This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

Brax

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Elite, well they can ask but it up to the team FO whether they are worth it, again elite is the key there are 2 on the cowboys who fit the criteria, sadly saying you’re elite doesn’t make it so, I don’t know how you see it but putting 153 million in the bank the last 4 years and delivering nothing doesn’t mean you should demand top money, yes it’s greed when you want to reset the market “for your brother position players” Holding out yes no problem they have that option, but to me it effects the total team and how other players are paid so bottom line is money is the the only motivation for most higher level players. As for injuries, they know the risk so do employees in many walks of life and jobs. I guess putting 153 million in the bank isn’t enough to retire on so the health issue isn’t a factor. The cap is real and so far I don’t see any reason to pay top dollar for any DC player at this point

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
It's business, eh? Each side is negotiating in its perceived best interest. This board likes to lambast the Jones' for cap mismanagement and then in the same breath criticize them for being "greedy billionaires" who shouldn't be so tight. CeeDee and Dak don't have to consider the cap or the team's immediate future or their teammates getting cut to save cap space,,, they could if they wanted to,,, but apparently they don't. So call it greed or selfishness or maybe it's just a dance both sides go thru before the deal is made.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
well, they have no recourse otherwise. because the contracts in NFL aren't gauarnteed and injuries happen all the time.
Ceedee Lamb has made $14M in his career so far and is set to make $18M this season. The man has already made enough money to create generational wealth for his family. He also has enough money that purchasing an insurance policy against injury shouldn't be an issue either if that is his primary concern.

There is plenty of money for these guys to make in their careers even if they were to take discounted rates. The players we really should be caring about is the bottom of the roster. So many players make peanuts compared to the guys at the top and these are the players who are screwed if they get injured. Those are the guys who truly have short careers in this league. Guys at the top looking to get paid max money doesnt make them bad people, but I do wish we would change the focus on who to root for in actually getting raises.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If Dak was a 4 time super bowl champion like Mahomes I would pay him what he reportedly is demanding - a market setting, highest in NFL history contract. But the guy can't beat really good teams and disappears in the playoffs every damn year.

For him to demand a contract like that makes him what? GREEDY. It doesn't matter if you agree or not, that's just how it is.
When are people going to wrap their heads around this is NOT how sports contracts work, at all. Your contract is not purely based on playoff success. It is based on market value. Jordan Love has had one playoff win and GB broke the bank for him. Explain that. Stafford got huge deals before he came even close to winning. Same as Megatron. Justin Jefferson has never sniffed a playoff win and got a huge deal. Parsons is going to be expecting a huge deal and is a dud at the end of every season and the playoffs.

Doesn't mean they are greedy. Them and their agent are only maximizing their earning potential. If even one single team is willing to pay, then that is their worth. People are fooling themselves if they think another team is not going to swoop in and sign Dak to a big deal if Dallas lets him walk.

Players make peanuts compared to what the owners bring in on a yearly basis. Owners have zero risk. NFL prints its own money and owners are guaranteed to never lose money, they leverage any portion of stadiums being built that the citizens don't pay for. Players are absorbing all the risk and serious health consequences, both mentally and physically playing this violent game. A player can be cut at any time. You better believe these players want every red cent than can get from these greedy owners. These owners have the masses brainwashed so much that these players are just greedy and the fans turn on the players but very rarely on the owners. They want their players to take massive paycuts to try and win a title. For only their own personal benefit of seeing their team win.

NFL players have an extremely small window to earn. Good for them for not bending over to these owners.

Sheepherder

Reaction score

Jerry/Stephen can be idiots and Dak/Lamb can be greedy....both things can be true here.
What I don't like about the players of today is that when they don't get their way on the field, they throw temper tantrums and act like spoiled little kids. I don't remember the players in 90s and on back acting like that. That's a distraction that I can live without.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Disagree to a point. If you are a QB you know that by taking $10m less a season a better team is put around you. That’s how Brady won a bunch of titles. Same with Mahomes. That said, the Jones’s are also incompetent morons

Staubacher

Reaction score
While there is a difference between Millionaires and billionaires, Dak has already made $150 million not even counting endorsements so let's not act like he's fighting to buy a case of Top Ramen for the family. They're all grabbing as much money as they can whether it's millions or billions. It's the entertainment business if you enjoy sports it's better just not to get too carried away with who is right or wrong they're all just trying to get as much as they can. How much time do any of you spend thinking about the salaries of the people that you do business with as customers? Well that's all we are is customers you either buy the product or you don't.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They are greedy. So are the owners. Both can be true at the same time. For almost 40 years I worked a full time job and ran my own business on the side, resulting in some 80-85 hr workweeks. I never made more than $180,000 in any year. To see anyone...... millionaire or billionaire whining and posturing about money makes me laugh. Yes, their talents are much more lucrative than the average guy. But to see someone turn down $50 million a year because they want $55-60 million a year, I'm sorry. I call that greedy.
:hammer:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I don't think they're greedy. I just don't think they're worth it here. We can lose with cheaper players. I do agree that this is all Jerry's fault. If he wanted them back then he should have extended them before now. I don't think he knows what he's doing.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don't think they're greedy. I just don't think they're worth it here. We can lose with cheaper players. I do agree that this is all Jerry's fault. If he wanted them back then he should have extended them before now. I don't think he knows what he's doing.
no player is worth it with this FO...until they change the results will not change...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry/Stephen can be idiots and Dak/Lamb can be greedy....both things can be true here.
Many people can be idiots and many can be greedy....that goes for members of the Zone and in all walks of life, for that matter. Would you be greedy and get what you can when the iron is hot, or be an idiot and give the billionaire owners a break?

Creeper

Reaction score
Greedy - Having or showing a strong or excessive desire to acquire money or possess things, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.

Certainly some of these players fit the definition of greedy. Take Dak, for example, He is making $40 million per year. In one year he will make more than 99% of Americans will make in a lifetime. If he now wants $60 million I would say that is excessive. It is certainly more than he will ever need. I could apply this same opinion to lots of players in the NFL. The argument that their careers are short is true for young players, but if Dak retired tomorrow, he will never need to earn another dime for the rest of his life based on what he has already made, and he would still live better than 99% or Americans. If the average American made $200,000 per year and worked 40 years he would earn only $8 million in his lifetime, and the average American does not earn anywhere near $200,000 per year.

Of course this is taken out of context. The players look at the owners and how much they are making and of course they think they deserve a good chunk of that pie. The owners are greedy too. The players copy the owners. In the end, the fans subsidize all this greed. And it is a vicious cycle. The players get more, the owners charge more for tickets, beer, and TV contracts, then the players demand more because the CAP increases with revenue.

If there was no greed, NFL tickets would cost $10 and NFL Sunday Ticket would cost $49 a season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Dak was a 4 time super bowl champion like Mahomes I would pay him what he reportedly is demanding - a market setting, highest in NFL history contract. But the guy can't beat really good teams and disappears in the playoffs every damn year.

For him to demand a contract like that makes him what? GREEDY. It doesn't matter if you agree or not, that's just how it is.
But yet guys like Tua, Lawrence , Love and Cousins for example this offseason deserve it?

Maybe some fans just don’t like what Market Price represents . It’s not a pecking order or reward for winning championships.

Proof

Reaction score
Apples to Oranges. that's the beautiful thing about capitalism. Supply and demand. If there was a demand for your 80-85hr work weeks and the market for your services was $50million a year, you'd have every right to expect to be paid that because you'd know based on the market you could go elsewhere and get that. It's just business.
supply and demand and capitalism is literally greed driven.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greedy - Having or showing a strong or excessive desire to acquire money or possess things, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.

Certainly some of these players fit the definition of greedy. Take Dak, for example, He is making $40 million per year. In one year he will make more than 99% of Americans will make in a lifetime. If he now wants $60 million I would say that is excessive. It is certainly more than he will ever need. I could apply this same opinion to lots of players in the NFL. The argument that their careers are short is true for young players, but if Dak retired tomorrow, he will never need to earn another dime for the rest of his life based on what he has already made, and he would still live better than 99% or Americans. If the average American made $200,000 per year and worked 40 years he would earn only $8 million in his lifetime, and the average American does not earn anywhere near $200,000 per year.

Of course this is taken out of context. The players look at the owners and how much they are making and of course they think they deserve a good chunk of that pie. The owners are greedy too. The players copy the owners. In the end, the fans subsidize all this greed. And it is a vicious cycle. The players get more, the owners charge more for tickets, beer, and TV contracts, then the players demand more because the CAP increases with revenue.

If there was no greed, NFL tickets would cost $10 and NFL Sunday Ticket would cost $49 a season.
I recall when I could get a reserved ticket for $5 and endzone for one dollar.

Playing in the NFL was a part time job most didn’t earn more than the regular Tom in the marketplace .

But something changed driving revenue . I’m all for the NFL being poor again. Lol