This is why we believe in conspiracies

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There's the emotional mess I know and love. See you next time in another thread. You lack the control to prevent me from being right so with you I'm like Nostradamus. Lol.
So predictable. Repeating the same lame takes. "Emotional." :laugh:

I hope you're getting the help you need little fella!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There’s a handful of plays/scenarios I use when arguing if the NFL is fixed or not. One of them is the Cowboys 49ers play at the end of the playoff game 2 years ago. Everything you said is true. To add to your point. On that play the ref FARTHEST away from Dak ran 15 yards, bumped into Dak, took the ball from him, set it down, then got out of the way, then blew the whistle.

I’m not 100% convinced the NFL is fixed but I’m not 100% convinced it’s not. There has been some very convincing moments that make me feel it is.

Everything is Kayfabe

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think the league needs to make the refs full time and allow everything to be reviewable.
I'm fine with everything being reviewable but I'll never understand the magic of "full time" refs.

The players are full time, the coaches are full time, and they make mistakes in every game. The refs are no different - they're human. They're going to make mistakes.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I'm fine with everything being reviewable but I'll never understand the magic of "full time" refs.

The players are full time, the coaches are full time, and they make mistakes in every game. The refs are no different - they're human. They're going to make mistakes.
Full time employees that don’t have other important jobs, or any job, are more vested in the ref job and in theory that makes them more reliable.

Instead of worrying about a court case or job deadline they can review film and plays.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I'm not saying it'll eliminate mistakes. Heck, baseball umpires are full time, and Angel Hernandez exists. But at least with them being full times they won't need a side job. They would be able to focus solely on being a ref. That should help reduce mistakes.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Let’s put it this way . During the World Series ( Rangers won ) the strike zone was related to what ump was behind home plate . Both teams got hosed . In a the NFL it’s what officiating crew works the game . I don’t think it’s a conspiracy more of competency or lack of it .

The NFL should put teeth into policing rules and how a game is called . Fine tbe official a hefty sum for not spotting the ball correctly and it may not happen again .

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

You're not going to be better at your craft by spending less time doing it.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The game is played by humans officiated by humans mistakes happen . Tell you what the Eagles got hosed in the SB on that DB penalty allowed KC to keep the ball kick the winning FG . That bothers me about the NFL the inconsistency in officiating and the failure to see it’s a physical contact sport .

Taunting is another rule needs to go in the garbage . In a fast violent sport you think jawing goes on ?

:facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So I knew the Giants had an all time blown game this past weekend so I wanted to rewatch the final 5 minutes. With 17 seconds and no timeouts, the Jets complete a pass down the middle of the field. Clock is running, Jets all run down to try and spike it, receiver HANDS THE BALL TO THE CENTER, who quickly gets down to snap the ball. Now the jets are lined up, center down in his squat, never takes his hand off the ball, the ref runs up and literally touches the ball and runs out of there, almost all in one motion, like he was playing tag with the ball. He never took the ball out of the center's grasp, never actually spotted the ball... he lets the JETS spot the ball...... and I immediately think... ***? Ive seen this before, and teh ref damn sure didnt run past the ball and touch it all in one motion to ensure the offense could snap the ball. So I went back and watched that last play two years ago and yep..... that ref damn sure didnt let the Cowboys spot the ball.

What a freaking joke. And when we see this stuff..... this is why Cowboys fans get so upset when officiating impacts a game.

Im not saying the result would have been any different. It would have taken an amazing play to pull it out... but things should be the same from the stripes each week.
Things will never be identically the same from officiating with the human element involved.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's impossible especially when the teams in question behave differently in the first place.
Not only do we have different humans officiating each game they are officiating different teams.

Too many variables to look for identical or even similar consistency in opinion calls which is what officiating is. The more obvious calls are easier to have more consistency.

I think the bigger argument is most great teams overcome bad or questionable calls. If your season is reliant on a few calls going your way to make the difference or sway the results in your favor you were probably a marginal team anyway.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Not only do we have different humans officiating each game they are officiating different teams.

Too many variables to look for identical or even similar consistency in opinion calls which is what officiating is. The more obvious calls are easier to have more consistency.

I think the bigger argument is most great teams overcome bad or questionable calls. If your season is reliant on a few calls going your way to make the difference or sway the results in your favor you were probably a marginal team anyway.
Your last paragraph is the main reason for the whiny rage of "Hey, no fair!" regarding refs. When you overidentify with your team and don't believe they're a powerhouse, you have to create all kinds of compensation to avoid admitting a weakness in the team you support. So then it's "the system" that's against the team and Goodell is Darth Vader.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your last paragraph is the main reason for the whiny rage of "Hey, no fair!" regarding refs. When you overidentify with your team and don't believe they're a powerhouse, you have to create all kinds of compensation to avoid admitting a weakness in the team you support. So then it's "the system" that's against the team and Goodell is Darth Vader.
Conspiracy theories are usually derived from excuse making narratives.

Interestingly none of these theories have ever been proven.

Last edited:

Silverz1972

Reaction score
So I knew the Giants had an all time blown game this past weekend so I wanted to rewatch the final 5 minutes. With 17 seconds and no timeouts, the Jets complete a pass down the middle of the field. Clock is running, Jets all run down to try and spike it, receiver HANDS THE BALL TO THE CENTER, who quickly gets down to snap the ball. Now the jets are lined up, center down in his squat, never takes his hand off the ball, the ref runs up and literally touches the ball and runs out of there, almost all in one motion, like he was playing tag with the ball. He never took the ball out of the center's grasp, never actually spotted the ball... he lets the JETS spot the ball...... and I immediately think... ***? Ive seen this before, and teh ref damn sure didnt run past the ball and touch it all in one motion to ensure the offense could snap the ball. So I went back and watched that last play two years ago and yep..... that ref damn sure didnt let the Cowboys spot the ball.

What a freaking joke. And when we see this stuff..... this is why Cowboys fans get so upset when officiating impacts a game.

Im not saying the result would have been any different. It would have taken an amazing play to pull it out... but things should be the same from the stripes each week.
The ref in the giants game did the right thing. The one in the playoffs is the one that was suspect. First he was out of position thst it took him like 5 second to get to the ball after everyone was lined up. Second, he was so far away from the ball, he should have just ran by and touched it because he couldn’t have known the right spot for the ball in the first place. Wait for the snap to be over and make the correct spot after conferring with other officials.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Conspiracy theories are usually derived from excuse making narratives.

Interestingly none of these theories have ever been proven.
Proven? There's not even evidence presented that makes them "more likely than not." All dastardly angles regarding the team's victimhood are explored except "the other team was better" and "maybe this team is undisciplined." Very telling.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The ref in the giants game did the right thing. The one in the playoffs is the one that was suspect. First he was out of position thst it took him like 5 second to get to the ball after everyone was lined up. Second, he was so far away from the ball, he should have just ran by and touched it because he couldn’t have known the right spot for the ball in the first place. Wait for the snap to be over and make the correct spot after conferring with other officials.
He knows the right spot of the ball by the Side Judge standing on the sideline. By the rules, he sets the ball where that person is standing. The problem is the Cowboys were lined up ahead of him so he did need to pick up the ball to respot. The Jets probably learned from that and their guys lined up right where the Side Judge was. Therefore, no need to respot and less time needed to set the ball via a tap. Both videos bear this out in Post #10.

Hadenough

Reaction score

The refs control the games.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before robots and AI take over the refereeing of sports, eliminating all the human errors we currently see.
That won't stop it because the A.I. and robots can be programmed with bias. We are already seeing that with A.I. chat bots.