This is coming from a Dak Fan

John813

Reaction score
IIRC the penalty for holding out under the new CBA is 40k per day, and it cant be forgiven.

I could be wrong but I think that's what it is.

For most players, yes I agree. But QB money? Not so much.

If he misses an entire training camp that's less than 3 million, when at that point they are probably arguing over 50-100 million.

New one is much more severe. And the fines can't be reversed by the team.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/27/new-cba-will-make-it-harder-to-hold-out/

First, the daily training-camp fines would become mandatory for players operating under their second contracts. That’s a huge difference, given that most teams usually wipe the slate clean once the player reports. So when, for example, a player incurs $40,000 per day for staying away from camp for 10 days, the full $400,000 comes from his pocket, and neither he nor the team can do anything about it.

And forget about $40,000 per day. Second, the amounts of the fines would be “substantially increased.” The specific numbers aren’t yet known.

Third, the player will lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town or by leaving camp for more than five days.

JBS

Reaction score
Because it makes no sense. You like him enough to give him a long term deal but don't like him enough to give him 4 years instead of 5. You tell me that makes sense to you?

I dont think it's quite this simple.

It's a negotiation. Each side gives in a little to come to an agreement. If Dallas has already made their concession on money (who knows if they have or have not) and they're asking daks side to budge a little...then yes, it absolutely can be a deal breaker..we don't have any information other than one side wants 4 and the other side wants 5...it would be foolish to think that after all this time that there's no other pieces to the puzzle..whether those pieces are solved or not, is not the whole story

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I dont think it's quite this simple.

It's a negotiation. Each side gives in a little to come to an agreement. If Dallas has already made their concession on money (who knows if they have or have not) and they're asking daks side to budge a little...then yes, it absolutely can be a deal breaker..we don't have any information other than one side wants 4 and the other side wants 5...it would be foolish to think that after all this time that there's no other pieces to the puzzle..whether those pieces are solved or not, is not the whole story
Well this is all about what's been released thus far. What's been released thus far is they are stuck on a one year. And we can sit here and pretend like Dak and France are the difficult ones here but France had no problem getting Tannenhill overpaid.

fivetwos

Reaction score
New one is much more severe. And the fines can't be reversed by the team.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/27/new-cba-will-make-it-harder-to-hold-out/

First, the daily training-camp fines would become mandatory for players operating under their second contracts. That’s a huge difference, given that most teams usually wipe the slate clean once the player reports. So when, for example, a player incurs $40,000 per day for staying away from camp for 10 days, the full $400,000 comes from his pocket, and neither he nor the team can do anything about it.

And forget about $40,000 per day. Second, the amounts of the fines would be “substantially increased.” The specific numbers aren’t yet known.

Third, the player will lose an accrued season toward free agency by failing to show up for camp on town or by leaving camp for more than five days.
When you're talking about a QB contract I dont see how any of that would discourage a player from holding out.

The money is nothing in comparison. He doesnt need to get to free agency, that's the overall point...he is unhappy w his contract.

Now if theres something else in there as far as the unknown, then maybe.

Either way, having an unhappy QB doesnt help, and Im not sure why the team is so adamant right now about potentially creating that scenario.

JBS

Reaction score
Well this is all about what's been released thus far. What's been released thus far is they are stuck on a one year. And we can sit here and pretend like Dak and France are the difficult ones here but France had no problem getting Tannenhill overpaid.

I'm not pretending anything. I fully believe Stephen and Jerry are the problem. They've proven over recent years that they are pretty darn cheap. That doesn't matter to me. I like dak, I think he's a good qb. Probably around top 10. But I dont think it's a problem if you explore your options, look for trade partners and or replacements. It's not like he's irreplaceable

MarcusRock

Reaction score
While I hate the business side of football I don't begrudge any player trying to get the best deal they can. Dak had a lot of expectations placed on him as one of the cheapest paid QB in the league and never cried about it, now he will looking to get paid and in the end I think the 2 sides will reach a deal. Worse case is he plays on tag this year.

Not only that but Dak played out his entire contract, which is what the "I used to be a fan of Zeke but ..." crowd was citing when Zeke wanted to negotiate a new contract. Now those same "no new deals" folks are saying that Dak is greedy. Lol.

This is why you get what you can when you can as a player and ignore the piker peanut gallery.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not pretending anything. I fully believe Stephen and Jerry are the problem. They've proven over recent years that they are pretty darn cheap. That doesn't matter to me. I like dak, I think he's a good qb. Probably around top 10. But I dont think it's a problem if you explore your options, look for trade partners and or replacements. It's not like he's irreplaceable
I have no problem with them doing that either if that's what they're doing. But once again it makes no sense. You should've been looking for trade partners a year or two ago.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Plus Dak played out his entire contract, which is what the "I used to be a fan of Zeke" crowd was citing when Zeke wanted to negotiate a new contract. Now those same "no new deals" folks are saying that Dak is greedy. Lol.

People complain about big contract I know I have as well. However I also understand it is what it is. I don't think Russell Wilson is the best QB in the NFL or should be the highest paid but he is. I think in the end Dallas and Dak get a longer term deal done and the tag will get removed. I don't think Cowboys want to use this tag and Dak like any other player does not want the franchise tag placed on them. Right now it is a means to continue talks if talks fail at least the Cowboys have him secured for the season.

JBS

Reaction score
I have no problem with them doing that either if that's what they're doing. But once again it makes no sense. You should've been looking for trade partners a year or two ago.

Yeah whether it makes sense or not is a different argument. Maybe they didn't expect things to be this difficult. They aren't exactly the brightest bunch. I prefer to keep dak. 4 years - 5 years..as I said, that's not the issue to me..but if things can't get done...I think we are in a good spot to find a suitable replacement...it won't be easy..I'm also not confident we have the right bunch to figure it out successfully..so if I had to chose..I'd rather keep dak

John813

Reaction score
When you're talking about a QB contract I dont see how any of that would discourage a player from holding out.

The money is nothing in comparison. He doesnt need to get to free agency, that's the overall point...he is unhappy w his contract.

Now if theres something else in there as far as the unknown, then maybe.

Either way, having an unhappy QB doesnt help, and Im not sure why the team is so adamant right now about potentially creating that scenario.

Well, we don't know the exact sum of the fines yet. Could be a % to the current contract or 100k+ a day.

I don't get the hoopla now over his contract. And who knows if Dak is pissed now or realizes it's part of the game.
It's April, and everything is suspended. They got till July to get the deal done.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Whether one likes Dak or not, it's always good for the team to have options when it comes contract time for any player. That evens out the leverage situation so neither side has the upper hand.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm somewhat indifferent on #4 overall.

I do think our best chance to win anytime soon is with him and I hope they get him signed.

But at some point you have to, as an organization, either consider meeting his demands, or seriously begin to look at plan B.

Just because they havent publicly said it doesnt mean they arent, but I just fail to see the benefit of the usual let it drag on until damage is done, then cave anyway.

rags747

Reaction score
Dak has the Boys over a barrel and he knows it. While I would not mind making a play for Tua it ain’t happening. Jerry loves Dak and what he stands for. At the end of the day both sides will give in somewhat. I see 4 years with an option for a 5th, right around that $34m level.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
A quarterback who is willing to sit out an entire offseason under a new head coach as part of contract negotiations concerns me. That position is judged almost singularly on wins and losses, and Dak knows this as well as anyone. He's willing to jeopardize this season over his contract. Who was the last big-time QB to pull such a move?

John813

Reaction score
A quarterback who is willing to sit out an entire offseason under a new head coach as part of contract negotiations concerns me. That position is judged almost singularly on wins and losses, and Dak knows this as well as anyone. He's willing to jeopardize this season over his contract. Who was the last big-time QB to pull such a move?

Until he actually does it, it's just talk.

More than likely, he probably would skip MC(if there is one) but probably report to TC(if there still is one).

He played through his 4th year for peanuts. I don't think he'll pull a Zeke and risk having a bad year cause the HC/OC is on one wavelength, but he's on another.

dckid

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I like dak. But if this contract can't get done. I'm ok trading him and moving on.
I am all for moving off of him. We fans seem to be using common sense but the front office refuses to even have a viable alternative.
I wish our Front office could be smart just once. Case Keenum signed a contract with the Browns. Imagine if we had just a serviceable guy like Keenum to dangle in front of Dak. There would be none of this nonsense of not showing up to Virtual mini camps or whatever.
Dak is very good and he is not elite like Wilson, Brees, Rodgers, types..
I am not saying Keenum is better than Dak, so please do not over react and throw the baby out with the bath water. Keenum took the Vikes to a championship game so he is also not chopped liver.
Our team on offense can function with a bus driver type. There should be some competition with these QB's who are not elite buy asking for the world type money.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I am pro Dak, and I think that he should get paid. I think he is a better player than most of you do, and I think he has upside.

Having said the forgoing, it seems like Dak is trying to become the highest paid player ever. I think that’s really short sighted. This is a really bad look for Dak and is really souring me on Dak.

While Dak is doing everything that he can to get every dollar he can from the Cowboys, they would be remiss to not give a really hard look at drafting a QB high. If I were the Cowboys and an acceptable substitute is there when they are on the clock they have to take a good hard look at pulling the trigger on him.
Let me re-educate you and Cowboy fans. Dak Prescott played out his rookie contract with no holdouts, no off field infractions, going to 3 Pro Bowls in 4 years, not having a losing record with Jason Garrett as his head coach, went through 2 offensive coordinators, qualified for 2 playoff appearances, and a playoff win with that 4 year rookie contract.

Stop counting another man's money especially one that gave your Dumbo GM 4 years of discounted services with Jerry Jones keeping the money, did not add any value to the team to help him (cut Dez, traded for Cooper was a wash) in free agency or the draft, cut his no. 1 WR, let his number 1 TE retire and comeback a year older and out of service, went through the Dumbo GM delaying his number 1 RB suspension hurting his 2017 playoff chance, and slaps a franchise tag on him basically delaying the inevitable.

If you want to win a Super Bowl, I would not trust Jerry Jones with a long term deal. He has proven he is about relevancy and not championships. So Dak, go get your money lil Duffle bag boy!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I can't get what I want so I'm not going to act right. If that's a players mindset then the team should move on from him. And it doesn't matter who they are to me. Dak, Zeke, Tank whomever. Goodbye and good riddance. I understand the art of negotiations but when your not acting like a team player then your not playing on my team. Even during negotiations I want a player to show up for meetings and practices. If you can't conduct yourself like a professional, goodbye.
:popcorn:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am pro Dak, and I think that he should get paid. I think he is a better player than most of you do, and I think he has upside.

Having said the forgoing, it seems like Dak is trying to become the highest paid player ever. I think that’s really short sighted. This is a really bad look for Dak and is really souring me on Dak.

While Dak is doing everything that he can to get every dollar he can from the Cowboys, they would be remiss to not give a really hard look at drafting a QB high. If I were the Cowboys and an acceptable substitute is there when they are on the clock they have to take a good hard look at pulling the trigger on him.

Time for Jerry to put on his wheel and deal hat and move up and get us a quality QB prospect.
It's pretty evident that not only does Dak not deserve to be the highest-paid player in the NFL but simply is a failed experiment and needs to be axed.
There's always hope as till today he has not been given what he desires most .....a contract!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Franchise tag for 2 years with a major focus on the QB run. If he can win a super bowl pay him whatever. If he can't then bye bye.