CFZ This is definitely a season to “go for it”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is absolutely awful at rebuilding. He covets his own players way too much.
100% true. Jerry is a money-making genius. As a roster building GM he’s horrible. He’s basically a rich fantasy football guy.

Without Will McClay we would be lost in the wilderness of drafts like 2009 or trades like Joey Galloway and Roy Williams. He not only covets his own players, he loves his own moves too much. Waits way too long to cut his losses from mistakes. All GMs make mistakes, but the ones whose jobs are on the line are quick to admit their mistakes and cut their losses.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Purdy has a knack that you can't teach. Watched him several times. His floor is Brad Johnson, who wasn't a bad QB. Ceiling is a Joe Montana type. Dude really played well last season. Freaky good. He wasn't good just because of the system or team, it was much more than that. He knows where to go w/ the ball.
agree. They put their rookie QB in a situation where he could thrive and it showed. The good teams do this. We tend to always complicate matters. KM is case and point.
Remember Dak's first year? Nobody had film on him at the NFL level... That's why he did as well as he did.... Give it some time... I (myself) didn't see anything that stands out with Purdy any more than I didn't see anything that really stood out with Dak.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every season is a go for it season. No team prepares during the offseason to tank. I don’t care what your record was the previous season every team is looking to improve and has their sights on the playoffs and Super Bowl for the upcoming season. If things go wrong and you start losing games and you reach the point where it’s a lost season, then you have teams that will throw in the towel looking ahead to the draft and a high draft pick.

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score
With the departure of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady from the NFC, it has been mentioned many times on this forum lately how “wide open” the NFC is for the taking going into the 2023 season. I totally agree.

NOW - this season- is the time to push all the chips you can responsibly push to go for it; to do everything feasible to put together a roster that can be more than just “relevant”. NOW Is the time for this front office to take some risks to make this team BETTER. Now is NOT the time to be risk averse. If Jerry has anything left in the tank to once again be that “wildcatter” he used to claim to be, NOW is the time to go for it.

I don’t know about anyone else, but after the last 28 seasons of not even winning a divisional playoff game, what have we got to lose by “going for it” this year? If we strike out at least we swung for the fences.

To me, listening to Stephen Jones explain why the salary cap limitations prevent us from doing things is like watching a hitter in baseball take a called third strike with two out with men on base. At least go down swinging! What are we afraid of? The 29th straight year of what we’ve been doing?

So with the draft ahead and the last parts of free agency afterward, these are some moves I want to see- needs that if addressed will obviously make us better immediately:
  • Offensive Playmakers- WR, RB and TE. Right now our playmakers are Tony Pollard, Cedee Lamb and Brandin Cooks. Getting Cooks was a big improvement, but we need another RB, another WR and a playmaking TE. I like Ferguson but he’s not enough IMO. I believe we will get some help there in the draft.
  • Run stuffers- IDL and LB- as much as our defense has improved the last two years, we are STILL vulnerable against the run. If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we MUST upgrade these two positions. I’m glad we resigned Hankins, but folks, he’s not enough. I love the Gilmore trade, but that won’t help our run defense. We need a road grader that can help immediately. We need a LB that can be a beast against the run. LVE is adequate but he’s not enough, not to mention he’s an injury risk.
  • OL Help- Tyler Smith was a great addition last year, but we are still very vulnerable here. I love Tyron Smith- he has truly been greatness for a long time. But folks we cannot count on this guy. He’s missed 32 games the last 3 seasons! Terance Steele will not be back until maybe October. Our OL needs some upgrading and depth. The Chuma Edoga signing is a good one year stop gap. We need more help here.
I commend the start to this off-season by our FO. The trades for Cooks and Gilmore look great. I like that they have been more assertive this off-season. But there is a ton of work left to be done. It’s time to go for it! If we fail after pushing all the chips forward, I would at least feel like we took a swing instead of just taking a called third strike.

Jimmy Johnson used to say “you make your own luck“ most of the time. Let‘s go for it NOW!
I agree with your premise but disagree it has anything to do with Rodgers or Brady who are both aging QBs that were on mediocre teams.

I absolutely think that the NFC is there for the taking and I also (without derailing the thread) think we need to make a decision on what is a huge part of our core: Dak, Diggs, CeeDee and Pollard. Before we dole out huge deals to them we need to know if each will be worth the cap hit for 4 or 5 years minimum. There is always another player that can be brought in if any of them aren't going to be worth their HUGE (except for TP) cap hits, not just for the following season but for many seasons because we will be tied to them if we extend. So I think decisions we need to make on our own team are equally part of why we should "go for it"

Surfguy

Reaction score
th

Sorry...I meant...
th

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When I hear SJ talking about “being careful” with spending and moves, I keep thinking, why? What are we afraid of? Having a 29th straight season of the same? I would rather fail “going for it” than just be “relevant” in the way of just making the playoffs only to exit early.
The Cowboys have some big contracts coming up with Parsons, Diggs, and CeeDee. Parsons is going to want to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. Depending on the season Diggs has he might want to be the highest paid CB in the league. If CeeDee has another productive season he’s going to be looking for a big contract. It’s not going to be easy signing all three of those players. One could end up being the odd man out. If you’re not careful with your spending it’s hard to keep your team together with a salary cap. You always have to look ahead to upcoming contracts. Player salaries continue to go up. You can’t just put it all into one season and go for broke.

It worked for the Rams but they went from winning the Super Bowl to the basement in the NFC West in one season. Look at all the players they’ve lost in the past year. The Cowboys have had some very talented teams go nowhere in the playoffs. They’ve had teams that have under achieved and continue to play down to their competition. The team has had issues staying motivated from week to week. We don’t know what Cowboys team is going to show up each week. It would be incredibly demoralizing to the fanbase to watch the team load up for one season only to fail. Talent hasn’t been the Cowboys biggest issue.

kskboys

Reaction score
agree. They put their rookie QB in a situation where he could thrive and it showed. The good teams do this. We tend to always complicate matters. KM is case and point.
1. Our personnel mgmt is so bad that our rooks must play like vets to be successful.

2. Jerry appears to be completely incapable to see a problem looming until it is blatantly obvious, so the rooks he acquires to fix the problem must play well immediately.

3. We have this idea of what we want, so we continuously shove square pegs into round holes.

4. They have a D complete w/ a LOS owning DLine.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have some big contracts coming up with Parsons, Diggs, and CeeDee. Parsons is going to want to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. Depending on the season Diggs has he might want to be the highest paid CB in the league. If CeeDee has another productive season he’s going to be looking for a big contract. It’s not going to be easy signing all three of those players. One could end up being the odd man out. If you’re not careful with your spending it’s hard to keep your team together with a salary cap. You always have to look ahead to upcoming contracts. Player salaries continue to go up. You can’t just put it all into one season and go for broke.

It worked for the Rams but they went from winning the Super Bowl to the basement in the NFC West in one season. Look at all the players they’ve lost in the past year. The Cowboys have had some very talented teams go nowhere in the playoffs. They’ve had teams that have under achieved and continue to play down to their competition. The team has had issues staying motivated from week to week. We don’t know what Cowboys team is going to show up each week. It would be incredibly demoralizing to the fanbase to watch the team load up for one season only to fail. Talent hasn’t been the Cowboys biggest issue.
Regarding the rams and their one year “all in” 2021 season that ended with a Lombardi trophy: I would rather do a one season all in Lombardi accomplishment in exchange for 28 seasons of “relevance” and all its 5 wild card wins… in a single heartbeat.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think what we are seeing this year is Jerry's version of "going-for-it". This may be the best we will see in the offseason from this team under this ownership.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Regarding the rams and their one year “all in” 2021 season that ended with a Lombardi trophy: I would rather do a one season all in Lombardi accomplishment in exchange for 28 seasons of “relevance” and all its 5 wild card wins… in a single heartbeat.
I don’t believe if the Cowboys went the all in route it would end that way for them. The Rams have a very energetic young coach who led them to the Super Bowl three years earlier with a lesser QB. The Rams had never won a Super Bowl in Los Angeles and with the Super Bowl being in their new stadium, they felt it was worth the risk to go all in. It paid off, but now they’re paying the price. McCarthy hasn’t proven to be the answer so far and it’s anyone’s guess how these new coaching changes are going to pan out. It’s simply not worth risking your future for one season, especially when your starting QB has regressed. The teams that won it all by going all in, Tampa and the Rams changed QBs.

rambo2

Reaction score
Right. As Garoppolo is gone, as he was big factor in the past 2 years or more of any success they had. They decide to move onto. Lance, thinking he is the next Mahomes, but he was injured game 1.

Back to Jimmy G. When he was injured, they hit lightning in a bottle with Purdy. Winning within a great offensive system and surrounding skill players, once they got CMC to help. And with the best defense which helps any QB.

They could come way back down to Earth with either QB.
Purdy may never be the same with the arm injury. Lance may be an absolute bust. Then we have Sam Darnold a first rounder who saw ghosts on the field.

kskboys

Reaction score
Remember Dak's first year? Nobody had film on him at the NFL level... That's why he did as well as he did.... Give it some time... I (myself) didn't see anything that stands out with Purdy any more than I didn't see anything that really stood out with Dak.
Well, they are/were completely different in their rook years. Not even in the same chapter. Or book. Dak did not do what Purdy has done so far.

It's so weird seeing people proclaim they didn't see anything different w/ Purdy. Just strange.

kskboys

Reaction score
Are you familiar with his arm injury?
If you are referring strictly to his arm injury, you should say so.

I have no idea how or if he can come back. Not a SF fan, so I have no idea the extent of the damage. However, most QBs come back just fine from arm injuries.

75boyz

Reaction score
Great and simple response.
Me too.
Many, and I mean a huge amount here, prefer "never winning a trophy" if it means having to sacrifice a few losing seasons.

They are the ones I ig or scroll past regularly.

The regular season guys AND their regular season glory.
Their end game explanation posts for why they are so caught up in regular season glory sound like a scripted Jones family speech.

Pathetic.

rambo2

Reaction score
If you are referring strictly to his arm injury, you should say so.

I have no idea how or if he can come back. Not a SF fan, so I have no idea the extent of the damage. However, most QBs come back just fine from arm injuries.
He may never be the same.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He may never be the same.
this is true of any injured player. Depends on the injury, and how hard they work at overcoming it.
Purdy had a UCL injury, and instead of the common repair which didnt yield good results, he went with some sort of brace.
I hope it enables him to be able to throw with no issues, but only time will tell.