This is why Staubach is revered around here

morat1959

Reaction score
Here’s some perspective:
  • The Cowboys have 36 all time playoff wins.
  • Roger (13), Troy (11) and Danny White (5) were the QB in 29 of those 36 wins. That’s 80% of our playoff wins.
  • Tom Landry won 20 playoff games in 20 seasons between their first ever playoff game in 1966 and last playoff game he coached in 1985.
  • The Cowboys won 12 playoff games in the 90s.
  • So even more perspective: The Cowboys won 32 playoff games in 31 years: 1966-1996.
  • The Cowboys have won 4 playoff games in the last 28 years.
So 32 playoff wins in 31 seasons. Then 4 playoff wins the last 28 seasons. Wow. Wonder who is responsible for that stat?
You hit the nail on the head. Now here’s some stats I can buy into.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here’s some perspective:
  • The Cowboys have 36 all time playoff wins.
  • Roger (13), Troy (11) and Danny White (5) were the QB in 29 of those 36 wins. That’s 80% of our playoff wins.
  • Tom Landry won 20 playoff games in 20 seasons between their first ever playoff game in 1966 and last playoff game he coached in 1985.
  • The Cowboys won 12 playoff games in the 90s.
  • So even more perspective: The Cowboys won 32 playoff games in 31 years: 1966-1996.
  • The Cowboys have won 4 playoff games in the last 28 years.
So 32 playoff wins in 31 seasons. Then 4 playoff wins the last 28 seasons. Wow. Wonder who is responsible for that stat?
I wonder why you're still a fan?

CWR

Reaction score
Troy took some shots no doubt and was tough.
Just was a more physical game in the 70s vs the 90s.
I'm not arguing one way or another but I imagine the size and strength of the 90s athletes was far superior on a whole. I'm not referring to individuals but strength training and making it a year long commitment wasn't something that happened until pay was more commensurate with performance.

You can change my mind on that stance though, because I'm not positive.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Staubach was great but he was also blessed with some great teams. Great OL’s, Doomsday defense, a Hall of Fame back and WR and one of the all-time great coaches. His teams were loaded!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wonder why you feel obligated to question my fandom and correct my opinions?
Because all you do is complain about Jerry....we get it, he's not a good GM and you don't like him. How many times do you need to stir the pot. Do you have anything thing positive to post that can help the forum from becoming more and more toxic.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
We’re answering our own questions…how many hall of famers did Staubach have (and are still fighting to get in?), and what about Aikman? Now how many did Romo have? Prescott?

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Tough as in competition.
Not really, as it is relative to era. This argument crops up on NBA forums all the time too, although in the 70's, the NBA it is probably the weakest due to expansion. I would say that in the 80's you start seeing the average player being a bit better, especially filling out rosters. Average player size on the lines certainly started to creep up. But that also goes across the league, relative to speak.

Stars will be stars in any era. QB's like Roger, Johnny U., Bart Starr would fit in well at QB today, as would Troy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not really, as it is relative to era. This argument crops up on NBA forums all the time too, although in the 70's, the NBA it is probably the weakest due to expansion. I would say that in the 80's you start seeing the average player being a bit better, especially filling out rosters. Average player size on the lines certainly started to creep up. But that also goes across the league, relative to speak.

Stars will be stars in any era. QB's like Roger, Johnny U., Bart Starr would fit in well at QB today, as would Troy.
Possibly. But you lost the top 20 players of all time most of them will be 90s guys. I believe Troy faced tougher competition. Seems like Troy gets slandered around here as if he didn’t have to face great teams. He did.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because all you do is complain about Jerry....we get it, he's not a good GM and you don't like him. How many times do you need to stir the pot. Do you have anything thing positive to post that can help the forum from becoming more and more toxic.
Well, I’m sorry my opinions make you apparently feel obsessed to follow me around and repeatedly tell me in thread after thread why I’m not a fan. It seems like a lot of complaining.

Your opinions are fine with me as long as they are within the rules. If you disagree with my opinion, no problem. Just don’t tell any fan they aren’t a fan. And it might be a good idea to stop policing people’s opinions. That’s not my job or anyone else’s on this opinion forum. As long as those opinions follow the rules have at it.

Just don’t understand why you spend so much time complaining about my opinions…which you say is complaining. :D

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
No disrespect to Aikman because he will always be the man, but Captain Comeback is the ONLY QB in our team’s history where no matter the opponent, no matter regular season or playoffs, you always knew you had a shot if he was your QB.

You got any more like him, Naval Academy?
he was Mahomes before Mahomes. What makes the win stat even more impressive is the fact he had fewer games to do it in each year. In an era where it just wasn't done. He and Landry were ahead of the times offensively. Kinda like Reid and Mahomes. Roger could throw it from multiple platforms. It was uncanny. As far as Lamar being on the list. Lets wait on the anointing oil until he does something more.