This Team is now the Raiders

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I always chuckle when people compare Al Davis to Jerry Jones. Al was a long time scout and coach prior to becoming Owner and Managing Partner of the Raiders. Pretty much single handedly put the Raiders at the top of the NFL for 30 years. The last decade was rough, although I will say they managed a SB appearance in 2002 which is more than Jerry can show for the last 20 years.

There really is no comparison between Jerry and Davis. Davis had the background of being a football man his entire life.

As for the current state of the franchises, I would take my chances going forward with the likes of Derek Carr. One of the best deep passers I've seen in recent memory.

Clappytheclown316? LOL

You really need to change your name. I'm embarrassed for you at this point with any name touting the hapless Garrett.

Who cares what Al Davis was? He stunk it up on finding talent. Save for one stretch 60 years ago. They are very comparable in that they both want to draft and do everything and they stink at it. Power hungry owners that both ran their franchises into laughing stocks of the NFL.

You know what you can compare? You can compare clappy the clown to a male cheerleader. They are fun to watch, but you dont want them coaching your team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carried those teams to what exactly? Carried them to an 8-8 average? So what.

8-8 was a major accomplishment for those teams. Looking back, I still don't know how we managed to pull that off. Romo deserves all of the credit. Without him those were 4-12 teams. Maybe worse.

You may not believe this, but NFL teams play to win every week. They don't like to lose. 8-8 is a hell of a lot better than 6-10 or 4-12. While those teams may not have accomplished the ultimate goal of winning a championship they did not have a losing season. Fans like you don't buy that because they think anything less than winning a Lombardi and having a big parade in February is a failed season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What culture had us with 13 wins last season? I didn't hear a peep from you talking about culture and if I'm not mistaken you had us in the playoffs this year no? I don't remember hearing you speak about culture his offseason.

Anyone with half a brain knew that Romo was carrying these teams over the years. Last year was a combination of several things to create the perfect storm:

-Clappy the clown got kicked to the curb and no longer ran game day management of the team
-They finally found an incredible run game to team with Romo and take pressure off the defense
-Romo stayed healthy and we had relatively great health over the entire year
-The defense was near the top of the league in turnovers created
-Clappy the clown got kicked to the curb and no longer ran game day management of the team

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
8-8 was a major accomplishment for those teams. Looking back, I still don't know how we managed to pull that off. Romo deserves all of the credit. Without him those were 4-12 teams. Maybe worse.

You may not believe this, but NFL teams play to win every week. They don't like to lose. 8-8 is a hell of a lot better than 6-10 or 4-12. While those teams may not have accomplished the ultimate goal of winning a championship they did not have a losing season. Fans like you don't buy that because they think anything less than winning a Lombardi and having a big parade in February is a failed season.

They were lucky because they had Romo. Without Romo, they definitely would have been lucky to win 3 games. But with Romo, those teams should have won more games. Had it not been for clappy the clown bumbling his way through learning curves and mismanaging on game day, they could have made the playoffs all 3 of those years they were 8-8.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Right "Fans like me" won't accept anything less than a Lombardi. Are you listing to yourself man? That is a ridiculous statement. We have 20 years with almost no success and "Fans like me" aren't happy about it. Also, we have no way of knowing if those teams could have reached 8-8 or better without Romo. Obviously if Romo wasn't here we would be forced to get another Qb and there is no way of knowing how that QB would do with the talent around him. He very well could have done as well as Romo. Some of the Romo fans here think the guy is a god or something. I think instead of giving Romo (An aging QB with back problems and very few signs of life in win or go home/playoff games) a massive contract, we should have worked harder at building the team up and making it stronger all the way around. Instead we broke the bank on a guy that couldn't lead us past an 8-8 average. You have a different opinion.. and that is fine. But please don't try to label me as a certain type of fan that only thinks we either have Lombardi or bust. Especially when the team hasn't done jack squat in 20 years!

ufcrules1

Reaction score
What culture had us with 13 wins last season? I didn't hear a peep from you talking about culture and if I'm not mistaken you had us in the playoffs this year no? I don't remember hearing you speak about culture his offseason.

The team did well last year due to a dominant run game behind a dominant line that blocked extremely well for Romo. That is why Romo had such a good year. This team did what they did despite the poor coaching staff and culture here. It was 100% on the players who took it upon themselves to be self motivated and buck the losing culture around here. That is extremely rare. The know it all's quickly got rid of one of the major reasons for our success which was Murray. Right away it was clear that the team lost its chemistry in the first game of the season this year. 8-8,8-8,8-8, 12-4, 3-8(and might not win another game). This is what the last 5 years have looked like... one of those seasons was a miracle that had VERY little to do with the coaching staff. One good season is not a good enough reason to give the coaching staff praise. You look at the whole picture and frame of work and make decisions based off of that.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
1. He'll be 36 to start next season. If he doesn't retire. He's not getting younger.
2. He has a horrible back that makes him walk like an old man...an extremely problematic ailment that will only get worse.
3. Older players start to struggle with increased injury and slower healing times. Then they retire. Can we even count the number of surgeries and broken ribs and bones Tony has had in the past 3 years?

Statistically speaking even if he didn't have all these mounting injuries...guys that age most often enter a period of steep decline. Time to face facts here.

Window is closed!

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Should have drafted Derek Carr instead of Lawerence! I know shoulda, woulda, coulda ;)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anyone with half a brain knew that Romo was carrying these teams over the years. Last year was a combination of several things to create the perfect storm:

-They finally found an incredible run game to team with Romo and take pressure off the defense
-Romo stayed healthy and we had relatively great health over the entire year
-The defense was near the top of the league in turnovers created

What is a clappy he clown?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The team did well last year due to a dominant run game behind a dominant line that blocked extremely well for Romo. That is why Romo had such a good year. This team did what they did despite the poor coaching staff and culture here. It was 100% on the players who took it upon themselves to be self motivated and buck the losing culture around here. That is extremely rare. The know it all's quickly got rid of one of the major reasons for our success which was Murray. Right away it was clear that the team lost its chemistry in the first game of the season this year. 8-8,8-8,8-8, 12-4, 3-8(and might not win another game). This is what the last 5 years have looked like... one of those seasons was a miracle that had VERY little to do with the coaching staff. One good season is not a good enough reason to give the coaching staff praise. You look at the whole picture and frame of work and make decisions based off of that.

So last year want about the culture then? So why now is it about the culture?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, we have no way of knowing if those teams could have reached 8-8 or better without Romo.
The Cowboys W-L record in games Romo hasn't played since he took over for Bledsoe is absolutely horrible. He should have back problems after carrying the team all those years.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The Cowboys W-L record in games Romo hasn't played since he took over for Bledsoe is absolutely horrible. He should have back problems after carrying the team all those years.

Right because we never had a good backup. Bring another good QB in here and that WL record would be different. Romo is has been part of the dysfunction here too. He doesn't get a pass, nomatter how much you like him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bro, I explained everything to you already, you're just not getting it.

I get what you're saying but from everything you said you seemed to devalue the impact culture had on this team last year but now that we suck it's time to question the culture again. Its impact is only brought up when we have a down year.