This is why Staubach is revered around here

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol! You think this thread would have been started if we were stilling the playoffs? C'mon....
Well we're not, dont know what the big deal is.....Cowboys stop.losing early in playoffs and these threads would stop.

rguido

Reaction score
That's why qb's today can play as rookies and have good seasons. Take the QBs today and play them back then like Holmes and Allen and such, the wouldn't last 5 games before their season or career ending.

GMO415

Reaction score

Wins is a team stat....fine. But isnt it amazing how GREAT QBs and wins are so closely correlated.

This is why Romo will never enter the HOF without a purchased ticket.

1942willys

Reaction score
as revered as he was, I could totally imagine the game thread during Roger's last playoff game when the Rams took the lead late and we didn't move the ball "fire the coach, Landry is a bum, game has passed him by, Roger washed, he lost to Vince Ferragamo, who cares about the SB in 1977, he sucks now, his mind is mush" etc
See you get cred when you have done what Roger had done for years/
I guess that kind of escapes you but that is not a surprise

1942willys

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I guess it’s my mistake for not clarifying I’ve had a bunch of people think I meant as far as physical play but I was more so talking about tougher completion. Naw….Deion wasn’t quite “tough” lol but he was a great player.
Well its your own fault; when you say TOUGH that has a certain meaning to the vast majority of people
and it aint about the competition level

BoysForLife

Reaction score
OF course he benefited from a great team management and a HOF coach
So what is your point?

Now if you want to talk talented players that got a raw deal Archie Manning is right up there
He's the president of that club for sure

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
LOL! Google 1978 rules changes to passing game. Youtube Mel Blount highlights. You couldnt be more wrong.
Exactly. Back then a defender could slam into a QB helmet-to-helmet, and it wouldn't be a personal foul unless he hit him VERY late. Then there was that rock hard artificial turf, astroturf, and helmets with much, much less padding. Receivers could be roughed up until the ball was in the air, and there was no such penalty as "hitting a defenseless receiver." A QB could not protect himself from hits by sliding (until toward the end of Staubach's career). It was therefore much, much harder to complete a pass, and if the QB ran, he was just like a running back who can't declare himself down until he stepped out of bounds. There was no exemption from intentional grounding if the QB is outside the pocket and throws it passed the line of scrimmage. If he threw it to someplace with no receiver at any point, it was grounding. It's why we'll probably never see a repeat of how Bob Lilly chased Bob Griese back 25 yards in Super Bowl 6.
I'm not glamorizing that era. Many of the changes have made the game better (although I HATE the illegal contact rule). Modern quarterbacks still have a complex and rough game to play, but it's absurd to say they have it tougher than the 70s era ones. The game was insanely rough in the 70s. You could say that Don Meredith played in a rougher era than Staubach, but any QB that followed him didn't.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well we're not, dont know what the big deal is.....Cowboys stop.losing early in playoffs and these threads would stop.
If all those that have said they were done with this team had the balls to do it, these threads would stop

jwitten82

Reaction score
If all those that have said they were done with this team had the balls to do it, these threads would stop
Bro, we just had one of the biggest let downs in team history. You can expect more threads in the future of people criticizing this team and they've earned every bit of criticism thrown at them.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
LOL! Google 1978 rules changes to passing game. Youtube Mel Blount highlights. You couldnt be more wrong.
LOL, when I saw his post I was thinking - you mean tougher than the Steel Curtain Steelers era. How was 70s football less tough. The Raiders all looked like they should be behind bars. A WR was actually paralyzed by a hit. LOL, Im pretty sure Staubachs era was very tough.