?

The team isn’t going to approach this draft to try and get his attention. They’re looking to make a pick that’s going to help us this season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
lol, again, everybody understands the concept, it's whether that "next" contract is even offered that is in question. sheesh!

Few understand the concept here because the majority who post on this board are idiots. Many of the threads that are started are a perfect example of how little fans understand the concept of football.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Beckham made his brand with the Giants, another huge market.

You got numbers on Dak's endorsement? There's a 50mil number floating around, but that's bogus because it includes a potential insurance payout.

But next time you wonder about the value of the Cowboys brand for the QB, go check out the lead NFL announcers on Fox and CBS.

ESisback

Reaction score
The team isn’t going to approach this draft to try and get his attention. They’re looking to make a pick that’s going to help us this season.
No, but if a good one becomes available in the 2nd or 3rd, I’d hope they’d consider it.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Beckham made his brand with the Giants, another huge market.

You got numbers on Dak's endorsement? There's a 50mil number floating around, but that's bogus because it includes a potential insurance payout.

But next time you wonder about the value of the Cowboys brand for the QB, go check out the lead NFL announcers on Fox and CBS.

I only saw a top 10 list and Dak wasn't on it. #10 made $5 million so Dak would have to be making less than that.

https://opendorse.com/blog/top-10-most-lucrative-nfl-endorsement-deals/

I agree there is a potential value there but I still think it is overstated. OBJ and the rest of the top 10 players process that other markets can be lucrative for marketable players. None of them were Cowboys. Not to mention I don't really think Dak is the most marketable anyway. Dak seems more like a Witten to me than a Romo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No, but if a good one becomes available in the 2nd or 3rd, I’d hope they’d consider it.

The top QBs will go in the first round. The team has too many needs especially on defense to consider a QB in the second round. We need to find starters with our first two picks. We have some holes to fill. After the second round we may take a QB.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I ilke Dak & I think Dallas can win with him but I'm getting to the point that we should just move on. He wants too much. This should have been an easy deal.

Make Dak a final offer to sign by Thursday at noon. If he says no lets move on and draft a QB. Im sorry. As much as I like him he isnt a top 5 QB. Maybe not even top 8.