Twitter: This is disturbing

dckid

Reaction score
Shades of Marion Barber after he got paid. 2016 zeke takes that to the house. Is it really possible to lose that much speed in 3 seasons? You can see Frederick is pretty upset...

I noticed that when the play happened, and no I'm not tooting my own horn. This has been Zekes problem from his rookie year. He has really poor vision and breaking runs to the second level.
Plenty of RB's would have cut that outside, hell even a player like Jones from the Packers takes that for at least 40 yards.

This is why I always think its important to get Zeke on this misdirection, sweeps, tosses. It will give him an opportunity to break these runs every once in a while. He has the speed but just needs to get better vision.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Shades of Marion Barber after he got paid. 2016 zeke takes that to the house. Is it really possible to lose that much speed in 3 seasons? You can see Frederick is pretty upset...

This is the EXACT play I was talking about. Doesn't know how to set up a block. Not patient either. All he had to do was wait a half a second for Frederick to engage and then hit the outside and that is 100% a TD. And what does the idiot do? Turn it into the middle where all the defenders are.

Paying Zeke idiot was the WORST contract we have ever done.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We just need to get Zeke more rushing attempts so he can vault up the rushing leader list. At least then we can say he's led the league in rushing 3 of the past 4 years and would be 4 years in a row if he had more attempts in 2017 instead of missing games.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
By that logic the answer is for every RB to always cut outside because there are fewer defenders outside. That doesn't work - if a RB gets the mentality of always going laterally to avoid contact, he his not going to end up being productive. In this particular case, the DB was already outside, so it appeared that opportunity wasn't going to be there. So Zeke cut upfield, and the DB did a good job of moving past the blocker to the inside.

He baited Zeke to go inside with less space and near another player. You're broad brushing every situation as the same, I'm discussing THIS play alone. You get to the outside, Zeke has one on one with a guy - I have absolutely no idea why anyone thinks running between tackles with a defender coming down on you is a better situation then hitting the outside and getting a one on with a player with some space.

Zeke missed an opportunity and the Barkley highlights I provided showed just this, hitting the outside and getting away from multiple defenders.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He baited Zeke to go inside with less space and near another player. You're broad brushing every situation as the same, I'm discussing THIS play alone. You get to the outside, Zeke has one on one with a guy - I have absolutely no idea why anyone thinks running between tackles with a defender coming down on you is a better situation then hitting the outside and getting a one on with a player with some space.

Zeke missed an opportunity and the Barkley highlights I provided showed just this, hitting the outside and getting away from multiple defenders.
He did bait Zeke … and the O-Lineman (was it Frederick?). He made a good play. It happens. But Zeke didn't have the benefit you do of watching in replay and seeing how the whole thing plays out. He had to make an instant decision while moving at full speed with bodies moving in the front of him and pursuing from the side and back. Plus, there was a 315 lb O-Lineman blocking his view of the DB some of the time. It's easy to play armchair QB sitting at a computer with slow motion replay, but that's not real world.

As for discussing THIS play alone, your argument was that Zeke should have cut outside because there are fewer potential tacklers to the outside than there are to the inside. Well, that is not unique to THIS play alone. That's pretty much always the case unless the situation occurs downfield with the D-Linemen and LBs still near the line of scrimmage. Accordingly, that is not a strong argument. You can't simply say the right way is to avoid contact at all by running to the area where there are fewer tacklers. A RB has to make a choice as to what move is likely to get the most yards. And, all in all, I think the preference for most fans and coaches is to have a RB who thinks in terms of running North/South rather than East/West.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Why people think zeke is a speed back i have no idea. Zeke's strength is his ability to grind out yards. He's a great runner, blocker and he can catch. He's also very durable, has elite vision (maybe not on that play). Zeke is fine to me.

Second half of that game i noticed him just putting his head down and grinding out yards. We have much bigger issues than zeke.

He's sixth in the nfl in rushing. If thats an average start i'm ok with it.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Zeke's on pace for like 1,700 yards from scrimmage and 13 TDs. Not seeing the big drop-off there. It's mostly due to him being given fewer touches early in the year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's widely known that Zeke is a party animal. That's never a good thing for an NFL RB. He's been on a slow but steady decline, imho.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If he just stays that in same position relative to Frederick, the defender can slow play it and they'll end up at the sideline.

From a Zeke decision perspective, he has to assume that running downfield at OLineman speed will result in somebody coming from behind him to make the tackle.

He obviously can't see if anybody is behind him.

I do think Zeke would have gained more than 12 yards by staying to the outside, but I think the best chance to take it to the house was to cut back inside.

The defender just made a great play to reverse direction and make the tackle while avoiding Frederick.

I think more often than not Zeke would have won on the cut back to the inside against the one Safety.

About people behind Zeke, he should have some sense of where players are on the field. He started with all the defenders in front of him. Just like QBs, RBs need a clock for guys who moved out of their line of sight.

If the defender just "slow plays" eventually he gets run over by Frederick at the sideline, if he doesn't screw up his angles and get run over before that.

With the two guys coming from midfield, cutting inside was a loser when he did it. They would have tackled him if Mayes hadn't.