This is a run first team and DJ Chark compliments that the most IMO

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They haven't struck fear into defenses...sooo...it stands to reason we find a guy.

Beasley did and teams adjusted and Dallas didn't.

Regardless.. We need someone that stretches the field and creates space..

Beasley doesn't do that, Witten doesn't do that, Dez can still draw double teams and get attention from the D. Leaving Dez alone 1 on 1 down the sideline is a risk.

If you added Chark he may just be a compliment but he can fly and with Zeke being the defense primary focus a homerun hitter like that would be a nice piece.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Beaz is our underneath guy...Dez our mediary guy...and we got NO ONE that is capable of taking the lid off deep.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its a lot to ask our of Chark as a rookie if we draft him. I rather get a guy that's use to being the man deep.

Carter

Reaction score
Hes my favourite Receiver in that Draft.

Dont Forget that he was productive while having a terrible QB in College and ran a 4,34 with 6'3 200 lbs.

At Pick 50 he would be perfect.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hes my favourite Receiver in that Draft.

Dont Forget that he was productive while having a terrible QB in College and ran a 4,34 with 6'3 200 lbs.

At Pick 50 he would be perfect.
I KNOW...that LSU team was like watching Woody Hays' Ohio State teams back in the day lol...2 yards and a cloud of dust. The QB wasn't garbage...its just that system is beyond vanilla and basic.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not if the player can't catch the ball.

Alexander Wright
Randal Williams
Teddy Williams
Todd Lowber
I think you underestimate Chark, xw.
I don't love him, and would probably not consider him before 50 (and maybe not then), but I suspect he has a decent career.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like a speed WR and an RB3 with some quickness and who can catch to add a bit of speed to the offense. It's a missing element right now.

I don't think we need to retool the offense to make it speed-oriented. I do think adding that option to the current personnel to make them more difficult to defend in general makes a ton of sense. Looking @percyhoward 's WR splits in the other thread, I can see why the team might have been thinking a guy like Watkins made sense. Failing to get him, we're bringing in some speed WRs today to take a look, and I bet whoever we take at WR in the draft is a guy they think can get behind the coverage for a run-based offense, too.

If Chark's there, I can totally see him ending up a Cowboy.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They haven't struck fear into defenses...sooo...it stands to reason we find a guy.

And if the Cowboys get a speedy deep threat, can Dak get him the ball? Can the line protect Dak long enough for the receiver to get deep? Will there be enough plays for a deep threat after Zeke gets the ball 30 times a game, Dez gets his throws, Beasley gets his, Witten gets a couple because he's the only one open and Dak runs a couple of times?

I think the blazing fast receiver is a bit overrated these days, what with the proliferation of the West Coast offense and these big, fast DEs that put lots of pressure on the quarterback.

Who was the Eagle's blazing fast receiver the year before, or the Patriots' blazing fast receiver the year before that? Not a requirement to have that kind of a guy these days, and it's a huge risk taking one early in the draft, lots and lots of "sure fire" deep threat receivers that have been busts over the years.

Not to say you should totally ignore them, depends on who is available in the draft when you pick...

Rayman70

Reaction score
And if the Cowboys get a speedy deep threat, can Dak get him the ball? Can the line protect Dak long enough for the receiver to get deep? Will there be enough plays for a deep threat after Zeke gets the ball 30 times a game, Dez gets his throws, Beasley gets his, Witten gets a couple because he's the only one open and Dak runs a couple of times?

I think the blazing fast receiver is a bit overrated these days, what with the proliferation of the West Coast offense and these big, fast DEs that put lots of pressure on the quarterback.

Who was the Eagle's blazing fast receiver the year before, or the Patriots' blazing fast receiver the year before that? Not a requirement to have that kind of a guy these days, and it's a huge risk taking one early in the draft, lots and lots of "sure fire" deep threat receivers that have been busts over the years.

Not to say you should totally ignore them, depends on who is available in the draft when you pick...
Been thinking...wouldn't it be great if we had Switzer AND Beasley on the field all the time? Dez Switzer,Beasley...and bring TWILL off the bench..I like the idea of having two smallish underneath receivers running precise rub routes etc..ie like the Patriots. I would think that would cause headaches for defenses. Still need some deep speed...but if we employ a system that uses Switz and Beaz...I think it opens up much more of the offense.

Jake0

Reaction score

The stats don't always tell the whole story. Just because a deep threat didn't catch a bomb in a game doesn't mean he had no impact. If you have NO deep threat on your team like Dallas' current situation, the opposing defensive coordinator will not have to account for it. No one likes giving up bombs. If they know you won't ever use a bomb on them, they gameplan accordingly. Safeties now start closer to the LOS ready to disrupt running plays or any short throws, they never have the fear of being forced to run backwards.

A legit deep threat should stretch the field and help Zeke, Dez, Witten, Beasley, etc, have more room to operate underneath.

Dallas has known this, they've been looking at speed WRs for 2 years, they brought in Will Fuller for an official visit for example. The fact that they could not address this issue is an indictment on the front office. Huge failure on their part. Dede Westbrook would have been a nice pick last year IMO but round 3 went Jourdan Lewis then he was taken before Dallas was picking in round 4 and got Switzer.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
The more I break him down the more I believe he's a body catch similar to Williams unfortunately... I love his speed but geesh!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you underestimate Chark, xw.
I don't love him, and would probably not consider him before 50 (and maybe not then), but I suspect he has a decent career.
He'll be better than the players I listed but I just wouldn't draft him.

I would just take a guy like this late:

Jake0

Reaction score
yep. he's not without flaws. if he was surehanded he would be a slam dunk 1st rounder. just have to hope the speed + scheme puts him in good position to make easy catches frequently.

Will Fuller had massive drop issues in college and still went in the 1st round. When both were healthy, Watson was finding him for TDs at a historic rate still.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I would be for it but I think he's one of those guys who goes between 19 and 50.

Defenses are able to sit on everything underneath and stack the box due to the lack of a deep threat in this offense. Drafting a DJ Moore or a Calvin Ridley doesn't fix that, but Chark could.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
I would be for it but I think he's one of those guys who goes between 19 and 50.

Defenses are able to sit on everything underneath and stack the box due to the lack of a deep threat in this offense. Drafting a DJ Moore or a Calvin Ridley doesn't fix that, but Chark could.

this is only good in theory,Dak is not a good deep ball thrower.