This Sums it Up for Me

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Zeke should have been traded.

If GM Jethro understood when to actually negotiate, on time, it would never come to a hold out. Negotiate before the draft. If you can not come to terms trade the player. Very simple philosophy.

GM Jethro philosophy is wait until the last minute to start negotiations.(idiotic). Then he typically has no back up plan and is forced to cave.
Agree that Jerry's prescriptive way of approaching contract extensions (squeezing every last dime of the original contract, rather than extending early) has in part lead to this. There's also the prescriptive way his contracts tend to look, heavy Signing Bonus which he can prorate down the alley of time.

In some ways it was strange why France/Dak wanted a NTC, Jerry has never traded a veteran (which is another of the prescriptive ways that leaves him open to getting played in negotiations).

It's easy to plan (the negotiating strategy), if you know what the other side is going to do......just like game time.

The one knock on Dak in this instance is that must understand IF, he want's top money, how that will hit the roster around him. Not asking him to take less money, however, the middle ground, maybe on length of contract. If Dak wants to hit FA again before he's 35, then he's looking purely at himself: 1st, last and always.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Three 12 win seasons in a row is good period. It is historically good. It will be interesting to see how they do this year. Will they do the double digit wins and advance this time?
No team has ever failed to make a conference title game after three consecutive 12 win seasons until the Cowboys did. That is historically bad.

Why don't you aim higher? Why do you settle for this? Why do you make excuses for this? Why are you a crusader? Is it just for the contrarian lols?

kskboys

Reaction score
Three 12 win seasons in a row is good period. It is historically good. It will be interesting to see how they do this year. Will they do the double digit wins and advance this time?
Only if you ignore the fact that we lose in the playoffs due to the same weaknesses every season and have no idea how to fix it.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I don't see anywhere to go but down due to free agent losses, almost zero free agent signings, and Dak has to be ticked off at contract negotiations. No matter what we think of Dak (and my opinion got worse after we got blown out vs Packers playoff gm), he can command a top 5 or at worse top 10 QB salary. Putting Dak on a real NFL team with a legitimate front office and a head coach with authority is his best option. Why would any Cowboy player give the Jones boys a hometown discount to play for a team that will never make a deep playoff run?

ArtClink

Reaction score
No team has ever failed to make a conference title game after three consecutive 12 win seasons until the Cowboys did. That is historically bad.

Why don't you aim higher? Why do you settle for this? Why do you make excuses for this? Why are you a crusader? Is it just for the contrarian lols?
Agreed

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't see anywhere to go but down due to free agent losses, almost zero free agent signings, and Dak has to be ticked off at contract negotiations. No matter what we think of Dak (and my opinion got worse after we got blown out vs Packers playoff gm), he can command a top 5 or at worse top 10 QB salary. Putting Dak on a real NFL team with a legitimate front office and a head coach with authority is his best option. Why would any Cowboy player give the Jones boys a hometown discount to play for a team that will never make a deep playoff run?
It is in his best interest to explore his options in free agency. Tyron Smith said it best. He picked the Jets because they were trying to win a SB.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What we are seeing is the new normal barring some injury or the team losing too many games early in the season. They are operating how Stephen see's fit. Stephen is bringing the core back, yes many contributors have moved on but few difference makers. Stephen rarely goes over the top. Don't expect any big signing outside of extending their best players. The draft will happen then they will pick up more free agents to fill in where needed. He will only sign cheap agents, he might get lucky and get some decent veterans cheap but probably mostly sign unknown guys as they are usually the cheapest with potential upside. Remember he purposefully constructs this roster to make it look like they are maxed on cap spending and they have little room to add good veteran talent. Smoke and Mirrors with a sprinkling of hope. They are a good team, that gives us hope, but they aren't favorites by any means because they are way too scared to go for it but we keep watching, talking about them anyway.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What we are seeing is the new normal barring some injury or the team losing too many games early in the season. They are operating how Stephen see's fit. Stephen is bringing the core back, yes many contributors have moved on but few difference makers. Stephen rarely goes over the top. Don't expect any big signing outside of extending their best players. The draft will happen then they will pick up more free agents to fill in where needed. He will only sign cheap agents, he might get lucky and get some decent veterans cheap but probably mostly sign unknown guys as they are usually the cheapest with potential upside. Remember he purposefully constructs this roster to make it look like they are maxed on cap spending and they have little room to add good veteran talent. Smoke and Mirrors with a sprinkling of hope. They are a good team, that gives us hope, but they aren't favorites by any means because they are way too scared to go for it but we keep watching, talking about them anyway.
Bringing the core back?

He has brought back Rico, Lewis, Seig, and Goodwin. Definitely not any part of core.

Players still under contract is not bringing them back.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I’ve been a fan since 1963 and have barely missed a game over the decades. I know more about Cowboys history than you do and like most longtime fans, it has been a cruel and bitter pill to swallow to watch what Jones has done to this franchise. Why? Because I love the Cowboys.

I don’t know if you can comprehend this concept, but longtime fans are mad at an almost 30 year run of playoff irrelevance. If you can’t understand that then Jerry would appreciate you buying seasons tickets, jerseys, and other SWAG to support his mismanagement of the team. Are you sure you’re a fan?
You all complain about Jones but forget we have won more Super Bowls since he has been the owner than before that time. Sure, Johnson may have been the architect but someone had to sign him.

But yes, Iam a fan. I root for the team. I hope for a Super Bowl every year. What's the point of watching it you just want them to lose every game? Do you think it would really make a difference? Jones will be the owner until the day he dies, then Stephen will take over, then probably one of his kids. We could be winless for decades. They still get revenue from profit sharing. They will still be billionaires. If the FO bothers you that much then change teams because they aren't going anywhere.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You all complain about Jones but forget we have won more Super Bowls since he has been the owner than before that time. Sure, Johnson may have been the architect but someone had to sign him.

But yes, Iam a fan. I root for the team. I hope for a Super Bowl every year. What's the point of watching it you just want them to lose every game? Do you think it would really make a difference? Jones will be the owner until the day he dies, then Stephen will take over, then probably one of his kids. We could be winless for decades. They still get revenue from profit sharing. They will still be billionaires. If the FO bothers you that much then change teams because they aren't going anywhere.
The point is GM Jerry was better as a GM when he had no idea what that the hell he was doing than he does after 30+ years of experience.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It’s interesting that after no nfc championship game appearances in almost three decades, you consider a 12 win season without a 1st round playoff win a “successful“ season. Jerry has lowered the bar for a lot of fans to where you think last season was a success.

I guess I hold my team to higher standards. After all, we used to be the gold standard of NFL franchises but 28 seasons of playoff futility starts to seem “normal”, at least around Dallas. But, please continue supporting Jerry and his “business as usual“ methods by purchasing your season tickets. You are precisely the type of fan he’s counting on.
We are the best of the mediocre teams. Enjoy the ride. lol

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
you guys are late to the party. The end was when he hired the clapper and then extended the idiot. One day you will see the writing on the wall. Super Bowls are over forever. sheesh.

"who are you guys looking at in the draft? What gear are you buying this year?" lmao......"don't forget the tickers"

CowboysRule

Reaction score
The point is GM Jerry was better as a GM when he had no idea what that the hell he was doing than he does after 30+ years of experience.
It seems he may have finally caught on though by not extending Dak.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bringing the core back?

He has brought back Rico, Lewis, Seig, and Goodwin. Definitely not any part of core.

Players still under contract is not bringing them back.
I disagree. Just because a player is under contract doesn't mean the team can't move on from said player. See Gallup as a cowboys example of not bringing a player under contract back in 2024, or look at just about every team to find more examples. They also didn't add any player who would be thought of as a core player moving forward. Only re-signed some fringe players and a 1 year linebacker.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's been said that this Cowboys' organization has no direction, nor philosophy to call their own. Jerry & Stephen need some honest soul searching and a fervor for newfound adjustments to be set. Let's hope Mike Zimmer helps this to be implemented. It's, definitely, long overdue!

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's been said that this Cowboys' organization has no direction, nor philosophy to call their own. Jerry & Stephen need some honest soul searching and a fervor for newfound adjustments to be set. Let's hope Mike Zimmer helps this to be implemented. It's, definitely, long overdue!
Would have to question that premise. They have one of the most (if not the most) steadfast philosophising the league.
The issue is that its the same year on year, there's no variety, there's no creativity...its purely: draft, sign, extend (as many of their stars), then cut from the bottom/middle of the roster to scrape through the CAP issues. Hope/Rinse/Repeat.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I disagree. Just because a player is under contract doesn't mean the team can't move on from said player. See Gallup as a cowboys example of not bringing a player under contract back in 2024, or look at just about every team to find more examples. They also didn't add any player who would be thought of as a core player moving forward. Only re-signed some fringe players and a 1 year linebacker.
Ok. Go look at our contracts and see how many players are a 1 year deal unless they are on a rookie contract.