This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think its a unique situation and employers understand the shoes the players are in.

Jerry should make a move, ball is in his court to fix this. No contract should force a player to risk 100M+ dollars.

I bet it would take Lamb's full 18M pay this year to buy an insurance policy for 100M.

Like...if Bland does awesome this year, I bet his current salary couldnt buy a big enough insurance policy to cover what Bland's next contract will be worth.

You are tied to 'contract' because its how you get cheap labor. Its 'theres a contract' or 'blame the NFLPA heads'....those arent good answers, dude.

You are just ok with a player losing his big pay day by pointing at contracts or NFLPA reps. Thats not good enough.

Your the guy that signs a contract to follow orders, but complains when you are told to go jump off a bridge. You dont like it do you?
I dont care if you think its a good answer. It is THE ANSWER. That is the system that was BARGAINED for and AGREED to by both sides. So I dont care if you or the players dont like it. Also, you think the guy making 1 million is at any less of a risk to his career? So the guy playing 1 million on the last year of his deal isnt holding out, yet hes just as worried about injury.

Lastly, you should NEVER try to put words or thoughts in someones mouth that you are clueless about. Í was making CHUMP CHANGE and had a young wife and daughter when I was told to do worse than jump off the bridge from the Marine Corps.... I still went to the gulf. So please never try to tell me what I would like or wouldnt like or would or wouldnt do. If you think I have sympathy for ANY pro athlete squabbling over millions, you are sadly mistaken. Lamb is going ot get his millions FOR SURE. I had no clue if I would ever see my wife or daughter again.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I dont care if you think its a good answer. It is THE ANSWER. That is the system that was BARGAINED for and AGREED to by both sides. So I dont care if you or the players dont like it. Also, you think the guy making 1 million is at any less of a risk to his career? So the guy playing 1 million on the last year of his deal isnt holding out, yet hes just as worried about injury.

Lastly, you should NEVER try to put words or thoughts in someones mouth that you are clueless about. Í was making CHUMP CHANGE and had a young wife and daughter when I was told to do worse than jump off the bridge from the Marine Corps.... I still went to the gulf. So please never try to tell me what I would like or wouldnt like or would or wouldnt do. If you think I have sympathy for ANY pro athlete squabbling over millions, you are sadly mistaken. Lamb is going ot get his millions FOR SURE. I had no clue if I would ever see my wife or daughter again.
Im not the smartest guy in the World, or even smart...but its pretty obvious this issue is usually top earners. Its nothing to extend a 1M player...so they get extended and their purse secured and we never hear about it.

Its not a hard concept to understand. The guys with huge paydays looming, that are holding out, are doing it because it GENERATIONAL wealth type money, King of the World type money...so they want to secure that bag, that after putting in a few years of good production for their teams at rook money, before an injury ruins it all...AS THEY SHOULD.

Lamb isnt a 10M dollar receiver...he would have been extended already.

I think Agents have the percentage against cap already down to a science for all positions and superstars at those positions. Its already known. The cap keeps going up and the Agents and Players know this. If Jerry is reluctant to pay Lamb based on what , imo, are figures already known and accepted between Owners and Agents...and in this case the going percentage against cap that TOP WR's should be making...Lamb should not be held hostage by his team because they have two many TOP players to sign. Expecting a player to risk F-U Money because the team is in a bind and is reluctant to sign him...and wants the player to risk all that money because of a stupid contract or NFLPA reps....is unreasonable.

Its not that hard a concept to figure out.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Im not the smartest guy in the World, or even smart...but its pretty obvious this issue is usually top earners. Its nothing to extend a 1M player...so they get extended and their purse secured and we never hear about it.

Its not a hard concept to understand. The guys with huge paydays looming, that are holding out, are doing it because it GENERATIONAL wealth type money, King of the World type money...so they want to secure that bag, that after putting in a few years of good production for their teams at rook money, before an injury ruins it all...AS THEY SHOULD.

Lamb isnt a 10M dollar receiver...he would have been extended already.

I think Agents have the percentage against cap already down to a science for all positions and superstars at those positions. Its already known. The cap keeps going up and the Agents and Players know this. If Jerry is reluctant to pay Lamb based on what , imo, are figures already known and accepted between Owners and Agents...and in this case the going percentage against cap that TOP WR's should be making...Lamb should not be held hostage by his team because they have two many TOP players to sign. Expecting a player to risk F-U Money because the team is in a bind and is reluctant to sign him...and wants the player to risk all that money because of a stupid contract or NFLPA reps....is unreasonable.

Its not that hard a concept to figure out.
do you know for a fact Jerry hasnt offered Lamb top pay? Do you know for a fact Lamb is holding the Cowboys hostage with a no trade clause or no franchise tag clause? You dont, so you are doing nothing but speculating.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
do you know for a fact Jerry hasnt offered Lamb top pay? Do you know for a fact Lamb is holding the Cowboys hostage with a no trade clause or no franchise tag clause? You dont, so you are doing nothing but speculating.
I agree. I dont know. I just know there is a player not at practice because of an extension.

If Lamb is being unreasonable...he should be fined for not showing up to work. If the figures I mentioned that I believe the Owners and Agents have agreed up for years...in the case of TOP WR's is about 12% of cap, QB being around 21 or 22% of cap....it Lamb is asking for way more than that 12% of current cap, he is being unreasonable unless he thinks he is the Micheal Jordan of WR's and his pay should be 14 or 15%. He isnt a Michael Jordan at WR...but he is damn good and should be paid around that 12 to 13% of cap.

If there is some issue with guaranteed money...you have to figure out which side is being unreasonable. Currently 110M has been guaranteed to a WR...I think St. Brown in Detroit. If Lamb is asking for too much...something has to get resolved...but expecting the player to take the field is not the answer.

Its frustrating that it has to get to this point. Lamb could be the issue based on the amount he wants and terms...but he should not be expected to be on the field AT ALL until that extension is resolved.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I agree. I dont know. I just know there is a player not at practice because of an extension.

If Lamb is being unreasonable...he should be fined for not showing up to work. If the figures I mentioned that I believe the Owners and Agents have agreed up for years...in the case of TOP WR's is about 12% of cap, QB being around 21 or 22% of cap....it Lamb is asking for way more than that 12% of current cap, he is being unreasonable unless he thinks he is the Micheal Jordan of WR's and his pay should be 14 or 15%. He isnt a Michael Jordan at WR...but he is damn good and should be paid around that 12 to 13% of cap.

If there is some issue with guaranteed money...you have to figure out which side is being unreasonable. Currently 110M has been guaranteed to a WR...I think St. Brown in Detroit. If Lamb is asking for too much...something has to get resolved...but expecting the player to take the field is not the answer.

Its frustrating that it has to get to this point. Lamb could be the issue based on the amount he wants and terms...but he should not be expected to be on the field AT ALL until that extension is resolved.
what if a team were content to let a player play out their deal and then leave? Teams are under NO obligation to give any player an extension. Lamb is currently under contract... so what then? If Dallas said Lamb, we are very happy to have you give us this season at what your contracted pay is, and then you go away. They are not required to do anything with players under contract.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because the game of football is not about Jerry Jones to them. it's about what it has always been about when playing the game.

It's about winning. It's about trying to be the best. It's about pride. They can't reach their level without it.
Don’t know who’s picture that is in your avatar but Bless him for his service.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Don’t let these haters get to you. They’re not worth it. Semper Fi and thank you for your service.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is not the salary cap set by the portion of profits the Player's Association agreed upon ? Then really Dak is demanding a bigger piece at the cost of the lower men on the totem. Don't understand why there isn't more of an uproar from lower level players.
Because NFL is star driven. its the same for every team. top few make the most. then there is the rest. and those at the bottom hold now power and easily replacable. don't show up. don't perform, then replaced easily.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
NFL players deserve to participate in the success of the NFL and team. However, many of these guys get to play a sport they love and when it becomes just about the money more than winning I get the fan perspective and why they may see the player as selfish.

You're right players put their bodies on the line and should be compensated for that risk, but at the minimum they make equal to 12 years of pay for the average worker in a single season. A player making 60 million in a year is equal to that of 23 people over a 40 year career. Military, policeman, and firefighters also put their well being on the line and make nothing close to a minimum NFL player. So I don't have sympathy for these players holding out to make an extra few million a year so they can be the top paid guy.
there is money made. somebody has to get it. the NFLPA came to agreement on how they share the profits. same can be said about owners. there is 32 of them and they share about 50% of profits. they have enough to last 50 generations and make enough to be 30 years of pay. why not give players a little more? why is it that players are selfish and not the owners? I don't have sympathy for the owners.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Eh, his recent teams have been stacked with decent talent.

Maybe he should change HC/OC coaches on a more frequent basis until he finds an actual good Playoff schemer...

His faults arent so bad that league owners are colluding to kick him out of the frat because of fan uprisings.

I hate the duality argument...but if money is all anyone talks about anymore...Jones is balancing making money with having a relevant team pretty well.

The players want money...not a trophy. Using the excuse of 'winning' doesnt resonate as much, or pull as much weight. Sure...these guys will wine if they are stuck on a very bad team...but Dallas isnt that.

Everyone is trying to win unless you think winning is changing the HC/OC every two years or going through QB's until you find Mahomes/Brady.
we aren't stacked with talent. that's a cowboys fallacy. like players drink the water at entrance of the organization and all of a sudden they are all-pros

the players want both. what is wrong with players wanting money? Jerry wants money. that's all Jerry cares about and nothing else. he wants money more than trophy. if they by any chance luck into a trophy its icing on the cake for him

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Good point.

Here is the problem, posters think Dak doesn't "deserve" a top of the market contract because he has not had enough playoff success in their opinions.

What they fail to comprehend is "deserve" doesn't have jack crap to do with market value.
finally. somebody who gets it. the rest are just emotional about it

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry has never has issues with paying people. In fact he does the complete opposite of that. I don't get why fans think he does not pay his guys. He has run this franchise into the ground because he pays his guys far too often. Emmitt Smith might be the only example but even then Jerry paid the guy. Plus Emmitt wasn't really a hold out he was just not under contract. Rules were different back then.

The main reason fans care that players want a ton of money is because there's a salary cap. When 1 player wants a lot of money that means the team must run thin elsewhere on the roster.

The players union has agreed to the salary cap. Players have nobody to blame but themselves when it comes to how contracts are structured and how much they are paid. Players have agreed to the fines they receive when they don't show up under contract.

Fans have a legit reason getting upset about players wanting a ton of money . Players have a legit reason to want more money. Owners have a legit reason to want players to take less money. In the end it comes down to the players union and the owners contract that is on place. That contract restricts the great players from getting a too much of money but also helps fringe players get a large amount of money. Thanks to fans the salary cap will forever be a thing and both the owners and players union understands thar.
absolutley wrong. cowboys are 30th in cash spending in the league in past few years. so yeah, you are wrong.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
what if a team were content to let a player play out their deal and then leave? Teams are under NO obligation to give any player an extension. Lamb is currently under contract... so what then? If Dallas said Lamb, we are very happy to have you give us this season at what your contracted pay is, and then you go away. They are not required to do anything with players under contract.
why not do a sign in trade and get an asset back?

letting him walk is wildly stupid.

allow him to find a suitor right now if the league allows him to be traded and extended elsewhere.

the guy gave 4 years of quality play, has F-U money starring at him...he's earned a secure big bag. unless you are into taking advantage of cheap labor and literally dont care about other peoples well being, which your stance suggests. no one should want any man to miss his big bag.

you seem to have a "golly shucks, its a contract...sorry about his bad luck if he gets injured"...its hard to believe there are 'people' like this.

like...you really dont care about other people if you expect someone in Lamb's shoes to hit the field. "i dont care if he gets hurt, i want my one year of Star production at WR for half price because 'contract'"

if Lamb isnt in Dallas plans...allow him to look for suitors that will extend him now if that is legal. Asking the dude to play in what looks like down year for Dallas and risk injury and lose a ton of money is beyond silly to me. I dont even know if you are trolling me...its that wild of thinking to me.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Because the game of football is not about Jerry Jones to them. it's about what it has always been about when playing the game.

It's about winning. It's about trying to be the best. It's about pride. They can't reach their level without it.
It may have been about that when they were in high school. But this is PROFESSIONAL football. This is a business. Did you ever watch Hard Knocks? Jerry flat out told anyone that would listen what his first priority is AND he told the players that should be their first priority as well....MONEY!! Get the business sorted out FIRST...then we can talk football. Why is that so hard for some of you all to grasp?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Don’t let these haters get to you. They’re not worth it. Semper Fi and thank you for your service.
I was with 3rd Bn 11th Marines and was transferred from active duty to inactive reserves in 1989. When the 1st gulf war started, guess which artillery battalion was deployed to Saudi Arabia? I was a little disappointed I didn't get to go, but it was over with so quickly I suppose I didn't miss much. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the camel spiders.

You and I - we've had our differences, but there's an undeniable brotherhood that no one can take away, not even you or me.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Players are absolutely greedy. When you are asking for a multi-million dollar guaranteed contract, it's greed. It's greed when you take such an offer and KNOW it in some way impacts your team negatively.

There is no getting around this. If players aren't greedy, then their agents are and players just let their agent handle it all.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The NFL is a business, and as a business you have employers and employees. Both wanting to maximize their profits and their worth. Call it greed or capitalism, there is a fine line between them. Players hire an agent to represent them and Jerry hires his unqualified son. This is the problem with the Cowboys organization. Run by two dimwits over their head.

But Dak sure ain’t worth 50 or even 60m per season. Rush or even Lance can get this team to lose one and done at a lot less cost. Maybe that’s what Jerry is thinking when he is sober.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There is no getting around this. If players aren't greedy, then their agents are and players just let their agent handle it all.
I have no doubt it's the agents who are behind all the greed. The larger the contract for their client, the more money they make in whatever their fees might be. However, the agent should be working for the player, not the other way around. This means that Dak, CeeDee, Parsons, or any other NFL player can step in at any time and tell their agent to back the hell off, but it seems like that rarely happens. So what ends up happening? The player is the one who ends up getting labeled as greedy, and in a majority of cases it's totally warranted because they didn't step in and tell their agent to stop with all the BS.