This really bugs me about our front office

waving monkey

Reaction score
I'm a big Rico fan so Im bais on the point. At the time of the draft did we know Gregory or Lawrence were going to lose games? I dont know.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Parcells brought in a ton of good groceries and created a culture where drafted players didn't get guaranteed spots - something sorely missing for years here.
and he pouted in his office his last off season and finally quit on the organization late in the off season leaving us to hire coach cupcake
not saying he wasn't a good coach I liked him here especialy his pressers.I resented the way he quit on us.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Yes, but you never hear of a guy getting drafted in the modern NFL with 0 experience playing football since middle school. Gathers has 0 chance of succeeding here.
I'm hopeful about Rico but who knows. It might be better then zero chance

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
what bugs me is that we are going into this week with only 8 DL on the roster, with Tapper likely not ready to play cause of injury. but yet we can take 4 RB's and 5 safeties to the game.
If the coaches are smart they will use those RBs.;)

haleyrules

Reaction score
and he pouted in his office his last off season and finally quit on the organization late in the off season leaving us to hire coach cupcake
not saying he wasn't a good coach I liked him here especialy his pressers.I resented the way he quit on us.
The Tuna won SB's and he picked some great players for Dallas and his overall style was productive. But, l really did not think he was a great coach in Dallas. Jones and Tuna were simply not compatible.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
What bugs me the most is that this fan base thinks they know more about football then our Front Office. :facepalm:

CWR

Reaction score
that was a money issue. It wasn't stephen and jerry identifying the better talent, they didn't want to deal with the postons. When they explained to parcells that he would hold out and missed time they all agreed on ware.

broaddus has been telling this story since 08 and people still can't get it right.

No Parcells wanted Merriman or Spears there and again wanted to trade back up (from 20 if memory serves) due to fear of losing Spears. Wether or not JJ and company wanted Ware instead due to the agent doesnt change the fact had Parcells got his way Ware wouldn't have been in Dallas.

Although you can easily make the point the Jones boys fell backwards into Ware, that same point can also be made of Emmit and Dak too right? I think its pretty common to not get your first target and come out ahead.

pansophy

Reaction score
Defensive pro bowls drafted

'03-'06 (Parcells): 16 (4 players)
'07-'10 (Phillips): 3 (3 players)
'11-'15 (Garrett): 0
That's only fair if you include offensive pro bowls drafted.

MikeT22

Reaction score
The FO has been poor, but I wouldn't really use a late 6th round pick as an example, although there were at least a couple dozen players I'd have taken instead of a basketball player.

But the biggest problem is too often using the 2nd round as a time to take major gambles instead of just drafting good quality sound players. No reason to take injured players just because they would've been first rounders if healthy. Or drafting guys with off field issues who fell in the draft. Also most years we come up virtually empty on our day three picks, rounds 4-7.

Super Bowl contenders routinely come up big with most of their top 3 picks and generally hit on at least one day 3 guy.

Once again this year we took a guy in the 2nd with a major injury who won''t play this year and may never come back to full strength. But at least we might have finally turned the corner on day 3 with Dak and hopefully Tapper and Brown.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Meanwhile Swaim, Hitchens, Prescott, and Brown, all day 3 picks of the McClay era, look to be keepers. Nzeocha, Wilson, Jackson, Gathers, Frazier, and Tapper all still have a shot.

coult44

Reaction score
Pick # 217 that was used on Rico Gathers who never had any chance at making the roster could have been used on a player that could have been useful here.

The Giants for the second year in a row have found a quality defensive end in the rookie free agent pool. Last year it was Kerry Wynn this year its Romeo Okwara.

With the 6th round pick #217 Dallas took Gathers while Okwara just sat there. Now no one drafted him so something about him was a turn off, but if you are defensive needy team which is putting it mildly concerning this team How do you not gamble on the end instead of guy who has never played football.

I simply do not understand this logic. Okwara had a great camp in NY and made the team. I do not know if he will dress on gameday this week but I bet he does since they plan to use JPP and Owa Ziggy as interior pass rushers in the nickel and other sets.

This just really bugs me and I would love to know who made that call, I asked broaddus and he said Dallas had Okwara on the board and chose gathers.

That is nuts. It reminds me of 2006 when the saints had success with marques colston and Parcells was mad and told the media during a PC that he had specifically sent scouts to hofstra and they didn't recognize Colston as a draft able talent.

Instead of having a guy like Okwara rushing as a reserve this sunday we will have kyle wilber and we will have to block okwara.

I simply do not understand decisions like this. Its completely void of reason. Drafting gathers when players who could still help were available is a problem, I am convinced since Garrett has taken over he has surrounded himself with people who can not recognize defensive talent. Something needs to change in regards to drafting defensive players.

I agree with you 100%, but what do you expect from a staff that keeps guys like Swaim, Wilcox, Heath, Keith and Rod Smith, etc. To be a contending team you can't have guys on your roster who wouldn't compete for second team spots on good teams. If JG built defenses like the way our offense is built we be too 3-4 team. There's no way that teams like Arizona , Minnesota, or Oakland should consistently have good defenses when we can't have one ever...