CFZ This team needs to stop taking gambles in the second round

Creeper

Reaction score
From one of my previous posts:

Re: " Reportedly the Cowboys coveted Georgia CB Eric Stokes who went to Green Bay in the 1st round.
Just as they thought Samuels Jr. was more of a Jourdan Lewis nickel back slot guy than an outside guy.
He didn’t have the size-length they prefer in outside CB... "

Sounds like they were looking for speed in the secondary because Stokes was another 4.3 guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
We need to stop pretending that the Cowboys constantly miss on 2nd round picks. Since 2010 the Cowboys 2nd round picks have been....

Williams
Diggs
Joseph
Hill
Connor Williams
Awuzie
Jayon Smith
Gregory
Dlaw
Escobar
Carter
Lee

Their are some huge busts on that list, but also some all pro players. I'd be curious how many other teams have had more success over the last decade in the 2nd round. We could always play the hindsight game and find someone taken later that is better, but I'd say probably 7 of those 12 were pretty solid picks
7 busts. That is a lot. We need to stop pretending that we don't suck in the 2nd round.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just stop taking need over talent. It’s not that complicated.
You know, C, the problem is the exact opposite. Look at those 12 picks. Aside from maybe Awuzie, there were all talent picks.

exciter

Reaction score

My friend. He was kicked out of college for being lazy and unmotivated lol. Definitely didnt need to imagine his lack of maturity, it was there for all to see before the draft
As a freshman, when dumb stuff is expected! You would have thought he would want to capitalize on his skill set and would have grown from it. That incident last year made it apparent he still hasn’t matured. It’s come to bite our ___!

exciter

Reaction score
From one of my previous posts:

Re: " Reportedly the Cowboys coveted Georgia CB Eric Stokes who went to Green Bay in the 1st round.
Just as they thought Samuels Jr. was more of a Jourdan Lewis nickel back slot guy than an outside guy.
He didn’t have the size-length they prefer in outside CB... "
They were after Tyson Campbell, had a prearranged trade up for him. Jacksonville took him a spot or 2 before!

kskboys

Reaction score
Who are the 7 busts? Feels like your expectations are all pro or bust.
I think you are quoting the wrong poster if that's what you think.

Busts:

Escobar
Hill
Jaylon
Carter
Gregory
Connor Williams
Joseph. Joseph could still pan out.

What I expect in the 2nd round are starters. These guys all woefully underperformed. All are clear busts who had the issues before they were drafted.

I have no idea how you could think otherwise.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think you are quoting the wrong poster if that's what you think.

Busts:

Escobar
Hill
Jaylon
Carter
Gregory
Connor Williams
Joseph. Joseph could still pan out.

What I expect in the 2nd round are starters. These guys all woefully underperformed. All are clear busts who had the issues before they were drafted.

I have no idea how you could think otherwise.

Nah I got the right poster....and that's OK, we can have different opinions. I just think what's being put into the bust category is a little harsh.

Joseph though i'm increasingly pessimistic I cant call a bust yet. I'll easily give you Escobar, Hill and Carter. Gregory and CWill I cant call busts. They were both starters for this team, both appeared in roughly 50 games for the Cowboys, signed elsewhere which will net us comp picks and are still starting with their new teams. It may not have been perfect stints or outcomes, but I have to imagine if you redrafted both would be somewhere in the top 3 rounds at least. Jaylon I can go either way on. He was a total project, earned his contract, but he clearly wasnt the same after his first year starting. The guy is starting in the league though FWIW. I'd probably say bust, I was a Myles Jack guy during that draft, but that pick was a decent gamble and the Cowboys did get SOME value.