This is a run first team and DJ Chark compliments that the most IMO

TheFinisher

Reaction score
this is only good in theory,Dak is not a good deep ball thrower.

I tend to agree, but he also has not been afforded the opportunity to play with receivers who can separate. That can make a big difference, and expands the room for error on deep throws.

Whereas with the likes of Bryant, Williams and Witten the windows are typically minuscule

Jumbo075

Reaction score

This vid at 1:30 shows he is physical. Flying into a safety (Justin Evans BTW, not some JAG) on a slant and takes it like it's nothing. Dez is one of the most physical WRs in the league. Adding a speed compliment that is also physical is hard to find. Running game is built on wearing down defenses and Chark will help that the most out of any speed WR available by a mile.

LSU is a run first team. He spent his entire college career run blocking, running jet sweeps/reverses. He won't put up the insane numbers but he fits the team identity perfectly. Scouts say he's great at run blocking. The insane speed is obviously priority #1 but the size and physicality aren't traits you normally get in a speed WR.

He comes in and has instant impact as a deep threat, play action threat, run blocker, jet sweeper/reverser. Instead of Lucky Whitehead as the jet sweeper now you have a guy who is also someone who catches passes to keep defenses guessing. Doesn't have to have the best hands, just needs to be able to catch over the shoulder bombs when the rest of the team draws all the attention underneath.

Need to get this guy in the 2nd somehow. Might take a trade up or the David Irving pick if he gets grabbed but he may be available at 50 due to route running, body catching, and not putting up crazy stats in LSU's run first offense. Dez isn't being replaced now, can find that later if necessary.

I like Chark, and he's what the Cowboys need. I think he'll be available in the 3rd round - although the Cowboys may need to trade up a little to get him.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Chark, and he's what the Cowboys need. I think he'll be available in the 3rd round - although the Cowboys may need to trade up a little to get him.

Phenomenal 3rd round option IMO.

He'll get overdrafted though and don't seem him making it far outside of the top 50.

sbark

Reaction score
It takes more than speed and hands as well, Alvin Harper was a 4.3 receiver, did pretty well at Dallas, went to Tampa Bay and did basically nothing there. But he didn't have an Irvin that required double teams, a safety over the top, etc. to help him.

Don't think, at least at this point, that Dallas is either set up for, or has the personnel to utilize a speed receiver...
Speed over the top, key point missing in Garrets offense according to this BTB post
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ason-garrett-offensive-philosophy-air-coryell

from article.........hat's the essence of Coryell's system, and, in turn, Jason Garrett's. It's a fairly simple concept once you get the hang of it. You use the threat of the deep ball and the threat of the interior running game to force the concession of the intermediate passing game

now that being said..........is it a strength of Dak's to be able to throw into a tight nfl window accurately to take advantage of the intermediate passing game?

jay94

Reaction score
Give me the best route runner and not to mention would be the fastest receiver next year on the field for the Cowboys Ridley over Shark all day.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Been thinking...wouldn't it be great if we had Switzer AND Beasley on the field all the time? Dez Switzer,Beasley...and bring TWILL off the bench..I like the idea of having two smallish underneath receivers running precise rub routes etc..ie like the Patriots. I would think that would cause headaches for defenses. Still need some deep speed...but if we employ a system that uses Switz and Beaz...I think it opens up much more of the offense.

It suits Dak’s skill set too with the short to medium depth routes. Unfortunately, our offensive scheme is unimaginative and coaching braintrust is reactive instead of proactive.

tm1119

Reaction score
Quit watching highlight videos.

Watch full games or full game cut-ups.

So no, you don’t have any evidence. Got ya...thanks for the stock reply of every wannabe internet scout though. Saw it coming a mile away honestly

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So no, you don’t have any evidence. Got ya...thanks for the stock reply of every wannabe internet scout though. Saw it coming a mile away honestly
I'm not going to edit video myself to post here. Not sure how else somebody would provide proof.

tm1119

Reaction score
Watch his game tape. Lots of body catches. I don't agree with him much, but on this 100 percent I do.

Body catches don’t mean anything...Michael Irvin was a terrible WR then right? If TWill could securely catch the ball with his body no one would care. And I see plenty of times where
Chark makes nice catches away from his body, and thought he handled the gauntlet at the combine just fine.
Not to mention you don’t draft a 6’3 WR with sub 4.4 speed for his ability to be a possession WR.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Body catches don’t mean anything...Michael Irvin was a terrible WR then right? If TWill could securely catch the ball with his body no one would care. And I see plenty of times where
Chark makes nice catches away from his body, and thought he handled the gauntlet at the combine just fine.
Not to mention you don’t draft a 6’3 WR with sub 4.4 speed for his ability to be a possession WR.
Body catches don't mean anything? Tell that to Terrance ball bounces off my hands almost every time Williams

Tristan

Reaction score
Based on what?
Zactly, one guy trying hard to shove his weak opinion fown everbodies throat, just because he keeps saying it doesnt make it true. The fact that almost every true scout who knows football gas him ranked as a high first rounder shows how off base he is. Im sure he can push desean jackson around too? So what, powerlifters cant play no ball

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/09/12/dj-chark-vs-byu-2017/

http://draftbreakdown.com/2017/12/04/d-j-chark-vs-tennessee-2017/

The 1st play in the auburn game is only play that I had a problem with. What do you see that says he can’t catch?

You have your mind made up regardless of what I say.

He is not natural catching the ball.

Not really quick in/out of breaks. He does have success on double moves because college CBs have to respect his speed.

Simplistic route runner in college.

Stats are very low compared to other WRs in this draft.

Speed against college DBs allowed him many uncontested catches.

He is tall, fast and gives effort as a blocker.

TWill had similar subtle clues about not being natural at catching the ball.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yuck.

Faster version of TWill.
Was exactly the comparison I thought of.
Inconsistent with hands, big, NFL body but needs refinement in virtually every area but blocking.
At 81 he'd be a nice pick up, but I'd much rather have 6-7 other WRs.

Jake0

Reaction score
His metrics are not that far off from Calvin Freakin' Johnson. If he dominated college and showed the routes/hands Megatron did he'd be in the discussion with Saquon Barkley on who to take first overall.

This is a 2nd rounder with upside but a fit day 1 as a roleplayer that fills MANY roles. He will be useful day 1 without being a polished receiver due to his speed, rushing ability, run blocking, and special teams.

He is much more athletic than TWill overall (vertical, broad jump, etc) and obviously the speed difference gives him a completely different role that compliments Dez rather than conflicting with it. TWill's game is short/intermediate and being a body catcher is catastrophic in those situations. Being a deep ball catcher is different.

There are other safer picks at receiver this draft, but they clash with Dez/TWill/Beas/Witten rather than compliment them.

Some other options are Deon Cain, James Washington, Anthony Miller, Antonio Callaway. Ridley or Moore would be terrible choices at #19 IMO. Burning #19 on a WR is not good.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak doesn't throw a good deep ball. The burner wideout does not fit his skill set. What Dak needs is short area quickness that can get separation so he doesn't need to make throws into tight windows. Think Cole Beasley and how those tow clicked before teams started bracketing him.

The prototype of that type of receiver is OBJ. DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley are the two closest to that ideal.

Calvin Ridley is not as bad a blocker as people claim and he is actually pretty good at making contested catches. He would mesh well at the Z and slot with Dez all over the formation.

I think Moore is a specimen. I would trade up in the second to get him.