CFZ This team needs to stop taking gambles in the second round

phildadon86

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is the latest to prove that taking risks in the second round is a dumb strategy. He was benched in the last game, and that doesn't include his off-season antics.

Sure he may be talented but if the brain doesn't match the talent then what's the point? This is another wasted pick to add to the laundry list of risks taken in the second round by Jerry.

Notable players that were still on the board when Joseph was taken.

Asante Samuel Jr
Walker Little (could help right now with our OL issues)
Rondale Moore
Azeez Ojulari
JOK
Dillon Radunz
Nick Bolton (WOW)
Creed Humphrey
Alim McNeil

Jerry needs to stop it with these project picks in the 2nd. I am all for giving a kid a second chance or taking a risk on a guy who is injured (Damone Clark). However. In the second round you need to draft instant starters. Imagine how this team would look right now with any one of those players on it.

Mind boggling.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Agreed.

I loved Nick Bolton in the draft everyone said he was undersized run stuffer who can't play the pass.
I think he's having a good year.

Asante Samuel talent was also easy to see, I don't think we even had him for a visit
I dont think so either.

Nick Bolton is 5th in the league in tackles currently. I loved him going into the draft. But. We got Bossman Fat

stinkface

Reaction score
Well, dang. Two good posts in a row. Yes, I agree 100 percent. We have a habit of hoping our second round pick is going to be All Pro, when in reality a lot of those "potential All Pro's" flame out because they had some major league warts coming out of school, whether it be off the field or substantial injuries. I'd be happy with a solid player who is going to play at a pretty high level for 4 or 5 years. Most of our second rounders have not done that lately for sure.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well, dang. Two good posts in a row. Yes, I agree 100 percent. We have a habit of hoping our second round pick is going to be All Pro, when in reality a lot of those "potential All Pro's" flame out because they had some major league warts coming out of school, whether it be off the field or substantial injuries. I'd be happy with a solid player who is going to play at a pretty high level for 4 or 5 years. Most of our second rounders have not done that lately for sure.
Diggs and Osa are the ones that stick out as very good picks in the second. Im sorry though. That doesnt make up for the Jaylon Smith Trysten Hill picks.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
We need to stop pretending that the Cowboys constantly miss on 2nd round picks. Since 2010 the Cowboys 2nd round picks have been....

Williams
Diggs
Joseph
Hill
Connor Williams
Awuzie
Jayon Smith
Gregory
Dlaw
Escobar
Carter
Lee

Their are some huge busts on that list, but also some all pro players. I'd be curious how many other teams have had more success over the last decade in the 2nd round. We could always play the hindsight game and find someone taken later that is better, but I'd say probably 7 of those 12 were pretty solid picks

phildadon86

Reaction score
We need to stop pretending that the Cowboys constantly miss on 2nd round picks. Since 2010 the Cowboys 2nd round picks have been....

Williams-Yet to be seen but good player so far.
Diggs-All Pro
Joseph-Need I say more?
Hill-Didnt finish his rookie contract
Connor Williams-Penalty Machine but was serviceable
Awuzie-Got beaten like a drum here but is doing well in Cincy
Jayon Smith-L.O.L
Gregory-Didnt play until his final season and left us for the Broncos after years of this team putting up with his nonsense and being in his corner
Dlaw-Great pick
Escobar-Rest in Peace but drafted because Jerry liked the Hernandez Gronk duo in New England and he was barely used.
Carter-Very athletic. Didnt do much.
Lee-Injury issues in college which followed him to Dallas however one of the most cerebral players I have ever seen. When healthy top 5 LBer in the NFL.

Their are some huge busts on that list, but also some all pro players. I'd be curious how many other teams have had more success over the last decade in the 2nd round. We could always play the hindsight game and find someone taken later that is better, but I'd say probably 7 of those 12 were pretty solid picks
2 All pro players. LOL.

12 players you listed. 4 hit. And its not even about that. This post is about drafting players with ISSUES and PROBLEMS and taking risks in the second round that you shouldnt be taking.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph is the latest to prove that taking risks in the second round is a dumb strategy. He was benched in the last game, and that doesn't include his off-season antics.

Sure he may be talented but if the brain doesn't match the talent then what's the point? This is another wasted pick to add to the laundry list of risks taken in the second round by Jerry.

Notable players that were still on the board when Joseph was taken.

Asante Samuel Jr
Walker Little (could help right now with our OL issues)
Rondale Moore
Azeez Ojulari
JOK
Dillon Radunz
Nick Bolton (WOW)
Creed Humphrey
Alim McNeil

Jerry needs to stop it with these project picks in the 2nd. I am all for giving a kid a second chance or taking a risk on a guy who is injured (Damone Clark). However. In the second round you need to draft instant starters. Imagine how this team would look right now with any one of those players on it.

Mind boggling.
Sam Williams, Sean Lee, but I do understand your thinking

phildadon86

Reaction score
Sam Williams, Sean Lee, but I do understand your thinking
For every 1 or 2 players you find I can list 10 that failed. And this thread isnt about that. Its about being dumb enough to draft them that high in the first place. Taking risks is fine. But in the 2nd round?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Kelvin Joseph was a panic reach for missing out on Surtain and Horn.
And if they would have signed a corner in FA they wouldnt have needed to reach in the first place. This is how crazy our FO is. They were willing to not draft Parsons for Surtain or Horn. Parsons. Surtain and Horn are good/great players dont get me wrong. Parsons is generational though.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agreed.

I loved Nick Bolton in the draft everyone said he was undersized run stuffer who can't play the pass.
I think he's having a good year.

Asante Samuel talent was also easy to see, I don't think we even had him for a visit
I loved Bolton too, but they weren't double dipping at Linebacker and never envisioned Parsons becoming a full time edge rusher.

quickccc

Reaction score
Diggs and Osa are the ones that stick out as very good picks in the second. Im sorry though. That doesnt make up for the Jaylon Smith Trysten Hill picks.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

- Osa was not picked in the 2nd round, .. he was one of three 3rd rd. picks (Osa, Gholston and Wright)

- So I guess " Sam I Am Williams " as a 2nd round pick is on his way to being a dumb strategy too ..?

- I do not think the Joseph pick was dumb strategy at all.
Joseph had college game success vs Heisman WR Devontae Smith, he displayed INT skills, and he was a great athlete at 4.35 speed.
I could understand the theory despite the past red flags prior to the NFL draft. .

- Reportedly the Cowboys coveted Georgia CB Eric Stokes who went to Green Bay in the 1st round.
Just as they thought Samuels Jr. was more of a Jourdan Lewis nickel back slot guy than an outside guy.
He didn’t have the size-length they prefer in outside CBs.