This is coming from a Dak Fan

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can someone explain the contractual implications of Dak being tagged (yes, I know there have been other posts on this subject, but with the new CBA there appears to be confusion or misunderstanding): does he have to "sign" the tag offer; what he he holds out all camp; can he be traded?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yes, but that was in 2019. It was about $28M more than he actually made I believe. That is a lot of money to leave on the table. A lot of ground to make up.
What you're saying is, because he made less in the past it wasnt as much of an insult, which is counterintuitive.

We offered him $5M less than his peers who he had outperformed to that point. That's why we are where we are.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
You said there were so many other receivers that were more effecient with less around them. That's what I replied to.

Now you're saying efficiency doesnt matter? Weird.

But yes, an effecient passing game is the absolute best way to win in the NFL.

By the way, Wentz has plenty around him. He has an all pro pass catcher in Ertz, way better offensive line, and a much better receiving back in Sanders. It isnt all doom and gloom over there.

Tannehill, with a terrible team took them to the playoffs. Beat NE and Baltimore in the season. Dak is not worth the money he is asking if 40m is actually true. Hope I am wrong but not sure he can lead us to the Super Bowl. Is he a top tier QB? Look I don’t hate the guy I have been a supporter of him, I have lost respect for him for his stupidity he just pulled off though.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
What you're saying is, because he made less in the past it wasnt as much of an insult, which is counterintuitive.

We offered him $5M less than his peers who he had outperformed to that point. That's why we are where we are.

No, that is not what I said.

When the Team offered Dak an "insulting" $30M, that was admittedly below market at that time (2019). But- it was a mutually beneficial proposal because the Cowboys could sign him for less, and Dak could pocket a LOT more money sooner. Instead, Dak left about $28M on the table last season, and declined the offer.

Let's say Dak signs for 4 years. $28M divided over four years is $7M, so Dak's new contract would have to pay him an additional $7M/yr. just to break even, and that ignores the time value of money.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Tannehill, with a terrible team took them to the playoffs. Beat NE and Baltimore in the season. Dak is not worth the money he is asking if 40m is actually true. Hope I am wrong but not sure he can lead us to the Super Bowl. Is he a top tier QB? Look I don’t hate the guy I have been a supporter of him, I have lost respect for him for his stupidity he just pulled off though.

How'd Aikman do leading his teams to SB's without pro bowlers everywhere (offense & defense)?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No, that is not what I said.

When the Team offered Dak an "insulting" $30M, that was admittedly below market at that time (2019). But- it was a mutually beneficial proposal because the Cowboys could sign him for less, and Dak could pocket a LOT more money sooner. Instead, Dak left about $28M on the table last season, and declined the offer.

Let's say Dak signs for 4 years. $28M divided over four years is $7M, so Dak's new contract would have to pay him an additional $7M/yr. just to break even, and that ignores the time value of money.

Wait you do know that the last year of the contract wouldn't have just disappeared, right?

If we had signed him for 4yr/$100M extension last year, it would have actually been a 5yr contract with $100M added.
It wouldn't have just replaced $1M with $25M like your post reads.

There's no way around this, Dak made the right move for him financially and it's about to pay off big time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How'd Aikman do leading his teams to SB's without pro bowlers everywhere (offense & defense)?

Well, it's actually kind of interesting. In the 92/93 season, the Cowboys and Troy had 6 Pro Bowlers on the team. That season, the team went on to win the Super Bowl.

Last season, we had 6 Pro Bowlers. We went 8-8.

I think it's kind of a mixed bag.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Well, it's actually kind of interesting. In the 92/93 season, the Cowboys and Troy had 6 Pro Bowlers on the team. That season, the team went on to win the Super Bowl.

Last season, we had 6 Pro Bowlers. We went 8-8.

I think it's kind of a mixed bag.

On defense he had more talent.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
To get out earlier of his contract. By taking the shorter contract, he is guaranteeing he won't be the highest paid player unlike the OPs claim.

First your answer is just your last post in other words. Its trival that he will get earlier out of a contract that is shorter then an other contract.

Second i think you are trying to pin on a sentence from the op just so you can get around the point he is making. And that is also the reason you dont want to answer my question.

So again: why do you think Dak wants a shorter contract ?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
First your answer is just your last post in other words. Its trival that he will get earlier out of a contract that is shorter then an other contract.

Second i think you are trying to pin on a sentence from the op just so you can get around the point he is making. And that is also the reason you dont want to answer my question.

If it was trivial, then why ask it? And then ask it a second time. Sounds really silly to me.

To get out earlier after the CAP explodes. If he wanted to be on record as the highest paid player ever he would sign a longer term contract with more money included.

So: why would Dak want a shorter term contract if he wanted to be known for being the highest paid player in the NFL?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

But saying I'm pinning one sentence from the OP.....

When this was the actual exert
"Having said the forgoing, it seems like Dak is trying to become the highest paid player ever. I think that’s really short sighted. This is a really bad look for Dak and is really souring me on Dak."

Almost half of his entire post. Pretty misleading on your part.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't watch NFL games because of the millions of dollars the players make and I hate as a fan being bombarded by all of nauseating details of contract negotiations. It sucks all the fun out of it. I'm sure by the season opener they will have somebody under contract at the QB position and hopefully he'll be a pretty good one that doesn't bankrupt the salary cap for the rest of the players.
Brother,, that's depressing.
I found years ago that I just enjoy the game.
I try and separate as much as I can from the BS of the game, and just watch the talent,, all teams.. but I will always be a Cowboys fan.
That doesn't mean that I have to agree or disagree with any of the contract BS,, just strap on the helmet and start hitting.

morasp

Reaction score
Brother,, that's depressing.
I found years ago that I just enjoy the game.
I try and separate as much as I can from the BS of the game, and just watch the talent,, all teams.. but I will always be a Cowboys fan.
That doesn't mean that I have to agree or disagree with any of the contract BS,, just strap on the helmet and start hitting.
Same here. I used to worry about injuries etc. and finally just decided they'll probably find enough guys take the field.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak is trying to make the MOST OUT OF LESS! Unfortunately, with both his 8-8 record last year & this sudden thirst for GREED, he's just not that good of a QB to be making all these demands.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, on that 92-93 team, there were no Pro Bowl players on Defense. I believe they were all Offense.

Elite talent & great depth...
Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, Jim Jeffcoat, Tony Casillas, Russell Maryland, Chad Hennings, Leon Lett, Jimmie Jones, Ken Norton, Godfrey Miles, Dixon Edwards, Robert Jones, Kevin Smith, Issiac Holt, Larry Brown, Darren Woodson, Thomas Everett, James Washington, Ray Horton, Bill Bates, Kenneth Gant.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Dak is trying to make the MOST OUT OF LESS! Unfortunately, with both his 8-8 record last year & this sudden thirst for GREED, he's just not that good of a QB to be making all these demands.

He slumped at the because of his shoulder injury. If Dak is not that good with your high standards, neither was Aikman.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Elite talent & great depth...
Charles Haley, Tony Tolbert, Jim Jeffcoat, Tony Casillas, Russell Maryland, Chad Hennings, Leon Lett, Jimmie Jones, Ken Norton, Godfrey Miles, Dixon Edwards, Robert Jones, Kevin Smith, Issiac Holt, Larry Brown, Darren Woodson, Thomas Everett, James Washington, Ray Horton, Bill Bates, Kenneth Gant.

But none of them were Pro Bowlers that year.