This is a football move and yesterday's wasn't? - Same play

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It was actually your post, #101, that showed me the GROUND LEVEL view I was asking for... grrrr.... thanks. It's at the 9 second mark.

Does that override the football move rule, then?

There are FIVE football moves on this play.
#1 turning upfield. Caught the ball with his back to the sideline and turned 90 degrees upfield.
#2 switching the ball from the right shoulder with both hands to the left hand only. The ball is secure the whole time.
#3 lunging for the end zone
#4 Extending his arm for the pylon.
#5 Traveling 5 yards during #1-#4

This is all I know from what I heard and read yesterday regarding the rule in play. I think it was Pareira(sp?)

It doesnt matter he took 2-3 steps or switched hands because they took that as him coming down. They concentrated on did he make a lunge at the end and did he control the ball. They said if it was a lunge them the ball coming loose wouldn't matter. But they thought he didn't make enough of a move so then he had to finish the catch completely on the ground. I'm not going to pretend to know why they thought steps and ball in hands didn't count unless they took it as a falling forward vs a move like I stated to start in this thread.

nathanlt

Reaction score
This is all I know from what I heard and read yesterday regarding the rule in play. I think it was Pareira(sp?)

It doesnt matter he took 2-3 steps or switched hands because they took that as him coming down. They concentrated on did he make a lunge at the end and did he control the ball. They said if it was a lunge them the ball coming loose wouldn't matter. But they thought he didn't make enough of a move so then he had to finish the catch completely on the ground. I'm not going to pretend to know why they thought steps and ball in hands didn't count unless they took it as a falling forward vs a move like I stated to start in this thread.

So they explain away the 5 yards, because he was falling the whole time.
They try to explain away the secure move from two hands to the left hand. (That thing is rock solid in his hands, he must have an incredible grip!) ???HOW does moving the ball to the side away from the defender have ANYTHING to do with falling???
The lunge didn't count because it wasn't strong enough? Tell that (not you, the refs) to the pieces of turf that flew up during the lunge!!

They think the ball didn't move relative to his helmet (aka extending??) That was crystal clear!

And they never quite mentioned the 90 degree, and it was probably more than that, turn upfield??

Their explanation to take away football moves is not convincing at all. PS... thanks for staying with me on this. I admit the ball touched the ground, I hope you're happy. I was fired up.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The clear difference is Dez is not falling to the ground to make the catch. Against GB, Dez goes up and upon landing immediately begins to fall, thus "the entire process" rule comes into place.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
So they explain away the 5 yards, because he was falling the whole time.
They try to explain away the secure move from two hands to the left hand. (That thing is rock solid in his hands, he must have an incredible grip!) ???HOW does moving the ball to the side away from the defender have ANYTHING to do with falling???
The lunge didn't count because it wasn't strong enough? Tell that (not you, the refs) to the pieces of turf that flew up during the lunge!!

They think the ball didn't move relative to his helmet (aka extending??) That was crystal clear!

And they never quite mentioned the 90 degree, and it was probably more than that, turn upfield??

Their explanation to take away football moves is not convincing at all. PS... thanks for staying with me on this. I admit the ball touched the ground, I hope you're happy. I was fired up.

No problem. I don't take this stuff personally and enjoy the banter. I'm not on here to try snd get into it with my fellow Boys fans. We all have the same goal. But I enjoy debating if I have an opinion that might not jive with others. If we all thought the same the place would be boring. I agree with a lot of points regarding a football move, it's just the NFL tries to squeeze it into a horrible rule that is open to interpretation.